Father: Nathaniel Claypoole
Mother: Elizabeth Hall
John Claypoole, born 15 Aug 1752 in Mt Holly, New Jersey, was the son of William Claypoole and Elizabeth Hall. His father was the son of Nathaniel son of James Claypoole the immigrant.
He fought in the American Revolution and was wounded at the Battle of Germantown. He carried important dispatches at the Battle of Red Bank. He later enlisted aboard the armed cruiser Luzerne. The ship was captured in 1781 by the English. He was sent to prison in Plymouth, England. It was there he was reunited with an old friend, Capt. Joseph Ashburn, who had also been captured.
Joseph Ashburn, the husband of Elizabeth Griscom - widow of John Ross), died from illness while in prison. John Claypoole married Joseph's widow in 1783, after his release from prison.
- Elizabeth Griscom
- Clarissa Sidney CLAYPOOLE 1785–1864
- Susanna CLAYPOOLE 1786–1875
- Rachel CLAYPOOLE 1789–
- Jane CLAYPOOLE 1792–
- Harriett CLAYPOOLE 1795–1796
- ↑ Genealogy of the Claypoole family of Philadelphia, 1588-1893, page 77
- Genealogies of Pennsylvania Families from the Pennsylvania Genealogical Magazine. Volume III: Stauffer-Zerbe
- Name: John Claypoole
Birth Date: abt 1752 Death Date: 3 Aug 1817 Death Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Age at Death: 65 Burial Date: 3 Aug 1817 Burial Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Gender: Male Cemetery: Free Quakers Burial Ground FHL Film Number: 1862805 Original data: "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Death Certificates, 1803–1915." Index. FamilySearch, Salt Lake City, Utah, 2008, 2010. From originals housed at the Philadelphia City Archives. "Death Records.".
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of John's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 21 Apr 2017 at 01:09 GMT Doug Lockwood wrote:
John is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 15 degrees from Lucrezia Borgia, 20 degrees from Emma MacBeath, 22 degrees from Charles Schulz and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.