Profile last modified 7 Mar 2019
| Created 29 Jun 2017
This page has been accessed 402 times.
Alanna Louise Clements was born in Chicago to mother Eileen Pierson. An out-of-wedlock child generally carries the mother's name, but Alanna's mother was concerned about hiding the truth, and chose to name her Clements. Alanna's biological father is Philip Clement Conner. 
A number of other items on Alanna's birth certificate are also false. (See Research Notes, below.)
Alanna, or "Lanny Lou" was raised by a maternal aunt, Louise Pierson and her husband, named Johnstone. They had two children at the time of Alanna's birth. A third one was soon on the way. Johnstone is the maiden name Alanna used all her life, though it was never made official. . 
Around 1939 Alanna's aunt Louise divorced, remarried and went west. Alanna went to live with her maternal grandparents in Sioux City, Iowa, Kate Coleman and Robert Pierson.
The 1940 census record shows that Alanna, her grandparents and her mother Eileen Pierson were living in the same home. Alanna often said she learned who her mother was when she was about 8 or 9 years old. She also said her grandmother was a very important person in her life. 
1940 census, Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa.
James R Pierson, Head, M, 59, b Iowa;
Catherine Pierson, Wife, F, 59, b Iowa;
Eileen Pierson, Daughter, F, 31, b Iowa;
Anastasia Pierson Daughter, F, 27, b Iowa;
Lanny Lou Johnstone, Granddaughter, F, 7, b Illinois;
Chas P Johnstone, Grandson, M, 6, b Illinois.
As a teenager Alanna sold pop corn at the movie theater and worked as elevator operator; 
She attended Bishop Heelan High School in Sioux City and finished with honors Cum Laude.
Alanna, or "Lonnie" married Bernard J Ryder in 1951. They soon had their first child. She followed her husband to Oklahoma when he was called for active duty in Korea in 1952. A second child was born. She helped and supported her husband while he studied at the University of South Dakota. She gave birth to a third child.
Finally her husband Bernie was hired as a teacher and their family life became more stable. But Bernie suffered an injury, needed back surgery, and as a result of the surgery was paralyzed. By the time he was able to walk again he had lost his job.
In 1961 Alanna and family left Sioux City and settled in Kansas, where Bernie had found employment. Their fourth child was born in Kansas. During the 1970s the family moved a number of times: Oregon, Michigan, Louisiana, Kentucky. .
Alanna was trained and employed as legal assistant at the Davis law firm in Leavenworth, Kansas, where she was highly esteemed; in Oregon she worked in a typing pool; in Kentucky she trained as travel agent and started a new career; she was well known for the attention and care she gave to clients' travel plans. 
Alanna Louise Ryder passed away in 2014, in Lexington, Kentucky.  
False information on birth certificate, entered at time of birth:
- Name of father: Phillip John Clements;
- Name of mother: Eileen Coleman;
- Parents married, residing in : Omaha, Nebraska;
- Mother's trade or profession: Keeping house;
- Father's trade or profession: salesman, furniture store.
- Name of father: Philip Clement Conner (spelling variants: Phillip, Connor);
- Name of mother: Frances Eileen Pierson;
- Parents unmarried;
- Mother Eileen Pierson residing in Sioux City, Iowa;
- Father residing in Sioux City, Iowa;
- Mother employed at Western Union;
- There is no evidence that Philip Clement Conner worked in a furniture store.
- ↑ First-hand information related by Alanna and by her mother Eileen Pierson to C.Ryder .
- ↑ Birth certificate, Alanna Clements, born 14 Jun 1932, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois; File Number 6022154; Archive Collection Name: Cook County Genealogy Records (Births); Archive repository location: Chicago, Illinois; Archive respository name: Cook County Clerk.
- Ancestry.com. Cook County, Illinois Birth Index, 1916-1935 . Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2008.
- Original data: Cook County Clerk, comp. Cook County Clerk Genealogy Records. Cook County Clerk’s Office, Chicago, IL: Cook County Clerk, 2008.
- ↑ High School Yearbook, Heelan High School, Sioux City 
- ↑ First-hand information related by Alanna to C.Ryder
- ↑ "United States Census, 1940," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KM1C-TN2 : 14 March 2018), Eileen Pierson in household of James R Pierson, Area A, Sioux City, Sioux City, Woodbury, Iowa, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 97-58, sheet 1A, line 34, family 13, Sixteenth Census of the United States, 1940, NARA digital publication T627. Records of the Bureau of the Census, 1790 - 2007, RG 29. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, 2012, roll 1215.
- ↑ First-hand information related by Alanna to C.Ryder
- ↑ Alanna Johnstone, elevator operator, 1950. Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 . Provo, UT, USA. *** "Polk's Sioux City Directory 1950", page 228; R.L. Polk & Co., Publishers; 500 Karbach Block, Omaha 2, Nebraska.
- ↑ Alanna Johnstone, usherette, 1948. Ancestry.com. U.S. City Directories, 1822-1995 . Provo, UT, USA. *** "Polk's Sioux City Directory 1948", page 184; R.L. Polk & Co., Publishers; 500 Karbach Block, Omaha 2, Nebraska.
- ↑ reference needed
- ↑ First-hand information entered by C.Ryder
- ↑ sources needed
Obituary Alanna Ryder, published in Lexington Herald Leader, Nov 2 2014.
- Online memorial maintained by Milward Funeral Home, published online at Legacy.com 
- ↑ Find A Grave, database and images (https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/184794406 : accessed 14 August 2018), memorial page for Alanna Louise “Lonnie” Clements Ryder (14 Jun 1932–31 Oct 2014), Find A Grave Memorial no. 184794406, ; Maintained by Deb Lewis Durham (contributor 48821248) Cremated, Location of ashes is unknown.
- Obituary Alanna Ryder; Sioux City Journal; Nov 2, 2014 
More Genealogy Tools
Only the Trusted List can access the following:
- Alanna's formal name
- full middle name (L.)
- exact birthdate
- birth location
- exact deathdate
- death location
- images (1)
- private children's names (1)
- spouse's name and marriage information
For access to Alanna Ryder's full information you must be on the Trusted List. Please login.
See the Contact section of the Tree & Tools