3rd Vice President
Office established by
NY Constitution of 1777
4th Vice President of the United States
1st Governor of
5th Vice President
George was an American soldier and statesman, and has been considered one of the Founding Fathers of the United States. He served as Governor of New York from 1777 to 1795, then again from 1801 to 1804, then serving as the fourth Vice President of the United States from 1805 to 1812, serving under Presidents Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. He is the longest-serving governor in the history of the United States (at a total of 21 years and six terms in office), and he and John C. Calhoun are the only persons to have served as Vice President under two different U.S. Presidents.
On February 7, 1770, Clinton married Sarah Cornelia Tappen (d. 1800); they had five daughters and one son:
- Catharine Clinton (November 5, 1770 – January 10, 1811); married firstly, to John Taylor, and secondly Pierre Van Cortlandt, Jr.
- Cornelia Tappen Clinton (June 29, 1774 – March 28, 1810); married Edmond-Charles Genet
- George Washington Clinton (October 18, 1778 – March 27, 1813); married Anna Floyd, daughter of William Floyd
- Elizabeth Clinton (July 10, 1780 – April 8, 1825); married Matthias B. Tallmadge
- Martha Washington Clinton (October 12, 1783 – February 20, 1795)
- Maria Clinton (October 6, 1785 – April 17, 1829); married Dr. Stephen D. Beekman, a grandson of Pierre Van Cortlandt
Death and Burial
George Clinton died on April 20, 1812, in Washington, D. C., while still a sitting Vice President. He was originally buried at the Congressional Cemetery, Washington, D. C. On May 11, 1908, he was reinterred in the First Dutch Reformed Church Cemetery, Kingston, N.Y. You can read transcripts of newspaper articles about the reinterment at the Congressional Cemetery website.
- Three U.S. states have named counties in Vice President Clinton's honor. They are: Missouri, New York, and Ohio.
- Public Papers of George Clinton (Wynkoop Hallenbeck Crawford Co. in New York, 1900)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
- Research for George Clinton Nov 2, 2014.
No known carriers of George's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
George is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 27 degrees from Ole Evinrude, 16 degrees from Abby Glann, 19 degrees from Charles Schulz and 12 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.