Birth and Baptism
- Born Uxbridge, Middlesex, England, May 1636.
- Baptized 13 May 1636, at St. Margaret's, Uxbridge, Hillingdon, Middlesex, England, 'Christopher sonne of William Comstoc?? ' See image of baptismal record at right.
- Previous estimates and discussions supporting birth and relationship:
- Christopher Comstock, son of William was born about 1635, Norwalk Connecticut. 
Emigration to North America
- Not yet known. His father William seems to have come over somewhere between 1636 and 1639. Perhaps Christopher came with him then, as a small child.
- He married on October 6, 1663 Hannah Platt, daughter of Richard and Mary Platt, free planters of Milford, New Haven Colony. 
Children of Christopher and Hannah
- all born at Norwalk, Connecticut Colony.
- Daniel b. 1664 m. Elizabeth Wheeler
- Hannah b. 1666 m. Fenn
- Abigail b. 1669 d. 1689
- Mary b. 1671 m. James St John
- Elizabeth b. 1674 m. Ebenezer St. John
- Mercy b. 1676 m. Nathan Olmstead as his second wife
- Samuel b. 1679 m. Sarah Hanford
- Moses b. 1685 m. Abigail Brinsmade
Life in Connecticut
- Christopher settled in Fairfield, New Haven Colony, by 1654, age 18. He was still 'of Fairfield' in January 1661/62, when he purchased real estate in Norwalk.
- 29 May 1654, at New Haven. Christopher made affidavit about a visit to goodwife Knapp accused of witchcraft. She was executed. [In another place this date is given as 22 Jan 1661. Knapp was apparently not of the Knapp family that married into my Allen family. Hester, wife of Andrew Ward [the Wards being my direct ancesters] also testified that Goodwife Knapp had told her the wife of Thomas Staples was also a witch.]
- Christopher on 27 Jan 1661/62 purchased a home and house lot, including orchard, barn, and other buildings, in Norwalk, from Thomas Betts, planter. Christopher, then 26 years old, is called "of Fairfield.' This lot is labeled 'Nath. Eli, then Thos. Betts, who sold 1/2 to Christopher Comstock' on the fold-out map in Hall's Ancient Historical Records of Norwalk.. The lot sits on the northeast corner of what is, in 2016, the intersection of East Avenue and Myrtle Street, just north of the railroad.
- Christopher was chosen as tavernkeeper in 1672. The town meeting of 9 Feb. 1671/72 chose and approved Christopher Comstock 'to kepe an ordinary for the entertaynment of strangers.' Perhaps the tavern was to entertain the locals as well?
- Christopher also served on a grand jury, 19 Sep 1692, to examine witches.
- Christopher died at Norwalk, Connecticut, December 28, 1702, in his 67th year. and was buried at Canoe Hill Cemetery, New Canaan, Fairfield County, Connecticut. His memorial has links to those of many family members.
- He left a Will dated Dec 22 1701 in Norwalk CT
- ↑ http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?db=LMAearlyparish&gss=sfs28_ms_db&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsfn=Christopher&gsfn_x=0&gsln=Coomestocke&gsln_x=0&MSAV=1&uidh=ey4 , the St. Margaret's Church Records, accessed 26 Dec 2016.
- ↑ Mary Jane Comstock, Compiler; Comstock-Haggard and Allied Families; (Chicago: Adams Press, 1973)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 3.7 John A. Comstock. A history and genealogy of the Comstock family in America. Published: Los Angeles, Priv. print. for the author by the Commonwealth Press, 1949. p. 2,4. A HathiTrust e-book. JAComstock
- ↑ Hinman, Royal, R., Connecticut Puritan Settlers
- ↑ Lovejoy and Cuneo, 'Transcription from Town of Norwalk realty transaction files', maintained at the Norwalk Public Library History Room, vol. 1, p. 36
- ↑ Hall, Edwin, The Ancient Historical Records of Norwalk, Connecticut: With a Plan of the Ancient Settlement, and of the Town in 1847
- ↑ Personal knowledge of Halsey Bullen.
- ↑ Hall, Edwin, The Ancient and Historical Records of Norwalk, (Norwalk: 1847), examined 27 Dec 2016 at the Norwalk Public Library History Room, pp,61-62
- ↑ Connecticut Town Death Records, pre-1870 (Barbour Collection) Christopher Comstock.
- ↑ Christopher Comstock memorial at Find A Grave.
- WikiTree profile Comstock-414 created through the import of Kimpton Paternal Oct 2012.ged on Oct 3, 2012 by Jim Kimpton.
- This profile was created on 13 September 2010 through the import of 124-DeCoursey.ged.
- WikiTree profile Comstock-310 created through the import of Comstock for Wiki.ged on Jul 27, 2011 by Kay Haden.
- WikiTree profile Comstock-213 created through the import of ross20genancestors-children6-22-2011.ged on Jun 22, 2011 by Lamar Ross.
- Thank you to Susan Potts for creating WikiTree profile Comstock-575 through the import of 15 generations.ged on Oct 30, 2013.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Christopher's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Walter Steesy, Susan Potts, and Lamar Ross. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 7 Mar 2015 at 02:08 GMT Jeanette (Gartman) Barott wrote:
Christopher is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 9 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 21 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.