- William Cooper's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- State of Arkansas
- County of Pulaski
- Township of Big Rock
- I, Jesse Brown a Justice of the peace within and for the Township, County and State aforesaid do hereby certify than [that] on the 25th day of December AD 1839 I united in marriage William Cooper of the age of twenty five years and Maria Garrett of the age of sixteen years being an orphan and having no legal guardian as she alledged, both residing in the City of Little Rock in the County and State aforesaid. Given under my hand at Office in said County, this 31st day of January A.D. 18[40?].
- J. Brown, J. P.
- Filed on the 3rd February 1840 and recorded on the 12th February 1840
- Lemuel [?] Lincoln, Recorder
- p. 13 and 14
Is the above the marriage of Mariah Garrett the sister of Spills Garrett and Mickie Garrett? Was she truly an orphan or had she eloped with William? Mariah's father may have been deceased, but was her mother alive and living in Arkansas, perhaps Hot Springs, Arkansas?
1840 Hot Springs County, Arkansas Census, p. 153
William Cooper and 1 female residing beside Nancy Garrett. Nancy was likely the mother of Mariah (Garrett) Cooper. Could Nancy be Nancy (Brown) Garrett?
1850 Saline County, Arkansas Census
- William.....33 M W Farmer TN 1839
- Mariah Ann..32 F W VA
- Jacob.......10 M W AR
- Nancy Ann....8 F W AR
- Rachel E.....6 F W AR
- Emeline......3 F W AR
- James........1 M W AR
There was a 1908 land transaction for A William L. Cooper in Saline County, the Paron, Arkansas area, south of Paron and east of what is currently Hot Springs Village, Arkansas. Garretts and Smiths also lived in the Paron area.
- "Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NMPV-44W : accessed 26 Jun 2013), William Cooper and Maria Garrett, 1839.
- "United States Census, 1840," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XHBX-8KP : accessed 25 Jun 2013), William Cooper, 1840.
- "United States Census, 1850," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M67W-C5Y : accessed 25 Jun 2013), William Cooper, 1850.
- "United States Census, 1860," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M87T-J3P : accessed 25 Jun 2013), William Cooper, 1860.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Debby Black and James Cooper. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
William is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 18 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 27 degrees from Ayn Rand, 21 degrees from Peter Roberts and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.