When Alma was born in 1900, the family's name was Crabb. (2)
The family name was changed from Crabb to Crabtree in Probate Court, Piscataquis County, State of Maine, Oct. 4, 1910.(4)
Alma, age 9, appears in the 1910 U.S. Census in Dover, Maine, along with her parents, David (age 32) and Edith (age 26); and her younger siblings, Clifford (age 7), Beecher (5), Jesse (3), and Hope (infant). (3)
Alma becomes a teacher and marries George McLellan, a farmer, in 1921 when they are both 20 years old. They marry at the Presbyterian Manse in Kincardine, New Brunswick, with clergyman Gordon Pringle presiding. Their witnesses are William S. Low and Bella Mitchell. (5)
George and Alma eventually have 11 children. (1) (7)
[After Alma is widowed] she later marries Guy Nickerson.(6)
In April 1984, Alma dies at age 84 in Hartford, Connecticut. (8)
She is buried at West Cemetery, Plainville, Hartford County, Connecticut. (9) Thanks to Patricia Parkhurst Pickard for information about Alma's death.
2. Birth: "Maine, Vital Records, 1670-1907 ," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VZ3G-BDG : accessed 13 Dec 2013), Alma Adelia Crabtree, 1900.
3. "United States Census, 1910," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MR3F-WS2 : accessed 21 Dec 2013), Alma Crabb in household of David J Crabb, Dover, Piscataquis, Maine, United States; citing sheet , family 394, NARA microfilm publication T624, FHL microfilm 1374558.
4. Record from the Probate Court, State of Maine, County of Piscataquis, 4 Oct 1910; copy in my possession 12/12/2013, Clair Harris Zarges; sent to me by Duane E. Crabtree, son of Talmage Dewitt Crabb in an email dated 30 July 2001.
5. Official Notice of Marriage Registered Number 005636. Provincial Archives of New Brunswick (Canada), Vital Statistics from Government Records (RS 141), accessed 20 Dec. 2013 at http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=df99ef91-eb4e-4e3c-8960-e689c37f1af3. Digitized copy downloaded and in my possession. Clair Zarges
6. "Connecticut, Marriage Index, 1959-2001," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VWRR-DRW : accessed 21 Dec 2013), Ernes G Nickerson and Alma A Mclellan, 1971.
7. Kith and Kin of the Kinneys, by Fern Gallup Kinney. [nd]. PDF:http://home.comcast.net/~kinneyed/KithAndKin_image.pdf
8. "United States Social Security Death Index," index, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JK8Y-8XM : accessed 21 Dec 2013), Alma Nickerson, April 1984; citing U.S. Social Security Administration, Death Master File, database (Alexandria, Virginia: National Technical Information Service, ongoing).
Thanks to Clair Zarges for starting this profile. Click the Changes tab for the details of contributions by Clair and others.
On 4 Nov 2013 Clair (Harris) Zarges wrote:
"I remember back when I was maybe 15 or 16, Alma and I used to write to each other lot. She had such a youthful mindset. It was more like she was a teenager than a woman in her 60's. She told me of how she'd go over to the retirement home across from the assisted living place where she lived and play piano for the "old folks" on Sunday. Heck, half of them were probably younger than she was. Lol. She thought it was such a scandal when she married Guy. Oooh...she was 72, he was only 69....a younger man."
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Alma is 21 degrees from SJ Baty, 23 degrees from Orville Redenbacher and 19 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.