Captain Stephen Crosby was b. in Thompson, Connecticut, 5th January, 1734; d. on the retreat from New York, 15th September, 1776; Capt. Stephen Crosby was one of the most prominent men of his day in Thompson and represented his town in the Legislature of 1776 as Representative; at the first call of the Lexington Alarm he went out as Sergeant of Captain Elliott's Company, and in June, 1776, was commissioned Captain in Wadsworth's Brigade, 3d Regiment, Col. Comfort Sage. On the retreat through Harlem, General Putnam's Division suffered sorely, and Captain Crosby was one of those who died. His body was never sent home, but a monument is erected to his memory in the cemetery at West Thompson, Connecticut; m. 16th February, 1755, Hannah Carroll dau. of John and Rebecca Carroll, b. 24th August, 1736, d. in Thompson, Connecticut 27th December, 1813, she m. (secondly) 8th May, 1783, Jacob Mascraft.
1. Elijah, b. 19th May, 1756; d. 16th August, 1831; m. Celia Bates.
2. Sarah, b. 4th December, 1758; d. 24th December, 1758.
3. Sybil, b. 8th March, 1760; d. 5th April, 1829; m. Capt. William Russell,
4. Pearson, b. 14th February, 1763; d. 19th September, 1829; m. Hannah Bates.
5. Betty, b. 16th October, 1765; d. 28th April, 1785; m. David White.
6. Hannah, b. 16th August, 1768; d. 8th July, 1843; married; Jothan Johnson.
7. Stephen, b. 9th October, 1772; d. 15th September, 1849, married Susanna Johnson.
8.. Sarah, b. 20th November, 1776; d. 22A December, 1854; m. Capt. Wyman Carroll.
↑ "United States Rosters of Revolutionary War Soldiers and Sailors, 1775-1783," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QG2M-61J6 : 18 March 2018), Stephen Crosby, 26 Jun 1776; citing Military Service, Killingly, Windham, Connecticut, United States, Citing various published state rosters, United States; FHL microfilm 101711093.
Is Stephen your ancestor? Please don't go away! Login to collaborate or comment, or contact
the profile manager, or ask our community of genealogists a question.
Sponsored Search by Ancestry.com
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Stephen by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA.
However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line.
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Stephen: