- Judith (Davis) Goslin's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Judith may have been a "Davies"
Judith was born about 1762. Judith Davis ... She passed away before 1853.  There is plenty of information on the net regarding Judith Davis that is simply wrong. Many sources have her birthplace as Lancaster Georgia which doesn't seem to exist. Lancaster South Carolina seems more likely. Other sources have her birth in 1760 in Rowan County, North Carolina Colony.
The same confusion applies to John and Judith's place of marriage. Many sources have their marriage taking place at Hope Plantation, Rowan County, NC. There was a Hope Plantation in Bertie County that was the home of David Stone, a member of the coastal Carolina planter class, later Governor of North Carolina. It's likely that researchers have confused Hope Plantation with the Hope Community of Wachovia.
Hope Moravian Church was founded near the end of the American Revolution as an English speaking congregation. On August 26, 1780, the congregation of Hope was formally organized with Br. Johann Christian Fritz serving as resident pastor. This church was John Goslin's mother, Elizabeth's dream come true. However, they were married about six months before the Old Hope Moravian Church was consecrated and there is no record in Moravian Archives of this wedding taking place there. So were they married in Salisbury?
John Ghostlin in the North Carolina, Marriage Index, 1741-2004, Rowan County, Reel # 020 page # 3720
Originally, Rowan County was a vast territory with an indefinite western boundary. Reductions in its extent began in 1770
Many sources on the net have John dying in 1785, however he is mention in his mother's will in 1802
Daughter Jane Goslin(1785–1851) is born in Rowan Co., North Carolina. (the 1850 census gives her birthplace as Georgia)
In 1790 we find "a" John Goslin living in Jones County North Carolina, in the first U.S. Census with 2 free white males over 10, 2 free white males under 10, 7 free white females and 1 slave, 
Many sources give Judith's death date as 6 May 1851, in Jones Co. North Carolina, the same date that her daughter, Jane Goslin Simmons dies in Simmonsville Mississippi.
John Goslin b: Frederick Co., MD d: in Jones Co., NC 
"Silver Creek Simmons," Campbell and Simmons, ed., 1966 Page: pg. 3Text: Family oral history says Jane lived in Lancaster Co. SC when she met and wed Willis. The marriage is listed in the "Newton County Historical Society"(???) records'.
- ↑ Entered by Michael Fortenberry, Mar 6, 2013
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hope_Plantation
- ↑ http://www.hopemoraviannc.org/History.htm
- ↑ http://files.usgwarchives.net/nc/rowan/vitals/marriages/rowanmar.txt
- ↑ http://www.genealogybuff.com/nc/nc-marr-g.htm
- ↑ http://interactive.ancestry.com/8909/NCVR_M_C085_63008-0140?pid=1606553&backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestry.com%2f%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3findiv%3d1%26dbid%3d8909%26h%3d1606553%26ssrc%3dpt%26tid%3d78676066%26pid%3d42502523981%26usePUB%3dtrue&ssrc=pt&treeid=78676066&personid=42502523981&hintid=&usePUB=true
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rowan_County,_North_Carolina
- ↑ http://genealogytrails.com/ncar/jones/cen_1790_headsoffamilies.html
- ↑ http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/SCANDERS/2005-05/1117311828
- ↑ http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=cal-gal&id=I0141
Thanks to Michael Fortenberry for starting this profile.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Judith by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Judith:
- Pat Simmons : 23andMe, GEDMatch M392412
- Miranda Fortenberry : 23andMe, GEDMatch M382351
- William Fortenberry : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A205686, Ancestry member georgiaboy29
- Jennie Yates : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A571426, Ancestry member jennie_yates
- L. Williams : AncestryDNA
- Teresa Fortenberry : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, FTDNA kit #419935
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Allan Thomas and Michael Fortenberry. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Judith is 22 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 15 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 19 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 19 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.