- William Davis's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Born in Wales in 1617 to William Davis. Mother Unknown
NOTE : In process of sorting out the 16 children with his three wives but it appears that, at WikiTree, a faulty gedcom was uploaded that included his Goddard grandchildren as his children
William married (1) Elizabeth and had 3 children.
William married (2) Alice Thorpe and had 4 children.
William married (3) Jane and had 3 children.
He passed away on 1683 in Roxbury.
The last Will and Testament of William Daves
The last Will and Testament of William Daves of Roxbury in the County of Suffolk in New England the 6th of December in the year of our Lord One thousand six hundred Eighty three, now having my perfect memory & understanding by the blessing of my mercifull Father, into whose hands I commit my Soule:
Unto my daughter Elizabeth (daughter of Alice) I consigne over a bill of twelve pounds and a trunck that was her mothers together with all the things in it. And unto my son Mathew and Jonathon (sons of Alice) when they come to age they shall have the two Orchards lying neer my son Joseph's and if they are not worth Forty pounds then the Overseers of the Estate shall sell some Land for to make it up, their portion twenty pounds apiece.
And then for my beloved wife I do make her sole Executrix of all y rest of my Estate of Lands and movables and give her full power for to dispose of it for her wants as shee see cause, with that full power and Authority over it as I my selfe might have if I had continued For my three eldest son's John and Samuel and Joseph (sons of Elizabeth), they have received their portions already, notwith standing I give unto my son John, the eldest of my Children five shilling, and to Samuel and Joseph five and sixpence to buy them some good bookes to remember me with: And Further my desire is that there should bee two Over Seers chose who my wife see good:
This is my last will and Testament.
In Witness whereof I have set to my hand the day and yeare above written
William Davis a mark
In presence of us, Jabez Tolman, John Searle
At an adjournment of y County Court in Boston 17th December 1685 pursuant to y direction of y Will, Jane Davis Exec made choice of Edward Morris and Jabez Tolman to be overseers for y end proposed in y will, wch, persons y Court approved of Attest Is Addington CT
More on William Davis & Family
William Davis, (I) ancestor of Dyer Davis, of Dudley, was in Roxbury, MA, in 1642. A tradition held extensively in the family is that he came from Wales about 1635. He was born in 1617 and married (first) Elizabeth___. She was buried May 4, 1658. He married (second), Oct. 21, 1658, Alice Thorpe. She was buried Feb. 24, 1667. He married (third) Jane ___. He was admitted to full communion Apr. 20, 1673. He died Dec. 9, 1683. Widow Jane died May 12, 1714, at Watertown, at the residence of Josiah Goddard, who married her daughter Rachel. He had three children by his first wife, four by the second and three by the third. Six other children are believed to have bee the children of Jane. The children were born at Roxbury and baptized in the church there. They were: John, b. Oct 1, 1643; Samuel, b. Feb. 21, 1645; Joseph, b. Oct. 12, 1647; William and Elizabeth (twins), bapt. Jun. 14, 1663, buried Dec. 18, 1678; Mathew, bapt. Jan. 24, 1664, settled at Woodstock, CT; Jonathan, b. Feb. 2, 1665, settled at Woodstock; Mary, b. Mar. 28, 1669; Jane, b. Dec. 24, 1670; Rachel, b. Aug. 26, 1672, married Jan. 28, 1696, Josiah Goddard, of Watertown, and had nine children; Benjamin, bapt. Jan. 7, 1674; Ichabod, bapt. Apr. 1, 1676; Ebenezer, bapt. Apr. 9, 1678; William, bapt. Jan. 3, 1680; Sarah, bapt. Jul. 20, 1681; Isaac, bapt. Apr. 18, 1683.
All the children were born at Roxbury and baptized in the church there.
By first wife, Elizabeth___, who was buried May 4, 1658. They had: John, b. Oct 1, 1643; Samuel, b. Feb. 21, 1645; Joseph, b. Oct. 12, 1647;
By second wife (married Oct. 21, 1658), Alice Thorpe who was buried Feb. 24, 1667. They had: William and Elizabeth (twins), bapt. Jun. 14, 1663, buried Dec. 18, 1678; Mathew, bapt. Jan. 24, 1664, and settled at Woodstock, CT; Jonathan, b. Feb. 2, 1665, who also settled at Woodstock;
By third wife, Jane (Adams) who died May 12, 1714, at Watertown, at the residence of Josiah Goddard, who married her daughter Rachel. They had: Mary, b. Mar. 28, 1669; Jane, b. Dec. 24, 1670; Rachel, b. Aug. 26, 1672, married Jan. 28, 1696, Josiah Goddard, of Watertown, and had nine children;
Children by wife, Jane, not mentioned in his Will
William had three children by his first wife, four by the second and three by the third.
Six other children are believed to have been the children of Jane are not their children ( they are his grandchildren) Those remaining six are as follows: Benjamin, bapt. Jan. 7, 1674; Ichabod, bapt. Apr. 1, 1676; Ebenezer, bapt. Apr. 9, 1678; William, bapt. Jan. 3, 1680; Sarah, bapt. Jul. 20, 1681; Isaac, bapt. Apr. 18, 1683.
- Husband: William Davis
- First Wife: Elizabeth
- Child: John Davis
- Child: Samuel Davis
- Child: Joseph Davis
By Second wife :
- 2nd Wife: Alice Thorpe
- Child: Elizabeth Davis
- Child: William Davis
- Child: Matthew Davis
- Child: Jonathan Davis
By third wife, :Jane Unknown or Adams
- Child: Jane Davis
- Child: Mary Davis
- Child: Rachel Davis
Supposedly children of Jane and William David not mentioned in his Will
- Child: Benjamin Davis
- Child: Ichabod Davis
- Child: Ebenezer Davis
- Child: William Davis
- Child: Sarah Davis
- Child: Isaac Davis
- Child: Alice Davis
- DEATH: Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988, Holbrook Research Institute (Jay and Delene Holbrook)
- Clemens, William Montgomery, American Marriages Before 1699 (Pompton Lakes, NJ, USA: Biblio Co., 1926)
- Ancestry Family Trees: Publication: Online publication - Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network. Original data: Family Tree files submitted by Ancestry members.
- Edmund West, comp. Family Data Collection - Individual Records (Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2001)
- Birth year: 1617; Birth city: Eng.; Birth state: OR.
- Birth date: 1617 Birth place: Eng, OR
- Death date: 9 December 1683 Marriage date: 1668
- U.S. and International Marriage Records, 1560-1900 Yates Publishing: The Generations Network, Inc. (Provo, UT, USA, The Generations Network, Inc., 2004).
- Birth date: 1617 Birth place: Marriage date: Marriage place: of MA
- The Millennium File (Heritage Consulting)
- ↑ U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700 for William Davis
- ↑ 'The Davis Family of Oxford, MA & Woodstock, CT
- ↑ Extracted from Historic Homes & Institutions and Personal Memoirs of Worcester, County, Massachusetts. Prepared under the Editorial Supervision of Ellery Bicknell Crane, and Published by the Lewis Publishing Company, 1907. Vol # 3, pages 69-70
- ↑ William Davis Source for information on William is also 'Ancestors and descendants of Solomon Davis.' William came, most likely, from Carmarthen in South Wales.
- ↑ Or, an easier to read version: William Davis was in Roxbury, MA, in 1642. A tradition held extensively in the family is that he came from Wales about 1635. He was born in 1617. He was admitted to full communion Apr. 20, 1673. He died Dec. 9, 1683.
- ↑ Edmund West
On 24 Mar 2013 Homer Hopper wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Homer Hopper, Merry Ann Palmer, Judith Snyder, Susan Martin, and Jennifer Shaw. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 25 Jul 2015 at 07:05 GMT Ellen Spertus wrote:
On 21 Jan 2015 at 03:34 GMT Maggie N. wrote:
On 21 Jan 2015 at 02:03 GMT Maggie N. wrote:
Also some of his Goddard grandchildren are mixed up in this family group ( and with the last name of Davis !).
On 28 Apr 2014 at 20:16 GMT Susan Martin wrote:
On 14 Sep 2013 at 00:57 GMT M. (Stewart) H. wrote:
William is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 25 degrees from Bob Dylan, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 16 degrees from Michael Phelps and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.