PHILIP DENMAN, son of John Denman and Mary Gano, was born in 1704 at Newtown on Long Island, New York, as were all the children of John and Mary.
Philip married (1) Sarah Crane, daughter of John Crane and Esther Williams.
Children of Philip Denman and (1) Sarah Crane:
1. Joseph Denman (b 1735 - 21 Oct 1819) married about 1756 his cousin (1) Catherine Townley, daughter of Effingham Townley and Rebecca Crane, the sister of Sarah Crane, Joseph's mother. The Townley ancestors came from England in 1683. and were connected with Sir George Carteret. Colonial Secretary of New Jersey. Joseph and (1) Catherine had eight children. a. Child Denman died young. b. Child Denman died young. c. Matthias Denman (b 27 Feb 1760 NJ - d 8 Sep 1838 in Licking Co., OH at 78y); married circa 1781 to Rhoda Elston d. Catherine Nancy Denman married circa 1777 to Stephen Badgley. e. Samuel Denman f. Joseph Denman (b 1767) married 1788 to Sarah Willis. Joseph Denman died on August 1, 1845 at Miami County, Ohio at 78y. g. Sarah Denman married Abram Miller and they had three children. h. William Denman married Phebe Woodruff and had seven children. (1) David, born in 1792; (2) Joseph Denman, in 1794; (3) Aaron C. Denman in 1796; (4) Elizabeth Denman in 1798; (5) Jennie Denman 1800; (6) Luther Denman 1804; (7) William Parsill Denman1806.
After the death of Catherine in 1774, Joseph married again. Joseph married in 1778 to (2) Sarah Woodruff, the sister of his brother Philip's second wife, Abigail Woodruff. Sarah (Woodruff) Denman died in about ten months leaving no child. After her death, Joseph married to (3) unknown widow, there were no children by this third wife. Joseph married (4) Sarah Woolley, sister of Col. Abram Woolley. Joseph and (4) Sarah had no children.
2. Mary Denman (circa 1735 - ????) married 22 Oct 1758 in New Jersey to Daniel Pierson and had a daughter, Abigail Mary, who married a Scotchman named William Drennan, and had a daughter Mary, born in 1814, who married Lowell Fletcher of Boston, and had nine children. This whole family moved to Cincinnati, where Mr. Drennan died in. 1832, and where there are some of their descendants still living. a. Abigail Mary Pierson married a Scotchman, William Drennan, and they had a daughter. (1) Mary Drennan (b 1814) married Lowell Fletcher of Boston, MA. They had nine children. Lowell and Mary moved to Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio with their entire family. Lowell Fletcher died in 1832.
3. Jacob Denman (1739-1777) married Hannah Hoel on 25 May 1773.
4. Abigail Denman (circa 1749-after 1778) married 4 June 1869 in Elizabethtown, Union Co., NJ to Nehemiah Woodruff.
5. Philip / Phillip Denman (1749-10 January 1825 Union Co., NJ) married 1771 to (1) Sarah Brookfield; married 5 Dec 1781 to (2) Abigail Woodruff.
6. Mathias Denman (13 Feb 1751-24 Jan 1841 Union Co., NJ; married 15 Dec 1770 NJ to Phebe Baldwin; married 1805 to Abigail Woodruff;
7. William Denman (1752-1819); married circa 1767 at Hanover, Morris Co., NJ to Prudence Bedford. William at Morrow, Ohio is buried there in the Wayne Baptist Cemetery,
8. Samuel Denman (1753-1782) married 9 Dec 1777 to Elizabeth Acan. Samuel Denman died at Litchfield, Litchfield Co., CT.
WikiTree profile Denman-55 created through the import of Godfrey non-living.ged on 14 Jun 2011 by Jim Godfrey.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Joseph is 14 degrees from Robert Beheathland, 15 degrees from Bartholomew Gosnold, 12 degrees from Thomas Graves, 15 degrees from Anne Laydon, 15 degrees from Alice Longe, 12 degrees from Samuel Mathews, 17 degrees from Christopher Newport, 16 degrees from John Smith, 11 degrees from Nathaniel Tatum, 11 degrees from Temperance West, 12 degrees from Francis Wyatt and 18 degrees from Valerie Penner on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.
Philip Dexmax was born in 1704. at Newtown on Long Island, as were all the children of John Denman and ^Nlary Gano. and died at Springfield, N. J., in 1780. He married Sarah, daughter of John Crane and Esther Williams, and had a family of two daughters, Mary and Abigail, and six sons, Joseph, Jacob, William, Philip, :\Iathias and Samuel. Marx married Daniel Pierson and had a daughter, Abigail Mary, who married a Scotchman named William Drennan, and had a daughter Mary, born in 1814, who married Lowell Fletcher of Boston, and had nine children. This whole family moved to Cincinnati, where Mr. Drennan died in. 1832, and where there are some of their descen- dants still living. The other daughter, Abigjjil, married Xehe- miah Woodruff in 1769. We have no further record of her. The eldest son, Joseph, born in 1735, was married first to his cousin, Catherine Townley. the daughter of Etifingham Townley and Rebecca Crane, the sister of Sarah Crane, his mother. The Townley ancestors came from England in 1683. and were con- nected with Sir George Carteret. Colonial Secretary of New Jersey. After the death of his first wife, in 1774, Joseph was mar- ried in 1778 to Sarah Woodruff, the sister of his brother Philip's second wife, Abigail Woodruff". She died in about ten months. leaving no child. The third wife, a widow whose name is not on record, also left no family. The fourth wife, Sarah Woolley,
44 LINE OF PHILIP
sister of Col. Abram Woolley. died childless. The marriage of Joseph Denm.\n to his first wife. Catherine Townley. occurred in 1755 or 1756. when he was but twenty or twenty-one. They had SL family of eight children, two who soon died, and Alathias, born 1760. Xancy. Samuel. Joseph. Sarah and William. The records of some of these children are very incomplete. Mafhias was married in 1785 to Rhoda Elstone and had five children. Joseph married Sarah \\'illis in 1788. Sarah married Abram Miller and had three children. JVilliam, the youngest child of Joseph and Catherine, married Phebe Woodrufif and had seven children. David, born in 1792; Joseph, in 1794; Aaron C. in 1796; Elizabeth, in 1798; Jennie, in 1800; Luther, in 1804; Wil- liam Parsill, in 1806.
Of these seven children of William Dexmax and Phebe Woodrufif, David, the eldest, married Rosetta Maibee ; Joseph married Abigail Miller, and died in 1871 ; Aaron C. was married in 1825 to his second cousin, Phebe. youngest daughter of Philip Denman and Abigail Woodrufif; Elizabeth married Benjamin Scudder. and died in 1874; Jennie died in infancy; Luther mar- ried Caroline Denman }^Ierrill and had nine daughters (see below) ; William Parsill married Louisa Littell. David Denman and Rosetta ]Maibee had a large family. Joseph Denman and Abigail Miller had thirteen children. Others had smaller families. http://www.archive.org/stream/denmanfamilyhist00harr/denmanfamilyhist00harr_djvu.txt http://www.stonehouse.ca/tree/p589.htm#i29428