This profile has been the recipient of merge with incorrect attribution of relatives - ALL innocent mistakes - but these need to be corrected so the familial relationships are correct. I will swing back round to do this - until then please do not make further relationship related changes to this profile. Thanks! Gaulden-7 11:20, 27 August 2017 (EDT) John Jr. is not the the brother of John Sr. to start.
John was born in 1827. "John Barnett Dillard and his brother, Albert George Dillard, and William Barnett Dillard, son of Albert George Dillard, --- served in the 4th Georgia Cavalry (State Guards), H. W. Cannon's Company in Colonel Robert White's Regiment. Early in the war some 250 companies of Georgians enlisted in the state militia. The Georgia 4th Cavalry was mustered out of service on February 4, 1864 in that the terms of the enlistments of the troops had expired. This was set forth in a letter from Major General Howell Cobb, Commanding Officer. No history of combat for this regiment has been found, but the Georgia militia served with the regular Confederate troops during the Atlanta Campaign and in opposing Sherman’s March to the Sea. As above indicated, John Barnett Dillard and William Barnett Dillard joined the 11th Georgia Cavalry, Company F to continue fighting in the war." John Dillard ... He passed away in 1895.
John Barnett Dillard of Rabun County, Georgia was born on May 1, 1827 and died October 25, 1895. He was the second son and fifth child of James Dillard and Sarah Barnard Dillard. John Barnett Dillard was one of the younger children born in Rabun County.
The 1840 census for Rabun County identifies John B. Dillard as a male up to fifteen years of age in the household of his parents. In 1849 John B. Dillard was a 22 years old purchaser of personal property in the estate of John Kelly, deceased. The 1850 Rabun County census lists John Barnett Dillard, age 23, living in the household of his parents with his brother, William Dillard, his sisters, Nancy and Margaret, and his nephew, James B. Lambert, a child of his deceased sister, Caroline. That was before he married.
It is thought that John B. Dillard’s real name may have been “Barnard” after his mother’s maiden name. “Barnett” is a common misspelling and mispronunciation of “Barnard.” However, the name “Barnett” was clearly used in Confederate correspondence in which he legibly signed his name. The Georgia Confederate Pensions and Records Department in Compiled Commissions and Rosters record that John Barnett Dillard was five feet nine inches tall with blue eyes.
John Barnett Dillard at age 23 married Rachel Matilda McKinney, age 19, on December 16, 1850. Rachel McKinney Dillard was born in Rabun County, Georgia on June 3, 1831. She was a daughter of William McKinney and Margaret Anderson McKinney, who resided on a farm on Betty’s Creek at the site of the present Dillard Elementary School. That was a short distance west of the James Dillard lands. John B. Dillard’s brother, Albert George Dillard, married Rachel’s sister, Elizabeth (“Betsy”) McKinney. The McKinneys were among the 1830’s settlers of Rabun County where they migrated from Buncombe County, North Carolina.
Rachel McKinney was described by her son as a high tempered and determined redhead who had no problem in maintaining discipline among her seven sons.
John B. Dillard along with his brother, A. G. Dillard, were received “by experience” into the Head of the Tennessee Baptist Church and baptized in November, 1854. John Barnett Dillard and his wife were listed as members of Head of Tennessee Baptist Church in minutes dated July 23, 1863. John B. Dillard served as clerk of the congregation as recorded in the minutes of that church dated November 1871.
A. J. Ritchie records in History of the Head of the Tennessee Baptist Church, 1963, page 9, that “Barnett” Dillard made the pulpit for the wooden church building commenced in 1882 and completed several years later. Ritchie states that this pulpit was refinished and placed in the building in use in 1963.
John B. Dillard was in Confederate service for about four years and served in combat in the major battles in Virginia. He was wounded but survived. John Barnett Dillard’s initial Confederate military service was in the state militia in Rabun County. He is listed under the name “Barnnett Dillard” in the Georgia 4th Calvary (State Guards), Cannon’s Company. This is the same company in which his older brother, Albert George Dillard, served. Record No. 177 of the National Archives lists “Barnett Dillard” as a private in Cannon’s Company, 4th Georgia Calvary (State Guards). Records in the National Archives lists “Barnnett Dillard” on the muster roll for six months in Company D of Georgia 4 Calvary (State Guards) and as a private in Captain H. W. Cannon’s Company (Brown Mountain Riflemen), Colonel Robert White’s Regiment, Georgia.
It is recorded in the Register of Commissions issued for the Georgia Militia in the Georgia Adjutant General’s office at page 103 that John B. Dillard was made Captain of the 556th District of the 7th Division, 1st Brigade at Clayton in Rabun County on July 19, 1862. His letter accepting his commission dated January 17, 1863 is filed in correspondence with the that office. These records indicate that John B. Dillard was literate and had leadership ability.
Handwritten memoranda used by A. J. Ritchie in the preparation of his Rabun County history state that John Barnett Dillard was hospitalized in Augusta, Georgia for five months for injuries he received during the Civil War. Available records do not disclose the nature, extent, how or where these injuries were received. This hospitalization appears to have been during his service with the Georgia state militia.
John Barnett Dillard upon completion of his agreed term of commissioned service with the state militia joined the Confederate regular army. He was mustered in on May 25, 1864 as a regular in the Confederate Army after his state militia 4th Calvary was mustered out of service in February, 1864. The Georgia Confederate Pensions and Records Department in its Compiled Commission and Rosters records that John Barnett Dillard on May 25, 1864 was a 5th Sergeant on the Muster Roll of Company F, 11th Regiment of Georgia, (formerly the 30th Battalion Georgia Calvary) Calvary (Harmon’s Brigade), “Rabun Gap Defenders”.
The 11th Infantry Regiment was assigned to the Potomac District under General G. T. Anderson's Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It fought in the Seven Days' Battle, Cold Harbor and at Knoxville. It took part in the Petersburg siege and was active in conflict around Appomattox. It lost 65 percent of its troops at Gettysburg. It surrendered at the end of the war with 16 officers and 176 men.
John B. Dillard in 1852 acquired from his father, James Dillard, some 250 to 300 acres of land. The grist mill or “mill seat” property was acquired from his brothers in 1862 following the death of his father. This property included the property that now comprises the Dillard City Hall, the present Dillard House motel and restaurant facilities, properties surrounding the Head of the Tennessee Baptist Church and Dillard United Methodist Church. It extended west across present dual lane Highway No. 441. It adjoined property of William F. Dillard (later Sallie Dillard Powell) on the north and the Little Tennessee River.
John B. Dillard purchased in 1860 200 acres of the William McKinney property from his brother in law, Charles Lafayette McKinney, but held this property only some three years when he sold it in 1863. He was a party to other transactions involving the McKinney property. He was involved in acquiring and selling about twenty acres on the south to and from adjoining landowners, J. W. Carter and T. N. Carter. His basic farm property and residence appeared to have remained the same as that which he obtained from his father and was described in an 1888 railroad rights of way as 250 acres.
John B. Dillard farmed this property, built his residence and raised his ten children. He was the local United States postmaster who operated a store and post office out of his residence. He conducted out of his residence the boarding and feeding of guests. He also owned and operated the nearby grist mill that had belonged to his father, James Dillard. This grist mill was located on Betty’s Creek near the present Dillard United Methodist Church.
The house was a two story frame residence located close to the road a few hundred feet northeast of the present Head of the Tennessee Baptist Church. The kitchen was separated from the main house. A slave family resided in a cabin in the rear. This residence was the first house in Rabun County to have wallpaper. One of the brick chimneys of this residence was located directly in front of the former Beavert R. Dillard residence. This residence burned after 1899. The original Beavert R. Dillard residence torn down in recent years was built behind the site of the John B. Dillard residence.
The 1860 Rabun County Census shows John B. Dillard as a 33 year old farmer with a wife, Rachel M., age 29 and five children who were: Sarah E., age 9, Margaret R., age 7, John B., age 4, Nancy, age 2, and William, age three months. In 1862, John B. Dillard was the owner of two slaves.
“Barnet” Dillard is listed on the 1870 United States census for Rabun County as a 43 year old farmer with a wife, Rachel, age 39, and seven children: Rosetta, age 16, John, age 14, Nancy, age 12, William, age 10, Doctor, age 8, Albert, age 3 and “Beaverett”, age 1, all of whom were born in Georgia.
The Wheeler, Marshall and Bruce Georgia State Directory published in Nashville, Tennessee in 1876 lists “John B. Dillard, postmaster and grist mill” and “Dillard House, John B. Dillard, propr” at the Head of the Tennessee Post Office, Rabun County, Georgia. The Georgia State Gazetteer, 1883-1884, published in Savannah, Georgia by Morning News Steam Printing Company list “J. B. Dillard, grist mill” and among the list of farmers at Rabun Gap Post Office, also known as the Head of the Tennessee Post Office.
John B. Dillard in 1875 gave the Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church South a half acre lot of land. In 1879 he gave the Head of the Tennessee Baptist Church two additional acres of land. His father, James Dillard, had in 1853 given the Head of Tennessee Baptist Church its original land.
Between 1893 and his death in 1895 John B. Dillard deeded the major portion of his farm to his sons Albert L. Dillard, Robert L. Dillard, Beavert R. Dillard, James D. M. Dillard and George M. Dillard.
On October 6, 1896 the Ordinary of Rabun County at page 377 of its Minutes authorized B. R. Dillard as Administrator to sell certain assets of the estate of John B. Dillard to pay indebtedness and distribute the remaining assets among the heirs of the estate. Four tracts of land were sold by Beavert R. Dillard as Administrator in 1896.
The estate sales and sales to third parties by most of the sons of John B. Dillard of properties which had been given to them by their father resulted in the dismantling of the original John B. Dillard farm. The only exception is for the portion owned by Beavert R. Dillard, the only son who remained in Rabun County for the rest of his life. Beavert R. Dillard in addition to the 35.5 acres property which he acquired from his father purchased a 20 acre part of this land from his brother, Albert L. Dillard.
The February 1, 1940 Tugaloo Tribune published at Westminster, South Carolina reported in the obituary of William McKinney Dillard that during his father’s last illness there was a thick blanket of snow on the ground. It reads "This reminded a few of the citizens of the weather which prevailed early in the year 1894 when Mr. Dillard's father, J. B. Dillard, was seriously sick and death soon followed. The snow was deep on the ground and a blizzard was in the Southland. Mac and his brother, J. D. M. Dillard hitched up a mule to the buggy to make the trip to see their father. Travel was well nigh impeded on all the roads. When the Dillard brothers struck the mountains the mule and vehicle mired down so deep they were compelled to turn back home and abandon the journey. The elder Dillard lived at the old home place near Clayton, Ga."
Albert Dillard and B. R. Dillard were appointed by the Ordinary of Rabun County on January 6, 1896 to serve as administrators of the estate of John B. Dillard, Sr. There was no will. Subsequent proceedings in this estate in Rabun County indicate that only Beavert R. Dillard continued to serve and finally settled this estate as set forth in the Minutes of the Ordinary Court for Rabun County, Georgia, 1887-1898. Four tracts of land were sold in 1896 by the administrator of the estate. It was ordered on January 6, 1896 that title to all properties of this estate be vested in Rachel M. Dillard (this presumably meant personal property.) At the January, 1898 term of this Court, B. R. Dillard was discharged as administrator by order dated January 3, 1898.
Rachel McKinney Dillard outlived John Barnett Dillard by some four years until June 17, 1899. The Franklin Press dated June 21, 1899 reads: “Mrs. J. B. Dillard, paralyzed four years ago had another stroke on the 11th of total paralysis. She lived without eating or drinking until Friday, the 16th when she died.” This newspaper further reads on the same date: “Mr. J. H. Dillard of Rabun County came Saturday after a coffin for Mrs. R. M. Dillard, wife of J. B. Dillard who died a few years ago. Her age was about 68 years.”
The petition of George M. Dillard to have the Ordinary of Rabun County appoint a suitable guardian for his mother, Rachel M. Dillard, "an imbecile from old age", (she was then 66 years of age and had suffered from one or more strokes) dated July 27, 1897 recites that A.L. Dillard, B. R. Dillard and John B. Dillard, Jr. were then residents of Rabun County, Georgia and were "the nearest adult relatives of Rachel M. Dillard".
Albert L. Dillard was issued letters of guardianship of his mother's property by the Ordinary of Rabun County on October 4, 1897. Albert L. Dillard was also appointed as administrator of his mother's estate on her death on June 17, 1899. He petitioned the Ordinary for that county on April 2, 1900 for his discharge. "Letters of Dismission" were granted by that court.
October 15, 1850 - 536 M. District Gen., Raybun County, Georgia
July 24, 1870 - Clayton, Rabun County, Georgia
1880 - Tennessee Valley, Rabun County, Georgia
living in next household to Albert Dillard on 1870 census (see original)
John M Dillard, Descendants of James Dillard and Sarah Barnard Dillard of Rabun County, Georgia, self published, Lulu Press page 123 revised 2012.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
On 29 Mar 2017 at 14:07 GMT John (Dillard) Anonymous wrote:
On 29 Mar 2017 at 06:28 GMT Esmé (Pieterse) van der Westhuizen wrote:
Exact dates, same spouse and child