William was christened (as Dulledaphe, a deviant spelling of the name Tullideph, cf. Blacks Surnames of Scotland) in Leslie, Fife, on 11th December 1626, the son of William Dulledaphe and Agnes Haddone (elsewhere recorded as Haddow, which is more likely).
He gained an MA from St. Salvators in 1641, and continued to teach there after graduating.
While there William was in contact with leading figures in the dissenting movement, who objected to the Book of Common Prayer that had been introduced by Charles I, who believed in the Divine Right of Kings, and that the King was Head of the Church of Scotland. The Scots believed that only Jesus Christ could be Head of the Christian Church but Charles I announced that this would be deemed treason. In 1638 the Covenant was adopted and signed in Greyfriars Kirkyard, in Edinburgh.
In 1657 William was admitted to Dunbog as minister. The church that he would have known no longer exists but the burial enclosure in the photo below marks the site of the church. Photo reproduced with the kind permission of Scottish Church Heritage Research (SCHR)12 Wardlaw Gardens, St Andrews, Fife KY16 9DW
In 1662 his covenanting activities caught up with him and he was deprived of the living of Dunbog by Act of Parliament. He had to wait until 1670 for another appointment, at Kilbirnie in Ayrshire.
However, he lost this appointment in 1684, and was imprisoned.
In 1687 it was agreed with James VII that a more relaxed view of religion would be accepted, and William was finally able to pursue his ministry without interruption. In 1688 he was admitted to Wemyss for a short time before being made Minister and Principal of St. Leonards, back at St. Andrews where he had started. In 1695 he passed away while still in post at St. Andrews.
Although obviously life was very hard for William and his family due to his religious beliefs he was in fact lucky not to lose his life. Many Covenanters were either murdered or executed. In St. Andrews The Primate of Scotland and Archbishop of St. Andrews was murdered by another group of Covenanters.
Others were executed.
Below is a best effort at transcribing William's "Eik", an addition to a will. It looks as if William was owed money by St. Andrews University at the time of his death, and this document arranges for it to be dealt with by the executor, John Tullideph.
Additamentum umq[uhi]le Mr W[illia]m Tullideph Principal
To the testament dative & ______ of the goods gear & debts of umq[hi]le Mr William Tullideph Principal of St Leonards College in the Universitie of St Andrews Ther is Eiked [added] by Mr John Tullideph Minister at Dum Barney Lawfull sone & heir to the defunct the sume of ___ as the defuncts proportone of the __Charles the Second his Mortification or Gift grantit [granted] to the said Universitie and due & payable to the defunct as Principal of the said St Leonards College the halfe year 1692 and the haill [whole] years 1692, 93, 94 and 1695 years being four four hundreth [hundred] merks yearlie Omitted & Left furth [out] of the said defuncts ____ confirmit [confirmed] left at by the s[ai]d dec[ease]d [or exor] and now ____ to his knowledge Eiked [added] the twentie day of Ja[nua]rie 1709 and Mr Patrick Tullideph Minister at Ferrie is ____
DUNBOG, a parish, in the district of Cupar, county of Fife, 4 miles (E. by S.) from Newburgh; containing 219 inhabitants. This place derives its name, of Celtic origin, and signifying the bog of the hill, from the former marshy nature of the grounds at the base of the hill of Dunmore, which extends into the parish. A portion of the lands anciently formed part of the barony of Balinbriech, the property of the Rothes family, from whom it passed into the possession of Lord Home, whose descendant, in the reign of James IV., sold the lands of Dunbog to David Bethune, of Creich, in whose family they remained till the middle of the seventeenth century........ The parish is in the presbytery of Cupar and synod of Fife, and in the gift of the Crown; the minister's stipend is £204, with a manse, and a glebe valued at £8. 15. per annum. The church, situated nearly in the centre of the parish, was erected in 1803, and is a neat and well-arranged edifice adapted for a congregation of 200 persons. The parochial school affords a liberal course of instruction; the master has a salary of £34, with £15 fees, and a house and garden.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.