- William Eaton's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Update of profile is under construction
- Name: William Eaton
- of Reading, Massachusetts
- Baptized: 26 September 1607 at the parish of St. Mary's in Dover, co. Kent, England. 
- (Assuming his identification as a son of Peter Eaton is correct.)
- Gave his age as about 54 in March 1658.
- Gave his age as about 60 in November 1667.
- Gave his age as about 62 in 1669.
- Notes on origins: William Eaton is usually said to be a son Peter Eaton of Dover, co. Kent. This not conclusively proven though the identification would seem likely. Ages from depositions would estimate his birth as about 1607, William son of Peter was born in September 1607. No other candidates have been found parishes around Dover, Staple or Sandwich in Kent. DNA studies have proven that William Eaton of Reading was an extremely near relative of John Eaton of Dedham who would be his first cousin.
- On a roll or list of names dated 11 May 1637 of those who had obtained Certificates as having taken the Oath of Allegiance and Supremacy and who had taken passage from the Port of sandwich in the County of Kent for the American plantations:
- Wm Eaton of Staple husbandman & Martha his weif. Children: John Martha and Albe. Servant: Jonas Eaton.
- They are often said to have arrived in New England on the Hercules and Sandwich, however, the NEHGR article gives two reconstructed passenger lists. The first list is for the Hercules and Sandwich while the second ship is unnamed. The Eatons were on this unnamed second ship.
Marriage and Children
- Married: Martha Jenkins on 28 January 1627/8 in the parish of St. John in Thanet, co. Kent, England.
- Children of William Eaton and Martha Jenkin:
- Mary Eaton. bp. 28 December 1628 at St. john's in Thanet; Buried 20 July 1634 at Staple, Kent, England.
- Martha Eaton. bp. 19 September 1630 at Staple. She married 1st Richard Oldham about 1650; she married second Thomas Brown on 7 October 1656 in Cambridge. She died before 13 May 1673.
- Alba Eaton.
- William Eaton.
- John Eaton.
- Daniel Eaton.
- Mary Eaton.
Death and Will
- Died: 13 May 1673 in Reading, Middlesex Co., Massachusetts.
- He left a will dated 26 September 1672 and proved on 11 June 1673. In it he names his wife Martha, eldest son John and his children, son Daniel and his children, daughter Mary, son-in-law Thomas Brown, and son-in-law Thomas Moore.
- Footnotes and Citations:
- ↑ St. Mary's, Dover Parish Registers
- ↑ Reed, John Eaton Report
- ↑ NEHGR vol. 75 p. 217-222.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 NEHGR vol. 76, p.54-75.
- ↑ Reading VR, p. 516.
- ↑ Middlesex County, MA: Probate file number 6819.
- Source list:
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. 76 no. 1 (January 1922):54-75. Genealogical Research in England: The Jenkin Family, by Eben Putnam. Books.google.com</ref>
- New England Historical and Genealogical Register, vol. 75 no. 3 (July 1921):217-222. Two early Passenger Lists, by Eben Putnam. Books.google.com LINK
- Reed, Paul C. F.S.A.G. The English Ancestry of John1 Eaton, of Dover, Kent, and Dedham, Massachusetts. Research report commissioned by Joe Cochoit and the Eaton Family Association (2003). Available on the Eaton Family Association website (paid).
- Parish registers for St. Mary-the-Virgin Church, Dover, 1558-1951 (Family History Library film #1,836,141).
- Reading. Thomas W. Baldwin compiler. Vital Records of Reading, Massachusetts, to the Year 1850. (Boston: NEHGS, 1912):516. Archive.org LINK
- Middlesex County, MA: Probate File Papers, 1648-1871. Americanancestors.org online database of original images. Probate file number 6819.
- Acknowledgements (contributors):
- Profile sourcing and improvement by Joe Cochoit. Please contact before making significant changes.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of William's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
William is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 13 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 19 degrees from Ayn Rand, 18 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.