- Ottar Egilsson's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
||Ottar Egilsson is a member of royalty, nobility or aristocracy in Europe.|
Join: European Royals and Aristocrats Prior to 742 Project
|King of Sweden
According to Snorri Sturluson
Ohthere took over the reign of Svitjor after his father Egil.
- LEgil had promised to pay taxes to the Dane Frode but had not done so. Now his men came to Ohthere to collect what was owed. Ohthere answered that the Swedes had never payed taxes to the Danes and would not do so now. Frode's men returned to him and he responded by going to Svitjod where he pillaged and burned a lot of villages.
- The following year Frode went east to harry. Egil heard of this and went to Denmark where he pillaged and met no resistance. He sailed to Limfjord where he lay anchor. Vötter and Faste, Frode's two jarls, heard of this and sailed to Limfjord where they attacked Ohthere. It was a big battle and Ohthere and many of his men fell. The Dane took the corps of the Swedish king and laid him on a hill for the animals to feast on his body. They carved a wooden crow and sent it to the Swedes, saying that their king was not worth more. Therefor the king was thereafter called Vendelcrow.
- Ohthere or Othere
- Old Norse - Óttarr vendilkráka (Vendelcrow)
- Modern Swedish Ottar Vendelkråka
- DESCENDANT ASA CURRENTLY SHOWS AS GRANDMOTHER ON BOTH SIDES OF THE GRANDCHILDREN'S PROFILES, CREATING A DUPLICATE LINE HERE.
Relationships between historical figures could have been simplified or even fabricated in the text to give the impression that succession remained within the same family….Precise chronology is also difficult to assess from the Sagas….The conclusion must be that the tight family network described in the Sagas is unlikely to be correct and that the relationships shown below should be treated with considerable caution. http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/NORWEGIAN%20NOBILITY.htm
- Sturluson, Snorre. Nordiska Kungasagor - Från Ynglingasagan till Olav Tryggvasons Saga. Stockholm: Fabel, 1991. [ ]
- The Viking Age, Gen. Hist. 19, v. 1, p. 67
- Attarskra Bjarni Thorsteinsson, Ice FH 1, p. 432
- Hist. of the Anglo-Saxons, Eng. 36, v. 1, p. 241
- Keiser und Koenig Hist., Gen. Hist. 25, pt 1, p. 137
On 16 Jun 2011 Shaunna (Danielson) Fuellbrandt wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Ottar's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Gordon Lokken, Katherine Patterson, Robert Garcia, Dawn Truitt, Jeff Johnson, Shaunna Fuellbrandt, David Rentschler, Roy Østensen, Marc Cohen, Elliott Burke, Chris Hamilton, and Sheri Sturm. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 2 Nov 2016 at 07:15 GMT Lena (Johansson) Svensson wrote:
On 5 Aug 2016 at 13:52 GMT Magnus Sälgö wrote:
WikiData runs a report and found my confusio see report
Regards Magnus Sälgö
On 15 Feb 2015 at 16:00 GMT Roy Østensen wrote:
Ottar is 37 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 31 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 37 degrees from Ayn Rand, 39 degrees from Peter Roberts and 32 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.