Name: assume MARY, based on the typical nickname of "Polly".
Named as "Polly" in her father's Will, and "Polly M Elder" on marriage record.
Birth estimated about 1772, based on the following:
Born on/after 1771, per under 21 when married in 1792 (father gave marriage consent)
Place of Birth: assume Brunswick Co. Virginia, where parents were located.
Note: Polly's parents moved to Brunswick Co. Virginia between 1762 and 1764, and remained there until at least 1787 (per land and tax records). Ref. father's profile.
Death between 1814 and 1828, probably in Kentucky, based on the following:
Death: after 1814, per birth of last child Benjamin.
Son Benjamin Harrison Crowley - born about 1814 in Kentucky (age 36 in 1850 Census in Henderson Co, Kentucky)
Possible death in Kentucky by 1828, per undocumented source.
Note: the Will of William Crowley (Polly's 2nd husband) was written in 1828 KY. I have not see the contents of his Will, but there is probably a connection to this date/place. Maybe Polly is not in his Will, and therefore assumed died on/before 1828 in Kentucky.
Death average = 1821
Parents: Joseph Elder and Mary Matthews
Polly is listed in her father's Will.
Joseph Elder, Campbell County, Virginia, Will Book 2, pages 1-2
Will dated 16 Jan 1800, proved 8 Sep 1800
Reference profile of father Joseph Elder for transcript of Will.
FamilySearch.com, Virginia, Marriages, 1785-1940
Name: Joseph Crews
Spouse's Name: Polly M. Elder
Event Date: 18 Jun 1792
Event Place: Campbell, Virginia
Spouse's Father's Name: Joseph Elder
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M86858-7 , System Origin: Virginia-EASy , GS Film number: 31050
1st marriage notes:
Permission was given by father Joseph Elder on 16 Jun 1792.
Witnessed by Wm and John Hanks.
Bond was posted by Joseph Crews and Wm Matthews on 18 Jun 1792.
Husband: William Crowley
Wife: Polly Crews (widow of Joseph Crews)
Married: about 1801, based on birth of child Elizabeth (born about 1802)
William Crowley is listed along with 4 orphans of Joseph Crews in 1807 Georgia Land Lottery in Oglethorpe Co, Georgia
Among those in Capt. William Hatchett District:
Crews Joseph, dec'd, Crews Ann (m/o of Joseph), Crews Nancy (m/o of Joseph), Crews Polley (m/o of Joseph), Crews Williamson (m/o of Joseph), Croley William
Note: m/o = minor of
Joseph Crews Junior and Senior were both listed in Campbell County, Virginia, Personal Property Tax records for 1793 and 1795-1797
Joseph Crews appeared in Personal Property Tax records of Campbell County, Virginia, first in 1792 and last in 1798 [Microfilm reel 66, 1785-1814, Library of Virginia]. He did not appear in Land Tax records of Campbell County [Microfilm reel 56, 1782-1806, Library of Virginia].
1807 Georgia Land Lottery [evidence for death of Joseph Crews, names of his children, and a connection to William Crowley] Oglethorpe County
William Crowley was son of Benjamin Crowley (named in his will dated 15 Aug 1817 and recorded 15 Oct 1817 [McRee, Oglethorpe County, Georgia, Abstracts of Wills, 1794-1903, 2002, page 62 (Will Book B, page 140)]).
William Crowley's will in 1828 Henderson Co. Kentucky, appears in Will Book B, page 175, 176, 311.
Appraisers of his estate were Charles Cottingham, John Overfield and Samuel Marks.
At the estate sale of 5 Sept 1828, his stepson Williamson Crews was administrator.
The settlement of William Crowley's estate was signed by H. Higginson, John Christian, and George W. King.
The children of Joseph CREWS and Mary "Polly" Elder are:
1) Williamson Crews - born 28 Jul 1793 in Virginia [1850 Census, Henderson County, Kentucky, Microfilm series M432, Roll 204, Page 338A]; married Margery Marks (no marriage record found). Williamson Crews (28 Jul 1793-11 Apr 1880) and Margery Marks Crews (Sep 1795-4 Apr 1880) are buried in Crews cemetery, Webster County, Kentucky. Williamson Crews was administrator at the estate sale 5 Sept 1828 of William Crowley deceased [source]. The will of John Marks, dated 24 Sep 1816 and proved Oct 1821, named Margery Cruse (sic) and other children [Abstract of Early Kentucky Wills and Inventories, page 104, Ancestry.com (Henderson County, Kentucky, Book A, 1799-1821].
2) Ann Crews - born 20 May 1795 in Virginia; married (1) 12 Aug 1812 in Henderson County, Kentucky, to Benjamin Reynolds [Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979, FamilySearch.org] and (2) 13 Nov 1823 in Hopkins County, Kentucky, to James Whitsell [Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850, Ancestry.com]; died 12 Jan 1839 and buried in Old Aaron Reynolds cemetery in Hopkins County . Benjamin Reynolds died before the 1820 Census (Ann Reynolds is listed) of Hopkins County, Kentucky [Microfilm series M33, Roll 23, Page 262]; James Whitsell last found in 1850 Census (age 53, born Georgia) [Microfilm series M432, Roll 204, Page 331A].
3) Nancy Crews - born 1796 in Virginia; married 27 Aug 1816 in Henderson County, Kentucky, to Henry Ashby [Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850, Ancestry.com]; died 1873 and buried in Old Onton cemetery in Webster County, Kentucky. Henry Ashby not listed with Nancy in 1850 Census of Hopkins County [Microfilm series M432, Roll 205, Page 145B].
4) Polly Crews - no record found after the 1807 land lottery.
The children of William CROWLEY and Mary "Polly" Elder are:
1) Elizabeth Crowley - born about 1802 in Georgia, married 4 Jun 1821 in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky, to John Littlepage [Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850, Ancestry.com]; last found in 1870 Census of Webster County, Kentucky [Microfilm series M593, Roll 503, Page 232A ]. John Littlepage last found in 1860 Census of Webster County, Kentucky [Microfilm series M653, Roll 399, Page 484]. (age 52 in 1850 Census, age 58 in 1860, and her age 70 in 1870, so we don't have an accurate record).
2) Jeremiah Crowley - born 7 Jun 1804 (gravestone) in Georgia [1870 Census, Webster County, Kentucky, Microfilm series M593, Roll 503, Page 140A]; married (1) 22 Dec 1825 in Hopkins County, Kentucky to Nancy Cary [Kentucky Marriages, 1802-1850, Ancestry.com] and (2) 23 Mar 1849 in Henderson County, Kentucky, to Keziah Son [Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979, FamilySearch.org]; died 4 Feb 1871 and was buried in Mt. Lebanon cemetery, Webster County, Kentucky . Keziah Crowley last found (age 40, born Missouri) in 1870 Census with Jeremiah.
3) Emily Crowley - born 6 Feb 1808 in Georgia [Hopkins County, Kentucky, Microfilm series M432, Roll 205, Page 148B]; married 28 Aug 1828 in Henderson, Kentucky, to Henry Crowley [Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979, FamilySearch.org]; died before 27 Mar 1864, when Henry Crowley married Lockey C. Crowley in Webster County [Kentucky Marriages, 1851-1900, Ancestry.com], and was buried in Zion Brick Church cemetery . Henry Crowley (age 76, born Georgia) died May 1880 of consumption in Webster County [1880 Census of Mortality, Microfilm series T655, Roll 20, Page 1]. Henry Crowley (19 Mar 1806-11 May 1880) is buried in Zion Brick Church cemetery, Webster County.
4) Edmond Crowley - born 10 Feb 1810 in Georgia [Henderson County, Kentucky, M432, Roll 204, Page 310B]; married 28 Jul 1831 in Henderson County, Kentucky, to Clementine Marks [Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979, FamilySearch.org]; died 17 Jun 1861 and was buried in Crowley cemetery, Webster County. Clementine Crowley last found in 1880 Census of Webster County [Microfilm series T9, Roll 446, Page 3A].
5) William Madison Crowley - born 4 Oct 1811 in Kentucky [Henderson County, Kentucky, Microfilm series M432, Roll 204, Page 331A]; married Elizabeth (no record found); died 28 May 1871 and was buried in Zion Brick Church cemetery, Webster County. Elizabeth Crowley (25 Jan 1808-15 Aug 1855) also was buried in Zion Brick Church cemetery.
6) Benjamin Harrison Crowley - born about 1814 in Kentucky (age 36 in 1850 Census) [Henderson County, Kentucky, Microfilm series M432, Roll 204, Page 336B]; married 24 Oct 1833 in Henderson County, Kentucky, to Henrietta McClendon [Kentucky Marriages, 1785-1979, FamilySearch.org]; last found in 1870 Census of Webster County, Kentucky [Microfilm series M593, Roll 503, Page 138A]. Rittie Crowley last found in 1900 Census of Webster County [Microfilm series T623, Roll 554, Page 20B].
Sister of Joshua Elder descendants, Nancy Elder, David Elder descendants, James Elder, John Elder descendants, Elizabeth Elder and Jeremiah Elder
Wife of Joseph Crews ancestors descendants
Wife of William Crowley ancestors descendants
Mother of Polly Crews ancestors, Williamson Crews ancestors descendants, Anne Crews ancestors, Nancy (Crews) Ashby ancestors descendants, Elizabeth Crowley ancestors descendants, Jeremiah Jerry Crowley ancestors, Edmond Crowley ancestors and William Madison Crowley
Also found on RootsWeb family tree (undocumented):
Is Mary your ancestor? Please don't go away! Login to collaborate or comment, or
a profile manager, or ask our community of genealogists a question.
Sponsored Search by Ancestry.com
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Mary by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA.
However, there are no known mtDNA test-takers in her direct maternal line.
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share some percentage of DNA with Mary: