James Elliot came to Pennsylvania from Ireland with his family in 1737 according to the Biographical Annals of Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania; "making their home in Middlesex township, Cumberland Co., Pennsylvania'
"The first of the Elliott family to settle in Pennsylvania was Robert Elliott, who came from Ireland in 1737 with his wife Mary, and children: Edward, Thomas, William, Robert, Grisel (who became the wife of Joseph McMin), Mary (who married John Irwin), Margaret (married William Clark), Ann, David and James. They made their home in what is now Middlesex township, Cumberland county"and is known as a pioneer and frontiersman of that time
James Elliott, inherited his fathers farm in 1768, "where he spent his life and on which he died at the age of ninety years"
The grandson of Robert Elliot the emigrant, Dr David Elliot, son of Thomas Elliot, describes James Elliot based on his own personal knowledge in a "Memoranda"; sent to an unknown reader; posted to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints online database and uploaded by a member as being '"a large man, six feet high, and of great strength. In feats where great physical power was required, and which were common during his early manhood, he is reported to have excelled most of his contemporaries"
A grandson of James Elliot inherited the family farm outside of Carlisle Pa; Abram Elliot
(1) George; born in 1772; married Nancy Kinslo; was a farmer "living in Middlesex township, then North Middleton township, and later removed to Venango county, Pa., where he died at the age of eighty years"
(2) Martha, born in 1776, died March 13, 1824; married James Giffin, who died in 1833, at the age of sixty-two years.
(3) Margaret, born 1779, married Robert G. Young, and died Jan. 6, 1847, at the age of sixty-seven years, eleven months, twelve days.
(4) Elizabeth, born in 1780, died in 1860, at the age of seventy-nine years, seven months and twenty-two days.
(5) Mary; born 1770 and died in 1827, in Butler Co., Ohio; married John Goudy
(6) John, born Oct 14, 1782; married Mary Lamberton; died June 25, 1856
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
James is 23 degrees from Neil Armstrong, 32 degrees from Gaile Connolly and 15 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.