Categories: London, Ontario.
Goodspeeds 1889 History of the County of Middlesex, Canada reprint shows p. 57 the second marriage of 14 Dec 1837 of Sarah Jane's mother the text reads
John Elson to Mary Bioito, of London.
The photo album of the late Charlotte Box has Mary Boits - wife of John Elson died April 10, 1887. Age 78 years (England) Mother of Sarah Jane Elson who was the wife of Henry Prince Buried in Hyde Park Ont next to photo of sister
Elizabeth White - wife of Joseph Prince who was born in England died in Musoka District, Ont. about 1894, Sept 20th parents of Henry Prince both parents buried in Hyde Park, Ontario.
- Censuses: I've found Sarah Jane in the 1852, 1861, 1871, and 1881 censuses. Were there any censuses before that in Ontario/Canada West?
- Birth record: Impossible to really search for until her parents' names are known.
- Marriage record: I've searched online and haven't been able to find the record of her marriage to Henry Prince. I've posted questions about this on several forums, but so far no one has attempted a look up.
- Death record: I have found Sarah Jane's death record (see Sources section).
I do not have experience with less common sources, so I have not yet researched any other types of records. I have done general searches on FamilySearch and come up empty.
The following posts on my genealogy blog, Stories of a Canadian Family, document my research on Sarah Jane Elson:
- Finding Mary Elizabeth Prince's parents - I established that Sarah Jane Elson and Henry Prince are my ancestors.
- Slight progress on Sarah Jane Elson - I found a link in the censuses to Sarah Jane's sister, Ann (Elson) Flint.
- The Never-Ending Search for Sarah Jane Elson's Marriage Record - I found a promising collection in the FamilySearch catalogue, and plan to go look through it at the local FamilySearch Centre.
Sarah was born about 1839.
On the 1881 census, there is a 75 year old widow named Mary Elson living with Henry and Sarah Jane and their children. Presumably that is Sarah Jane's mother.
Sarah died in London, Ontario, on November 5, 1881. She died 9 days after giving birth to her last child, which suggests that she may have died as a result of complications in childbirth.
- c1839 Born, in Ontario
- 1852 Census, in Westminster, Canada West; age 12; mother Mary, age 29; siblings: Ann, age 14; Elisa, age 10; Elisabeth, age 1 (relationships assumed, not stated in census)
- c1860 Married, to Henry Prince
- 1860, August 24 Birth of daughter, Mary Elizabeth
- 1861 Census, in Canada West; age 20; husband Henry, age 25; children: Mary Prince, age 1. Mary Elson, age 48. Elisabeth Elson, age 9. Elisa Elson, age 18.
- c1862 Birth of son, John Henry
- c1863 Birth of daughter, Sarah Jane
- c1865 Birth of daughter, Harriet Ann
- c1867 Birth of daughter, Ida Elizabeth
- c1869 Birth of son, Robert James
- 1871 Census, in London, Ontario; age 30; husband Henry, age 36; children: Elizabeth, age 11; John, age 9; Jane, age 7; Harriet, age 6; Ida, age 4; James, age 2
- 1871, September 24 Birth of son, William Edward
- 1874, November 3 Birth of daughter, Alice Matilda
- 1878, September 30 Birth of daughter, Isabella
- 1881 Census, in London, Ontario; age 42; husband Henry, age 45; children: John Henry, age 19; Jane, age 18; Harriet, age 16; Ida, age 13; James Edward, age 11; William, age 9; Alice, age 5; Isabella, age 3. Mary Elson, age 75 (widow). James Prince, age 33
- 1881, October 27 Birth of son, Joseph Samuel
- 1881, November 5 Death, in London, Ontario; age 42
- 1915, January 27 Death of husband; age 77
- Sarah Jane Elson on Ancestry (no subscription needed to view this page)
- 1852 Canadian census, Westminster township, Middlesex, Canada West
- 1861 Canadian census, Canada West (see image)
- 1871 Canadian census, London, Ontario; age 30; husband Henry, age 36; children: Elizabeth, age 11; John, age 9; Jane, age 7; Harriet, age 6; Ida, age 4; James, age 2.
- 1881 Canadian census, London, Ontario; age 42; husband Henry, age 45; children: John Henry, age 19; Jane, age 18; Harriet, age 16; Ida, age 13; James Edward, age 11; William, age 9; Alice, age 5; Isabella, age 3. Mary Elson, age 75 (widow). James Prince, age 33.
- ↑ According to her tombstone, she was 42 years old when she died in late 1881.
- ↑ Death record and tombstone.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Sarah by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondrial DNA test-takers in the direct maternal line:
- Lianne Lavoie : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test Full Sequence, haplogroup H1c1, Mitosearch CPU47, FTDNA kit #283742
- Jon Shidler : Family Tree DNA mtDNA Test HVR1, haplogroup H1c1, FTDNA kit #385750
- Lianne Lavoie : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F283742, FTDNA kit #283742
- Joyce (Angus) Jackson : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch F354635, FTDNA kit #354635
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 1 Feb 2013 at 02:32 GMT Lianne Lavoie wrote:
On 12 Nov 2012 at 23:19 GMT Lianne Lavoie wrote:
On 7 Nov 2012 at 22:29 GMT Lianne Lavoie wrote:
Sarah is 30 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 40 degrees from Bob Dylan, 31 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 32 degrees from Michael Phelps and 28 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.