- See the Fairbairn Surname DNA project and the One Name Study pages for further information on how the family as shown here was pieced together with the help of genetic genealogy.
- More participants are welcome, either using Y-DNA for direct male line FAIRBAIRNs or any atDNA test for any descendant as long as you upload the latter to GEDMatch.com. If you test at FamilyTreeDNA please join the FAIRBAIRN surname project there, and use this link to give WikiTree a contribution from your purchase.
Born say 1705 probably Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland
Married abt 1728 probably Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland
- Husband: John Fairbairn
- Wife: Bessie Flint
- Known Children: 
- Child: Robert Fairbairn
- Child: George Fairbairn
- Child: Elizabeth Fairbairn
- Child: Isobel Fairbairn
- Child: Mary Fairbairn
- Child: Elizabeth Fairbairn
- Child: Thomas Fairbairn
- Assumed child:
- Archibald? Fairbairn  
Died between 1741 AND 1805 possibly Smailholm, Roxburghshire, Scotland 
Occupation 1729 Drygrangemiln, Melrose, Roxburghshire, Scotland
- A miller
- Notes: The session resolve to examine witnesses in this affair and for that end order their beadle to summoned John Fairbairn, miller, and his wife Bessie Flint, Bessie Hog, their woman, John Lyal, John Dawson and James Wilson to the session this day eight days.
- ↑ Source #S55
- ↑ Source #S2: From DNA, naming patterns of (sometimes assumed) descendants
- ↑ Source #S3: From DNA, naming patterns of (sometimes assumed) descendants
- ↑ Source : #S55 Bap. 6 Sep 1741 Thomas to John FAIRBAIRN & Bettie FLINT, Par. of Smailholm, ROX, copy d/loaded Mar 2008
- ↑ Source #S1: Book: 2.---Baptisms, Marriages, and Discipline in the parish of Melrose since November 1723 "att which time Mr. Gavin Eliot was admitted School-master and Session-clerk".
- Source S1 1723-41 Roxburgh: Melrose - Register of Baptisms, Marriages, Proclamations of Marriages, Session Minutes (1723-1741) and Mortuary Rolls, extracted from Ancestry index Jan 2010
- Source S2 Fairbairn Surname DNA project
- Source S3 Fairbairn One Name Study
- Source S55 OPR BDM entries prior to 1855 from ScotlandsPeople
- WikiTree profile Fairbairn-42 created through the import of HENDERSONLornaAncestorsPlus1Desc4WikiTree.ged on Oct 18, 2011 by L Henderson.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
- Martin Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup I1-Y7277, FTDNA kit #105175
- Doug Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test
- Anonymous Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup I-Y7277, FTDNA kit #149873
- Roy Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup I-M253
- D W Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Y-DNA Test 67 markers, haplogroup I-M253
- Lorna Henderson : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T087062
- Martin Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T612592
- Doug Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T585783
- Anonymous Davidson : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T203183
- Roy Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T981733
- C Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T586092
- D W Fairbairn : Family Tree DNA Family Finder
- Living Hursh : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T492422
- A Broomfield : Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch T231572
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 2 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
John is 24 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 21 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 29 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 28 degrees from David Selman and 27 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.