Mary was born about 1832, the daughter of Thomas Ferguson of Greenville, county Down, and Ryde, Isle of Wight, Esq., and Emma Benyon. On the 1st June 1852, she married Major William Henry Simpson, C.B., in Bath, Somerset.
When the 1871 census of England was enumerated, Mary was sharing a household with her sister, Annie Georgina:
- Mary C Simpson, head, widow, age 39, Annuitant, born in Ireland
- Annie G Ferguson, sister, unmarried, age 31, Annuitant, born in Ireland
- Emily I. Charles, servant, unmarried, age 35, Cook; born in Osmington, Dorset
- Susanna F. Clarke, do., ..., age 21, Ladysmaid; born in Northamptonshire
- Eliza Charles, do., ..., age 28, Housemaid; born in Osmington, Dorset
- Albert H Edwards, do., ..., age 24, Footman; born in Georgeham, Devon
- Census place: 26, Chester Street, St George Hanover Square, London
Mary Christiana Simpson née Ferguson died during the second quarter ending 30th June 1886 in Bournemouth, Hampshire, aged fifty-four years.
The estimated year of birth is inferred from the age recorded in the index of civil registrations of deaths (England). The estimated date of death corresponds to the second quarter recorded in that index.
↑ Morning Post, 12 June 1852, pg. 8. Marriage notice: “At Bath, on the 1st inst., by the Rev. Reginald Southwell Smith, rector of Stafford, Dorset, Major William Henry Simpson, C.E., to Mary Christiana, daughter of Thomas Ferguson, Esq., of Greenville, county Down, Ireland.” Digital image online at The British Newspaper Archive, www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk (accessed by Alison Kilpatrick 2018-02-05, by subscription).
↑ England 1871 Census. Mary C Simpson, widow, age 39, and sister Annie G Ferguson, age 31, in St George Hanover Square, London. Original records: Census Returns of England and Wales, 1871 (Kew, Richmond, Surrey: National Archives of the UK, 1871); PRO ref. RG10, piece 104, folio 21, pg. 38, registration district: St George Hanover Square, subdistrict: Belgrave, enumeration district 5, household schedule no. 183. Digital images of PRO record online at ancestry.ca (accessed by Alison Kilpatrick 2018-02-07, by subscription).
↑ 3.03.1 Index of civil registrations of deaths, England. Mary Christiana Simpson, 2nd quarter ending 30 June 1886, age 54 years [born c.1832], Christchurch RD (Hampshire), vol. 2b, pg. 418. Original record: General Register Office, Southport. Index and digital image online at FreeBMD www.freebmd.org.uk (accessed by Alison Kilpatrick 2018-02-05).