Charles Fish was apprenticed at age 11 to one of the great ship building centres in England. He was made a local preacher when he was sixteen, working by day at his trade, and preaching in the evenings and on Sundays.
In 1848 he came to Canada and started as the pastor of the Methodist Church in Guelph. From Guelph he moved on to Milton, Bowmanville, Newburgh, and later Picton. In 1859 he came to Toronto, where he remained three years; then two years at Collingwood, and two years at Kingston, where he was collector for Victoria College. He then returned to the County of York, serving at Streetsville, Richmond Hill, and later at Peterborough, Lindsay and Cobourg, Owen Sound, Bracebridge and Trenton. He retired in 1887, but continued to take part in church work.
Mr. Fish was first married in England to Mary Wilkinson, and had three children by that union:
His first wife died in 1858, and in 1860 Mr. Fish married Catharine Johnson, a daughter of Abram Johnson and granddaughter of Abram Johnson. The Johnsons were U. E. Loyalists.
His children from his second marriage include:
Helen, G. N., H. C., Wendell and Leonard;
In 1890 Charles and Catharine moved into a home at 192 Dunn Ave., Toronto.
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.