- Elizabeth (FitzHenry) of Galloway's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Elizabeth or Joan was an illegitimate daughter of Henry Beauclerc, but her mother is uncertain. It is probable that a daughter of Henry married Fergus. Whether Elizabeth was really married to Fergus of Galloway, or whether his children had a different mother is uncertain.
Fergus may have married an ilegitimate daughter of Henri Beauclerc, King Henry I of England. Her name, however, is unknown. One of the candidates is Sibylla, the widow of King Alexander of Scotland, but there is little evidence for this. Another candidate could be Elisabeth; but likewise, there is little evidence. If he did marry a daughter of Henry I, the marriage can be interpreted as part of the forward policy of Henry I in the northwest of his dominions and the Irish Sea zone in general, which was engineered in the second decade of the 12th century. It may have been during this time that Fergus began calling himself rex Galwitensium (King of Galloway). However, while his possible father-in-law lived, Fergus seems to have remained a faithful vassal to Henry.
- Elizabeth or Joan
- Alias: Agnes.
- b. btw 1105 - 1084
- d. btw 1140 - 1166
- Religion: a patroness of churches
- Ancestral Roots F.L. Weis 8th ed. 2004 Line 38-24
- Ancestral Roots F.L. Weis 8th ed. 2004 Line 121B-26
- Ancestral Roots F.L. Weis 8th ed. 2004 Line 121C-26
- Alison Weir, Britain's Royal Family: A Complete Genealogy (London, U.K.: The Bodley Head, 1999), page 49. Hereinafter cited as Britain's Royal Family.
- Elizabeth, natural daughter of Henry I, and sister of Sibilla, who married Alexander I, brother of David." [Ref: Sir Herbert Maxwell, "A History of Dumfries and Galloway" by Sir Herbert Maxwell, Edinburgh, 1896, pp. 47-48]
- Burke, John. The Royal Families of England, Scotland, and Wales, With Their Descendants, Sovereigns and Subjects. London, England: E. Churton, 1848-1851'
- www.familysearch.org; S-1995395427. Heritage Consulting. The Millennium File. Salt Lake City, UT; S-38: Ancestry Family Trees; S24: OneWorldTree
|European Aristocrats Source|
|Our main source for medieval genealogy in the European Aristocrats Project is the FMG database MEDIEVAL LANDS: A prosopography of medieval European noble and royal families by Charles Cawley,© Charles Cawley & Foundation for Medieval Genealogy, 2000-2016.|
- Alexis Connolly Tom Rhodes Sharryn Hopgood HB McDonald Wendy Hampton Ted Williams Mike Walton Stephen Wilkinson Johanna Amnelin
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Elizabeth's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Katherine Patterson, Ken Broughton, Adam McQuery, David Robinson, Ted Williams, and Wendy Hampton. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 20 Dec 2013 at 20:48 GMT Wendy (Smith) Hampton wrote:
Elizabeth is 26 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 19 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 27 degrees from Ayn Rand, 26 degrees from Peter Roberts and 22 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.