- Mary Franklin's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Mary Franklin, of Josias and Abiah Franklin, was born Sept. 26. 1694(p. 214)
Mary married Robert Homes and had 2 children. She passed away abt 1761
The story handed down through many generations about the relationship of Benjamin Franklin, the "Statesman" , to Mary Franklin, wife of Arthur Aylworth (1684/5-1761) appears to be a figment of the imagination of Abel Aylsworth (1745-1830). He is I quoted in the book, "Arthur Aylworth, and His Descendants in America . (Ref.10, p32) as having been named by "Aunt Mary" Franklin Aylworth, for her brother, Abel Franklin, the uncle of Benjamin.
Many hours of intensive research was devoted to substantiating this yarn. The record appears quite clear on this subject. Benjamin did not have an Uncle Abel, nor did his father have a sister by the name of Mary. The ancestors of 'Ben' are here detailed for all to judge the merits of this claim. From a chart, hand prepared by 'Ben' himself, and confirmed by all the sources found, the following are the facts.
Josiah, born Dec. 23, 1657, died Jan. 17, 1745, married (1) Ann Child in England and had his first seven children before she died. Children: a. Elizabeth, born Mar. 3,1678, married Mr. Douse. b. Samuel, born Mar. 16, 1681 No Issue c. Hannah, born May 25, 1683, married (1) . Mr. Eddy, (2) Thomas Cole d. Josiah, born Aug. 23, 1685, died ca. 1715 without issue e. Ann, born Jan. 5, 1687, mar. Mr. Harris f. Joseph I., born Feb. 6,1688, died at 5. g. Joseph 2., born Jun. 30, 1689 died at 15 days.
He married (2) in New England, Dec. 1689 or Jan. 1690, Abiah Folger and had ten more . ( The parents of "BENJAMIN" ) Children.
h. John, born Dec. 16, 1690, married and had John Jr., Jan. 1716 Peter, born Nov. 22, 1692, married Mary? no issue i. Mary, born Sep. 26, 1694, died ca. 1730, married Mr. Holmes. j. James, born Feb. 4, 1697, died 1733, married Rachel ? had 4 children. k. Sarah, born Jul. 9, 1699, married John Davenport. l. Ebenezer, born Sep. 20, 1701 m. Thomas, born Dec. 7, 1703, died young n. BENJAMIN, The Statesman, born Jan. 6, 1706 (new Style -Jan. 17), married and had issue (some illegitimate) o. Lydia, born Aug. 3, 1706, married Mr. Scott 1758. p. Jane, born Mar. 27, 1712, married Mr. Mecom and had issue. (Bens favorite)
The name Abel does not appear in 'Ben's' family ancestors. The name Mary does appear but they are all taken or of the wrong generation to marry Arthur Aylworth Jr.
So this author says: "While it may have been nice to have been related to you Ben, you will have to look elsewhere for Aunts & Uncles." And to the tall story Amen!!!!
Should there be anyone among the readers of this book that can prove the above assumptions wrong and be willing to provide said proof to the family we shall then welcome Old Ben back with open arms.
- Robert Holmes & Mary Frankling, int. reads [Homes] [Franklin], married by Rev. Mr. Eben'r Pemberton, Presbytn., April 3, 1716. (p. 64) 
- ↑ Appleton, William S. City Document 130. Boston Births, Baptisms, Marriages and Deaths 1630-1699, Registry Dept. City of Boston, Boston, Massachusetts, Rockwell & Churchill Printers, 1883
- ↑ McGlenen, Edward W. compiler. City Document 150: A Report of the Record Commissioners of the City of Boston, conraining Boston Marriages from 1700 to 1751. Municipal Printing Office, Boston, Massachusetts, 1898.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Mary by comparing test results with other carriers of her mitochondrial DNA. Mitochondrial DNA test-takers in the direct maternal line:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Chérie Naegele, George Franklin, and R.D. or Duane Franklin. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Mary is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 10 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 21 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 18 degrees from David Selman and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.