Thomas bp 16 Feb 1611/12
- Marriage to Catherine Bliss took place on 31 Jul 1655 in Springfiled Massasucetts. The marriage record states the Catherin was a widow at the time of her marriage to Thomas.
- Douglas Richardson, The English Origin of Thomas(1) Gilbert of Braintree, Mass., and Wethersfield, Conn. With a Note of Lydia Gilbert, Executed for Witchcraft in 1654, (The American Genealogist, July 1992, p 161-166).
- Text: Brainard, H.W., H.S. Gilbert, and C.A. Torrey. The Gilbert Family: Descendants of Thomas Gilbert. 1582 (?)-1659. New Haven, 1953.
- Date: 03 JUN 1662
- Place: Springfield, Hampden County, Massachusetts
- Note: Recorded at Northampton, Mass., Old Hampshire County Wills 1:18, original will and inventory on file.
- I Thomas Gilbert of Springfield, sick in body, but sound in mind, doe here make & ordayne this my last will & testament, committing myself unto the hands of my mercifull father, whether to live or to dye, trusting that both shall be unto mee advantage through Jesus Christ my Lord.
- Impris. I bequeath unto my sons and daughters which are in the first family seven pounds to each of them & also five pounds to that which my wife goes with, to bee paid to the girls at ye age of eighteen years, to ye sones at one and twenty. All the rest of my estate I leave unto my wife whom I make and ordayne my true and lawful executrix. And in case my wife doe marry againe, what estate remains of mine then I give the one halfe thereof to her former children and the one halfe thereof to be distributed to my sons equally & in case any of my children doe dye before they come of age, his or their portion shall be divided amongst those sonnes yt doe survive.
- And to ye end that my will be truly fulfilled I have desired my father Samuel Chapin and Nathaniel Ely to be overseers. I have hereunto sett my hand this third day of the 3d month, 1662 [3 June 1662].
- The sign X of Thomas Gilbert
- Witnessed by us
- Samuel Chapin
- Nathaniel Ely
- The two persons named as witnesses took their oath at the Court at Springfield, Sept. 20, 1662, that this is ye last will & testament of Thomas Gilbert deceased.
- ↑ Douglas Richardson, The English Origin of Thomas(1) Gilbert of Braintree, Mass., and Wethersfield, Conn. With a Note of Lydia Gilbert, Executed for Witchcraft in 1654, (The American Genealogist, July 1992, p 161-166).
- ↑ Clemens, William Montgomery. American Marriage Records before 1699. Baltimore: Genealogical, 1984. Print.
- ↑ Source: #S72 Page: 50–53
- Clemens, William Montgomery. American Marriage Records before 1699. Baltimore: Genealogical, 1984. Print.
- Thomas Gilbert 4 was baptized on 16 Feb 1611/12 in Yardley, Worcester, ENG. and died on 5 Jun 1662 in Springfield, Hampden Co MA 4.
- Documented events in his life were:
- 1. Marriage Contract; 23 May 1655; Springfield, Hampden Co MA 5. Thomas Gilbert, of Windsor, entered a marriage contract with Katherine [Chapin] Bliss, widow of Nathaniel Bliss,
- in which he promised to pay the children by her first marriage the inheritances ordered by the
- court after their father died intestate. The agreement is signed with an X, the mark of Thomas Gilbert.
- 2. Oath of Freemanship/Allegiance; 23 Mar 1656/57; Springfield, Hampden Co MA. "beinge a Trayning day these tooke the freemens oath: Thomas Gilbert"
- 3. Jury Duty; 27 Mar 1660; Springfield, Hampden Co MA 5.
- 4. Jury Duty; 24 Sep 1661; Springfield, Hampden Co MA 5.
- 5. Military Service; 21 Sep 1688; Springfield, Hampden Co MA 6. Sept 20 1688 Same Phelps & Wm Randal coming from the Bay this eveing & Informing me that the Inhabitants of Quabaug were in some Danger, they being few & weake could not send on Purpose but by these Travelers & [torn] syred them to acquaint me with their wants & that 3 Indians were there last Night sculking & running into a Swamp as before [torn] same day they discovered Tracks &c & desiring some assistance [torn] This 21th of Sept I accordingly sent to their assistance Henry Gilbert, John Hitchcock, James Warrinar, Eben Pars[torn] Thomas Gilbert Sam Pars[torn]
- Thomas married Lydia Unknown (Gilbert). (Lydia Unknown (Gilbert) was born about 1596 in England and died about 1654 in Windsor, Hartford Co CT.)
- Documented events in her life were:
- 1. Court Appearance; 28 Nov 1654; Hartford, Hartford Co CT 7. [Indictment] Lydea Gilburt thou are heere indited by that name of Lydea Gilburt that not hauing the feare of god before thy Eyes thou hast of late years or still dust giue Entertainement to Sathat [sic] the great Enemy of god and mankinde and by his helpe hast killed the Body of Henry Styles besides other witchcrafts for which according to the law of go and the Established law of this Comon wealth thou deservest to Dye[.] [Verdict] ye Party aboue mentioned is found gulty of witchcraft by ye Jury[.]
- 4. Ruth Ellsworth Richardson, Samuel Richardson and Josiah Ellsworth, (1974). p 344.
- 5. William Pynchon, John Pynchon, Elizur Holyoke, Pynchon Court Records, (Families of the Pioneer Valley, Regional Publications, West Springfield, MA, 2000).
- 6. Carl Bridenbaugh & Juliette Tomlinson, eds., The Pynchon Papers, Vol II, Selection from the Account Books of John Pynchon, 1651-1697, (The Colonial Society of Massachusetts, Boston, 1985). p 447.
- 7. Records of The Particular Court of Connecticut, 1639-1663, (Hartford, 1928). p 131.
Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Merilee and others.
Searching for someone else?
- Thomas Gilbert
- Thomas Gilbert
- Thomas Gilbert
- Thomas Franklin Gilbert
- Thomas Mount Keeler Gilbert
- Thomas Gilbert Brown
- Gilbert Thomas Gardiner
- Thomas Gilbert Saunders
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Thomas's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Terry Wright, Katherine Patterson, Kath Belden, Merilee Burton, Kimball Everingham, John Putnam, and Ellen Jennings. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 16 Jul 2014 at 00:47 GMT Anne B wrote:
Thomas is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 23 degrees from Bob Dylan, 18 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 14 degrees from Michael Phelps and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.