Anthony Goff migrated from England to Colonial America.
Anthony Goff Sr was born 6 Dec 1656, in Rehoboth, Bristol County, Massachusetts. His parents were Lawrence Goff and Sarah Carpenter. He married Sarah Polly (1670–1727) 29 Sep 1686, in Billerica, Middlesex County, Massachusetts. Anthony Goff Sr passed away 10 MAR 1727, in Barrington, Bristol County,Rhode Island.
Additional Biographical Information
"Anthony Goffe was born at Swansea, Bristol County, Massachusetts. He married at Swansea Elizabeth Watts. They may have lived at Ashford, Windham County, Connecticut.
At some point, an Antony Goffe was among the 45 persons who "gave bonds, drew lots and were admitted proprietors of Ashford," on or after 5 March 1718. In the 1730s they were "warned out" of Bristol. Anthony was a shipwright. Their three sons all served in the American Revolution."
Anthony Goff and Sarah Polley ~ New England Marriages page 307
"1. Anthony-1 Goffe died at Barrington, Bristol County, (then Massachusetts, now) Rhode Island in 1727. Anthony was married at Billerica, Massachusetts 29 September 1686 to Sarah Polley (George-1), born at Woburn, Middlesex, Massachusetts about 1669/70, daughter of George-1 and Elizabeth (Winn) Polley.
In 1667, an Anthony Goffe was accused of stealing pipestaves in Exeter, New Hampshire (Genealogical Dictionary of New Hampshire). In the same reference, a James Goffe's death is recorded in 1685. James was an agent for Samson Sheafe, lived in "Lovering House" and married Elizabeth (_____).
Anthony and Sarah moved from Billerica, Massachusetts to Woburn, Massachusetts by 1687. They were in Barrington/Swansea before 1694: "At a meeting of the commissioned officer of Bristol regiment held at Bristol August 8, 1694, Anthony Goff was convicted of being impressed into their majesties service in the present expedition against the common enemy, and neglected to attend the same he was sent to the common goal [gaol/jail?] according to law," (Letter to Clarence B. Pierce from James M. Cushman citing an "old manuscript book"). "In the year 1706, Anthony Goff of Swansea was a witness in court; in 1715, Samuel Goff was accused of being the father of a bastard child born of Elizabeth Sabin of Rehoboth, and Anthony Goffe was bondsman for the appearance of Samuel in court to answer the charge." "In 1727 Samuel Goff was appointed guardian of James and Hezekiah Goff, sons over 14 years of Anthony Goff deceased, of Barrington." (Bristol County, Massachusetts Probate Records 5:356) Anthony's sons dropped the use of the final "e" on Goffe, changing the name to Goff.
Children of Anthony and Sarah (Polley) Goffe:
i. Joseph-2, b. Woburn, Middlesex, MA 1 Nov 1687; d. young.
ii. James, b. Woburn, MA 3 June 1689; d. young.
iii. Anthony Jr., b. Swansea, MA; m. Elizabeth Watts.
iv. Robert, b. Rehoboth, Bristol Co., MA ca. 1707; d. Rehoboth, MA after 1745; m. (1) Swansea, MA 17 March 1718 Mary Gladding, b. 1696; m. (2) Elizabeth A. Horton; m. (3) MA 8 May 1733 Anna Horton. Children, surname Goff:
1. Comfort, b. Rehoboth, MA 25 Sep 1734; d. Rush, Monroe Co., NY 1819; m. 20 Jan 1757 Susannah Garnsey.
2. Hezekiah, b. 4 Sep 1736.
3. Susannah, b. 20 May 1737.
4. Enoch, b. 1741.
5. John Maker, b. 1757.
v. Richard, b. Woburn, MA about 1695; d. Rehoboth, Bristol Co., MA 28 April 1743; m. Rehoboth, MA 19 July 1722 Martha Toogood, b. Barrington, Bristol,RI about 1700, dau. of Nathaniel Toogood; settled in Rehoboth, MA.Children, surname Goff, b. Rehoboth, Bristol Co., MA:
1. Sarah, b. 18 Oct 1722; m. William Slack.
2. Joseph, b. 12 Dec 1725; d. 1820; m. 1 Oct 1748 Patience Thurber.
3. Squire, b. 18 June 1727; m. 1 Dec 1751 Grizzel Wheeler, b. 10 Jan 1731/32 Rehoboth, MA, dau. of Squire and Lydia (Bowen) Wheeler.
4. Bethia, b. 31 Jan 1729; m. 12 Oct 1752 Israel Barney.
5. Rachel, b. 28 July 1731; m. April 1752 Richard Westcott.
6. Rebekah, b. 11 May 1733; m. 18 April 1754 Joseph Thurber.
7. Dorothy, b. 4 Aug 1735.
8. Richard, b. 31 July 1741.
vi. Samuel, d. Rehoboth, MA 28 Nov 1771; m. Rachel Toogood, dau. of Nathaniel Toogood; settled in Rehoboth, MA.
vii. James, b. before 1713; m. Rehoboth, MA 27 Dec 1773 Mary Ormsbee.
viii. John, m. Sarah Pullen.
ix. Hezekiah, b. Rehoboth, MA about 1712; d. Middletown, CT 1786; m. Woodstock, CT 31 Oct 1743 Bethiah Morris, b. Woodstock, Windham Co., CT 7 July 1723, dau. of Edward and Bethia (Peake) Morris. Children, surname Goff:
1. Betty, b. 1748; d.1751.
2. Asa, b. 7 Jan 1751; d. 26 June 1751.
3. Bethia, b. 2 Feb 1752.
4. Hezekiah, b. Middletown, CT 26 June 1754; d. Richford, VT 27 Feb 1848; m. Middletown, CT 10 March 1774 Anna Ward; served in the Revolution.
5. Jonathan, b. Middle Haddam, Middlesex Co., CT 4 March 1757; d. Augusta, Oneida Co., NY 23 Aug 1840; m. probably at Middle Haddam 3 April 1796 Lydia Harding; served in the Revolution.
6. William, b. Middletown, CT 14 May 1759.
7. David, b. Middletown, CT 16 Oct 1761; m. Middletown, CT 4 May 1786 Lucy Davis.
8. Hannah, b. Middletown, CT 2 Feb 1764; m. Middletown, CT 30 March 1784 Michael Braddock.
9. Sara, b. Middletown, CT 3 July 1766; m. Middletown, CT 31 Aug 1786 Joseph Parker.
10. Elizabeth, b. Middletown, CT 1769.
x. Anne, m. Swansea, MA 9 July 1726 Ebenezer Finch.
↑ Copyright 1999 Perry Streeter (Content updated 4 February 2005) (c) 1999 Perry Streeter; mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org; http://www.perry.streeter.com; This document is Copyright 1999 by Perry Streeter. It may be freely redistributed in its entirety provided that this copyright notice is not removed. It may not be sold for profit or incorporated in commercial documents without the written permission of the copyright holder.