Andrew Grant was the son of James Grant and Sarah (Joy) Grant. No record of Andrew's birth has been found and his date of birth is uncertain. Andrew was baptized at the First Church of Berwick, Maine, on 30 May 1736 as the son of "James Grant junr," which establishes that he was born sometime before that date. His gravestone states that he died on 12 October 1809 at the age of 79, which would mean that he was born in 1730. However, stated or believed ages of older people when there died were, at the time, very unreliable. Since Andrew's sister Sarah was baptized in June 1730 and his brother Ephraim was baptized in April 1731, it is unlikely that Andrew was born before 1733. On the other hand, since Andrew was listed among the settlers along the Kennebec River who signed a petition in 1752 requesting a new county be set up, it is also unlikely that he was born after 1734. It is therefore most likely that Andrew was born sometime in 1733-1734 and baptized several years after his birth. Since Andrew and his older siblings were baptized in Berwick, Maine and his father resided there during the period when Andrew was born, Andrew was no doubt born in Berwick.
From 1752 to 1770, Andrew resided at Montsweag, where his father, James, had moved. Montsweag appears not to have been part of any township until 1759 when it became part of Woolwich when Woolwich was incorporated in that year. During the latter part of his residency at Montsweag, Andrew appears to have also owned land on Parker Island in Georgetown.
James Grant, Elijah Grant, Ephiram Grant and Andrew Grant were among several hundred settlers along the Kennebec River who signed a petition in 1752 to the Lieutentant Governor of the Province of Massachusetts Bay requesting a new county be set up to provide regional government for the area.
A list of the members of the militia within the District of Whiscasite in 1757 included Ephraim Grant, Andrew Grant and Elijah Grant.
By a deed dated 10 June 1756, Andrew Grant of Mount Sweege, husbandman, for £5, conveyed to Joseph Greenleaf of Mount Sweege, laborer, a lot of land on an island called Jeremysquam containing 100 acres.
By a deed dated October 1764, James Grant, gentleman, and Catrine Grant his wife of Woolwich, in consideration of £6, conveyed to Andrew Grant of Mountsweeg in Woolwich, one quarter part of a saw mill which was owned in partnership with Solomon Walker, Elijah Grant and Andrew Grant, lying on the Mountsweeg Brook, and also two acres of thatch beds in Pownalborough.
By a deed dated 19 April 1768, Alexander Grant of Georgetown, yeoman, in consideration of £14:6, conveyed to Benjamin Oliver of Georgetown, yeoman, a neck of land containing 65 acres on Missone Islane or Parker Island.
By a deed dated 15 January 1770, Andrew Grant of Woolwich, yeoman, and Elizabeth his wife, in consideration of £6:13:4, conveyed to John Baily of Woolwich, a tract of land in Woolwich containing 100 acres.
Andrew and Patience had the following children:
Andrew's first wife, Patience, died at Woolwich on 14 September 1766, the same day as her last-born child.
Andrew Grant and Elizabeth Dunton applied for a certificate of marriage at Woolwich, Maine, on 4 April 1767. The certificate was granted on 24 April 1767, and they were married there on 30 April 1767. The published vital records of Georgetown, Maine, also show the marriage, but seven months later, on 27 November 1767. This may be a misinterpretation of an original record of the birth of their son, Andrew Grant; see the Research Note on his profile for a further discussion.
Andrew and Elizabeth probably had the following children:
By the later part of 1770, Andrew appears to have moved from Mountsweag/Woolwich across the Black RIver to Jeremysquam Island (now Westport, Maine).
By a deed dated 11 September 1770, Isaac Clewley of Penobscot, ship carpenter, in consideration of £10, conveyed to Andrew Grant of Jeremysquam, husbandman, a tract of land on the Penobscot River containing 100 acres that had been granted to Clewley by the heirs of Brigadier Samuel Waldo on the condition that Clewley build a house on such land of not less than 20 feet by 16 feet and 7 feet studd and clear 5 acres of the land, which condition had been performed by said Grant.
By a deed dated 15 October 1770, Andrew Grant of Jeremysquam Island, yeoman, in consideration of £40, conveyed to Elijah Grant, yeoman, and Solomon Walker, yeoman, his 1/2 interest in the saw mill on Monswegue Brook.
By a deed dated 15 October 1770, Andrew Grant of Jeremysquam Island, yeoman, in consideration of £8, conveyed to Elijah Grant the two acres of thatch beds in Pownalborough that Andrew Grant purchased from his father James Grant, reserving the dower of Andrew's father's widow. The deed was also signed by Andrew's wife Elisabeth.
About 1772, Andrew moved from Jeremysquam to a settlement on the Penobscot River that by the late 1770s was known as Wheelersborough. Wheelersborough was included in the town of Frankfort when Frankfort was incorporated in 1789 and then became part of the town of Hampden when Hampden was incorporated in 1794. The 1772 date of Andrew's removal to Wheelersborough is based on a December 1786 report by Jonathan Stone regarding the town of Hampden that stated that Goodwin Grant, Andrew Grant and Elisha Grant had lived there for 14 years.
On a tax list for heads of families on both sides of the Penobscot between Deadwater (Stillwater) and Bald Hill Cover in 1776 included an entry for Andrew Grant, taxed at £1:7:9.
Ephraim Grant, Andrew Grant, James Grant and Elisha Grant were among the inhabitants of Wheelersborough who signed a petition dated March 13, 1777 asking for Wheelersborough to be incorporated as a town.
During the Revolutionary War, Andrew was captain of the 3d company of Col. Josiah Brewer's (Penobscot) regiment. He was on a list of officers dated 1 July 1777 and in command of a detachment that served for 30 days from 18 August 1777 to 16 September 1777 and marched to the assistance of Machias.
Elisha Grant, Captain Andrew Grant, Ephraim Grant, Henry Grant, Goodwin Grant and Adam Grant were among the inhabitants of Penobscot River in Col. Josiah Brewer's regiment to signed a petition dated November 1777 requesting that the regiment be merged back into Col. Jonathan Buck's regiment, from which it had been split off without prior consultation.
In June 1779, a British expedition landed at Castine and started constructing a fort there. After an attempt by an Massachusetts fleet in August 1779 to dislodge the British was smashed by the arrival of a British fleet, many settlers left the Penobscot until the end of the war. Some went to Camden and others to the Kennebec River.
It appears that Andrew and his family removed to Swan Island in the Kennebec River. A record states that Andrew's probable daughter Mary was born in October 1779 on Swan's Island. The Swan's Island referenced in that record was no doubt Swan Island on the Kennebec River rather than Swans Island near Mount Desert Island because (1) the residents who left Wheelersborough were known to have gone to Camden and the Kennebec River, (2) Swan Island was part of Pownalborough (later called Dresden), where Andrew had previously owned land, and was close to Montsweag and Jeremysqualm, (3) Swan Island on the Kennebec was utilized by Colonialist forces during the Revolutionary War and thus appears to have been under Colonialist control, and (4) Swan's Island near Mt. Desert Island was not purchased by James Swan until 1785 and does not appear to have been settled until later in the 1780s.
After the end of the Revoluationary War in 1783, most of the original Wheelersborough settlers returned to Wheelersborough. Andrew was one of those who returned.
A list of inhabitants of Wheelersborough who were assessed £0:3:6 each on 27 May 1784 to pay for the town's purchase of Jeremiah Colburn's lot included Ephraim Grant, James Grant, Adam Grant, William Grant, Andrew Grant, Elisha Grant and Gooden Grant.
Andrew Grant, Robert McCordey and Elihu Hewes, all of Penobscot River, took the inventory of the estate of Benjamin Wheeler of Penobscot River on 1 July 1785, while Andrew's son Elisha Grant served as a surety for Benjamin's widow, the administratrix.
In 1789, Andrew Grant of the plantation called Wheelsborough, yeoman, sold two separate lots in Wheelsborough to Andrew Grant Junior of the same, miner.
In May 1790, Gooden Grant, Andrew Grant and Andrew Grant Jr. were among the inhabitants of Wheelersborough who signed a petition asking for further time to raise the money to pay for formal title to the properties on which they had long lived.
The 1790 US Census for Frankfort, Maine includes a household headed by Andrew Grant that contained four males 16 or older and three females. The same census for Frankfort also included a household headed by Andrew's son Gooding Grant. Andrew lived only briefly in Frankfort, as in 1791, Andrew Grant of Frankfort, yeoman, sold 100 acres of land there to James Whalen of Fox Island, Vinalhaven.
Andrew removed to Vinalhaven about 1792. At a Vinalhaven town meeting in April 1792, Andrew Grant was chosen as a tithing man; on 6 July 1792, his sheep mark was recorded as "the right ear split with a hole in the Left"; at a Vinalhaven town meeting in September 1794, Capt. Andrew Grant was chosen as the moderator; and at a Vinalhaven town meeting in April 1799, Andrew Grant Sr was chosen as a surveyor of roads on the North Island, while Solomon Grant was chosen as a tithing man.
The 1800 US Census for Vinalhaven, Maine includes a household headed by Andrew Grant that contained one male under 10, one male 45 and older (Andrew) and one female 45 and older (Andrew's wife Elizabeth) and states that Andrew had been born in Berwick. The same census for Vinalhaven also included households headed by Andrew's sons John and Solomon, both of whom are stated to have been 26-45 and born in Hampden.
Based on his place of death, sometime after 1800, Andrew moved back to Hampden, no doubt to live with his son Andrew Jr., who had remained there.
Andrew Grant died at Hampden, Maine on 12 October 1809 and was buried at the Old Burying Ground in Hampden. According to a 2007 article about Andrew in Hampden Highlights magazine, a newspaper gave the following report of his passing:
Paris green was a green powder used as an insect poison, so it seems that Andrew poisoned himself while tending his vegetables.
No will or estate records for Andrew have been found.
Note: The following was posted on this profile, without source references. It appears to have been mostly taken from Bushman's undocumented Grant family genealogy, and should be regarded with caution. Some of the narrative that is contradicted by documented evidence has been removed. (Bloom-1124 13:49, 14 May 2019 (UTC)) Other parts of the narrative that have been incorporated into the main profie has also been deleted. (Ashley-1950 28 Mar 2020).
About 1770, he signed a petition for the town of Woolwich to build a road to his father's mill.
                 wpo                           
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Andrew is 13 degrees from Jan van Haarlem, 16 degrees from Henry Morgan, 21 degrees from Jeanne de Belleville, 11 degrees from Joseph Bradish, 16 degrees from Peter Corne, 28 degrees from Pier Gerloffs Donia, 21 degrees from Lars Gathenhielm, 16 degrees from Jean Lafitte, 12 degrees from Henry Mainwaring, 18 degrees from Gráinne O'Malley, 17 degrees from Fortunatus Wright and 18 degrees from Rob Graham on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.