- John Hancock Jr.'s Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
John Hancock, Jr son of Rev John Hancock 1671 – 1752 and Elizabeth Mary Clarke 1674 – 1760 , was born June 1,1702 in Lexington, Mass. and died May 7, 1744 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA. John Hancock, Jr. was a colonial American clergyman and father of politician John Hancock who signed the Declaration of Independence. Hancock graduated from Harvard College in 1719, and served as librarian there from 1723-1726. He was ordained on November 2, 1726 and settled in Quincy, Massachusetts as pastor of church of the North Precinct (now named the United First Parish Church, nicknamed "Church of the Presidents") of the town of Braintree (now Quincy) between 1726 and 1744, and during this time, performed around 75 marriage ceremonies. He was pastor there until his death."
On December 12, 1733, Rev. Ebenezer Gay of the Old Ship Church in Hingham, officiated at the wedding of John and Mary. In 1744, Rev. Gay preached a sermon at the funeral of Rev. Hancock. Rev. Gay was an old friend of the family and had been classmates at Harvard with Mary's first husband Samuel Thaxter.
He married to MARY HAWKE 1711 – 1770 on 12 DEC 1733 in Braintree, Norfolk, Massachusetts, USA. They were parents to three children:
Mary Hancock 1735 – 1779
John Hancock 1737 – 1793
General Ebenezer Hancock 1741 – 1819
The elder Rev John Hancock (1702-1744) died when John was a child, and his mother took him and his siblings to live with in-laws in Lexington.
She later sent John to live with Lydia and Thomas Hancock, his aunt and uncle.
John and Lydia had no children and hence adopted the boy. (John Hancock b.1737–d.1793(6)
Burial Find A Grave Memorial# 28417483 http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=28417483 Quincy, Norfolk County, Massachusetts, USA Inscription: Here rest the remains of: REV JOHN HANCOCK 5th Minister of the 1st Cong. Church of this Town, and father of JOHN HANCOCK the Patriot, decd May 7th, 1744 in the 42d year of his age, and the 18th of his ministry Note: Ministerial tomb was rebuilt in 1812 which is why it references the patriot John Hancock. Also interred in this tomb are Rev. Anthony Wibird, Rev. Joseph Marsh, Ann Marsh, Rev. Moses Fisk, Sarah Fisk and Anna Fisk.
1) Stephen M. Lawson, ancestry of John Hancock http://kinnexions.com/kinnexions/cousinsg.htm#JHancock
2) Scituate Genealogy, by David Pane-Joyce, 2002 http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/scituate/rr02/rr02_336.html
3) John Ott Database, 23 Sep 2003 http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=haystack&id=I65651
4) Sterling Haring Database, 21 Mar 2002 http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=PED&db=:1981245&id=I3629
5) Daniel T. Rogers (b. 1943) family tree site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~dantrogers/pafg2105.htm#41943
6) John Hancock Biography U.S. Governor, U.S. Representative (1737–1793) http://www.biography.com/people/john-hancock-9327271#synopsis
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with John by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with John:
- Roland Baker : 23andMe, GEDMatch M907435 + AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A961190, Ancestry member Roland_H_Baker_III + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch A961190, FTDNA kit #340616
- Kim (Murphy) Jones : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A506814, Ancestry member Roland_H_Baker_III + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch A506814, FTDNA kit #B68985
- Susan Choate (Murphy) Fischer : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A393665, Ancestry member Roland_H_Baker_III + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch A393665, FTDNA kit #B68873
- Susan Hope (Robinson) Fehsinger : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A729372, Ancestry member Roland_H_Baker_III + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch A729372, FTDNA kit #B70978
- Carolyn Lyn (Hope) Prentice : AncestryDNA, GEDMatch A358581, Ancestry member Roland_H_Baker_III + Family Tree DNA Family Finder, GEDMatch A358581, FTDNA kit #B71954
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Kyle Dane and Todd Richards. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 30 Jan 2015 at 12:21 GMT Maggie N. wrote:
Quincy Norfolk County Massachusetts, USA
SOURCE : Find A Grave Memorial# 28417483
On 5 Aug 2014 at 01:53 GMT Angela (Hellyer) Snodgrass wrote:
On 25 Nov 2013 at 18:29 GMT Raymond Nichols DD, HOS wrote:
On 24 Jul 2013 at 11:51 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
John is 14 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 11 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 20 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 18 degrees from David Selman and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.