- Thora (Haraldsdottir) Herraudsdatter's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Categories: Uncertain Existence.
Relationships between historical figures could have been simplified or even fabricated in the text to give the impression that succession remained within the same family….Precise chronology is also difficult to assess from the Sagas….The conclusion must be that the tight family network described in the Sagas is unlikely to be correct and that the relationships shown below should be treated with considerable caution. http://fmg.ac/Projects/MedLands/NORWEGIAN%20NOBILITY.htm
The parents listed for this individual are speculative and may not be based on sound genealogical research. Sources to prove or disprove this ancestry are needed. Please contact the Profile Manager or leave information on the bulletin board.
Dotter, Datter, Dottir are all the same, meaning "daughter" in Scandinavia, and attached behind of the father's first name. A woman kept her birth name all her life and did not take on her husband's last name as her own.
Thora Town-Hart (Old Norse: Þóra borgarhjörtr, Thora Borgarhjort) was the daughter of Herrauðr, the earl of Götaland and a wife of Ragnar Loðbrók. Her father gave her a small lindworm that grew into a serpent and encircled her bower. Her father promised Þóra to the one who could slay the serpent. Ragnar Loðbrók arrived, killed the serpent and married Þóra. Ragnar famously wore the hairy breeches whereby he gained his nickname, Loðbrók meaning Hairy-Breeks. Ragnar went to Västergötland and dressed himself in shaggy clothes that he had treated with tar and sand. He took a spear and approached the serpent which blew poison at him. Ragnar protected himself with his shield and his clothes and stuck the spear through its heart. He then cut off the serpent's head, and married Þora. According to the Tale of Ragnar Lodbrok's sons (Ragnarssona þáttr), they had two sons Eiríkr and Agnar, who would later die in battle with Eysteinn Beli, Ragnar's earl of Sweden. Before this Þóra died of an illness and Ragnar was remarried to Aslaug (Aslög), the daughter of Sigurd and Brynhild.
- This person was created through the import of Bishop Family Tree.ged on 18 February 2011.
- Event: Vanhemmat
- Herraud x ca 728
- ? ?
- Aviopuoliso(t) ja lapset
- Puoliso Ragnar Sigurdsson Lodbrok x ca 765-845, lapset
- Björn Ragnarsson Ironside x ca 777
- WikiTree profile UNKNOWN-82849 created through the import of heinakuu2011-6.ged on Jul 5, 2011 by Johanna Amnelin.
- This person was created through the import of Campbell-Charsha Family Tree.ged on 28 February 2011.
- WikiTree profile Herraudsdatter-6 created through the import of FAMILY 6162011.GED on Jun 20, 2011 by Michael Stephenson.
- WikiTree profile Herrandsson-1 created through the import of heinakuu2011-6.ged on Jul 5, 2011 by Johanna Amnelin.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Thora's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 1 Nov 2013 at 05:43 GMT Sheri (Petersen) Sturm wrote:
Thora is 30 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 24 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 30 degrees from Ayn Rand, 32 degrees from Peter Roberts and 25 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.