Note from Clair Harris Zarges: Dan was my father. I am adding to this biography as I am able to document each event.
Albert, Eva, and Dan are shown as residing in Boston, Massachusetts in the 1910 U.S. Census. Dan is 2 years old. (5)
Albert, Eva, and Dan are shown as residing in Boston, Massachusetts in the 1920 U.S. Census. Dan is 12 years old.(6)
1928: Dan marries Marion Emily Foley in Boston, Massachusetts. Dan is 21. (7)
1932: Dan and Marion's daughter, Joan Patricia Harris, is born in Boston, Massachusetts. Dan is about 25 years old. (7)
Nov. 27, 1936: Dan applies for a Social Security Card [The Social Security Act was signed into law just the year before by President Franklin Delano Roosevelt on Aug. 14, 1935]. He gives his address as 37 Snow St., Brighton, Massachusetts. He is 29 years old and working at the Copley Square Hotel, Huntington Ave., Boston, Massachusetts. (9)
April 15, 1937, Dan's occupation is Cabin Steward, according to his Continuous Discharge Book. Address is still 37 Snow St., Brighton, Massachusetts. Dan is 30 years old. (8)
Some time before 1940, Dan and Marion divorce. (7)
1935: Dan lived in Waterville, Maine.(10)
Dan marries Elva Crabtree Dec 1940 at the Manse of St. Paul's Presbyterian Church in Woodstock, New Brunswick. She was 25, living in Houlton, Maine, gave her religion as Methodist, and her occupation as housekeeper; he was 33, from Worcester, Massachusetts, gave his religion as Presbyterian, and his occupation as waiter. Although Dan said he was a bachelor (the other choices on the form were widower, or divorced) he was actually divorced from Marion Foley. The Reverend J.W. Paul conducted the ceremony, with Jane Paul and E.R. Finnamore, both of Woodstock, as witnesses. (15)
Daniel appears as Head of Household, age 32, in Boston, Ward 4 in the 1940 U.S. Census. He gives "Waterville, Maine" as his last place of residence. His occupation is "waiter." Note: Only head of household was named in this census, not every name in the household. (10)
Dan and Elva live in Massachusetts from 1940 to 1942 (see citation for Marital Property Declaration form). (12)
Dan and Elva move to Maine, where they live from 1942 to 1945 (see citation for Marital Property Declaration form). (12)
Nov. 11, 1944, Dan and Elva's first daughter, Clair Harris Zarges, is born in Biddeford, Maine. The family resides 25 Sea View Ave., Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Dan is 37 years old. (11)
In 1945, Dan and Elva move to California, where they will reside for the rest of their lives (see citation for Marital Property Declaration form). They live first in Hunter's Point (1945-1949), at 1323 48th Ave., San Francisco (1949-1955), in an apartment in San Rafael for a year (1955-1956), then at 2733 Heatherstone Dr., Marinwood, San Rafael (1956 until Dan's death). (12)
Aug. 19, 1949, Dan and Elva's second daughter, Jean Lee Harris is born in San Francisco. Dan is 42 years old. (1)
Sept. 22, 1972, Dan dies of heart disease at age 65. The death certificate shows him as retired, after 36 years working at Geary Auto Parts in San Francisco [incorrect--see occupational history below]. He died at his home at 2733 Heatherstone Dr., San Rafael, California, where he had resided for 17 years, having lived in San Francisco before that for 11 years. (12)
Oct. 24, 1972: On a Marital Property Declaration form, Elva gives the following brief history of Dan's occupational career (12): 1940-1942: Waiter 1942-1945: Shipyard 1945-1947: U.S. Naval Shipyard 1947-1949: Shell Oil [running a gas station in San Francisco, California] 1949-1957: Carpenter 1957-1964: Geary Auto Parts 1964-: Retired
Dan is buried at Mount Tamalpais Cemetery, 2500 West Fifth Street, San Rafael, California, U.S. The plot is located in the Garden of Devotion, Lot 96, Grave 6. (14)
2. "Massachusetts, Births, 1841-1915," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FXJ9-P8W : accessed 04 Dec 2013), Eva Ellis in entry for Daniel Harris, 1907.
3. Copy of record of birth from City Clerk Dept. City of Worcester, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, No. 1215, copy dated Jan. 15, 1969.
4. True copy of record of birth, C82253, issued Apr. 30, 1999, from the Registry of Vital Records and Statistics, Commonwealth of Massachusetts. Reg. no. 1622, Vol. 568, Page 497.
5. "United States Census, 1910," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M22S-ZHH : accessed 30 Nov 2013), Daniel L Harris in household of Albert Harris, Boston Ward 19, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 48, NARA microfilm publication T624, FHL microfilm 1374634
6. "United States Census, 1920," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MFMT-GRR : accessed 30 Nov 2013), Daniel L Harris in household of Albert Harris, Boston Ward 14, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States; citing sheet , family 162, NARA microfilm publication T625, FHL microfilm 1820736.
7. Information about Dan's marriage to Marion Foley, and the birth of their daughter: Correspondence with their daughter (my half-sister) Joan Harris Foynes.
8. Dan's Continuous Discharge Book #168249, Issued by the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Bureau of Machine Inspection and Navigation, dated Apr. 15, 1937.
9. U.S. Social Security Act Application for Account Number 028-10-5567, dated Nov. 27, 1936.
10. "United States Census, 1940," index and images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/K4JV-H8N : accessed 30 Nov 2013), Daniel Harris, Ward 4, Boston, Boston City, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States; citing enumeration district (ED) 15-163, sheet 14A, family 288, NARA digital publication of T627, roll 1662.
11. Birth certificate for Clair Marie Harris.
12. Certificate of Death, Certified True Copy, State of California, Dept. of Health 2100-1057/275. Copy issued Dec. 18, 1984.
13. Marital Property Declaration Form, State of California. Information on the form was provided by Elva Crabtree Harris Rodriguez after Dan's death. Dated Oct. 24, 1972. The form lists, among other things, real property, the states in which they resided, and occupations for both Dan and Elva.
14. Mt. Tamalpais Cemetery sales agreement, Sept. 23, 1972
15. Province of New Brunswick, Dept. of Health: Official Notice of Marriage for Daniel Harris and Elva Crabtree, registered #21300, filed 23 Dec. 1940. Accessed online 16 Dec 2013 at:http://archives.gnb.ca/Search/VISSE/141B7.aspx?culture=en-CA&guid=b6ae2537-a3dd-4410-812c-a7ea04ca6822
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
Daniel is 26 degrees from Sharon Caldwell, 13 degrees from Burl Ives and 20 degrees from Victoria of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.