Col. Benjamin Harrison Born: February 13, 1743 - Brandon, Prince George, Virginia Died: August 7, 1807 - Brandon, Prince George, Virginia Parentage: Col. Nathaniel & Mary Cole (Digges) Harrison Marriage: Anne Randolph 1766 in Virginia, Elizabeth "Betsy" Page, Evelyn Taylor Byrd
Marriage: Elizabeth October 4, 1770 in Virginia
Marriage: Evelyn Taylor Byrd January 29, 1788 in Surry County, Virginia
Education: Ben was a student at William & Mary from 1758-62. Career: House of Delegates from, 1770-80, 1783-84. May have been a delegate during the years, 1800 and 1803-1806, or it was his cousin, Benj. Harrison of "Puddledock," also of Prince George County. William & Mary: Board of Visitors in 1777 (Other years?) Member of the first Executive Council in Virginia under it's first Constitution. He resigned the position and his father took his place.
Burial: Brandon Plantation Cemetery in Prince George County, Va. He was the only son of Nathaniel Harrison and Mary Digges
The original 5000 acre property was acquired by John Martin in 1616 and was named Brandon after his wife’s family. Martin sold it to a Richard Quiney (claim to fame: his brother married Shakespeare’s daughter, Judith) in 1635 and Quiney sold it to Nathaniel Harrison in 1720. Nathaniel was brother to Benjamin Harrison III, who was ancestor to the Harrison presidents. The property remained with the Harrisons until 1926, when it was sold to Pennsylvania banker, Robert W. Daniel, Sr. Daniel had Virginia ties: he had been born in Richmond and was a Randolph. The property is still almost 4500 acres and a thriving agricultural (corn, wheat, soybean and timber) business.
The house was built in 1765 and family lore has it that it was designed by Thomas Jefferson.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
On 19 Jan 2017 at 18:55 GMT Liz (Noland) Shifflett wrote:
Virginia Legislative Papers (Continued) The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography Vol. 17, No. 4 (Oct., 1909), pp. 364-383 Published by: Virginia Historical Society Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4243016