Joseph Haviland, son of William Haviland and Hannah Hicks, was born ca 1653 in Newport, RI. He married Mary (Birdsall?). He seems to have died ca 1724 probably at Shrewbury, NJ. 
He is first found in the census of Flushing, New York, September 29, 1675 where he is named as head man for the single men, making him over 21 years of age. So he was born before 1654. He is next found in the 1698 census with his wife Mary and their first six children. 
First Bakery: In 1688, Joseph Haviland built a tidewater gristmill and a nearby bakery to supply farmers and tradesmen with bread. It was the first public oven in New York State. Townspeople could bake their own for 3 cents a loaf. The Old Grist Mill, a community gathering place for two centuries, was moved in 1963 to Memorial park, where it is now a museum that's open weekends in the summer. 
Notes by researcher Frederick Haviland:
Joseph Haviland removed to the town of Westchester and was living there in 1695 having leased a grist and saw mill belonging to William Richardson. The executors of the latter sold the same with the land and appurtenances July 25, 1695 for 510 pounds to two merchants of the City of N.Y., Evert Byvanck and Johannes Hogelandt. Joseph Haviland signed as a witness this deed which describes the property as follows: all that a certain Mullin or Milles being a Grist Mill and a Saw Mill in West Chester and two negro men called Jack and Dick with 6 oxen and the immunities, tooles, yoakes, chaines, wheels, carts, carriages, geares and implements, the same now belonging or with which the same is now occupied used and enjoyed by Joseph Haviland now resident and Leasee of the premises before granted also 20 acres of Upland conditionally given by town of West Chester for the use, benefit and encouragement of the said Mill or Mills.
Haviland Ave & Watson Ave, between Virginia Ave and Puglsey Ave, The Bronx, New York, NY. Acres: 0.84.
This playground honors a colonial-era farming family from the Westchester area. In 1695, Joseph and Mary Haviland bought 30 acres of land on the east bank of the Bronx River. Joseph Haviland was listed in 1703 as a trustee and freeholder of the Town of Westchester. Other Havilands appear in local records throughout the century, including an Ebenezer Haviland, farmer of Cow Neck (near present-day Grant Circle).
The land that is now Haviland Avenue was a part of the Pugsley Farm from 1770 until 1854. Pugsley Creek once crossed Haviland Avenue where it meets Virginia Avenue. The Pugsleys were major landowners in Cow Neck, which remained almost entirely rural until the 20th century. One Talman Pugsley was listed in 1794 as owning 200 acres of Cow Neck, and a section of that property became part of present-day Parkchester. As the outer boroughs were developed, it was common for entrepreneurs to confer the names of prominent local families on the new neighborhoods and streets.
This site, which serves as the schoolyard for the adjacent I.S. 125 Henry Hudson School, has been maintained jointly by Parks and the Board of Education since 1959. Haviland Playground features a blacktop baseball diamond, half basketball courts, and benches. Neighboring Blackrock Playground provides play facilities for younger children. 
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.