Nathaniel was born in July 4 1804, in Salem, Massachusetts. He was the son of a sea captain, Nathaniel Hathorne and the son of Elizabeth Manning and was one of the three childrens that Nathaniel and Elizabeth had. His ancestors were from the people of the Puritans times which on of his ancestors, John Hathorne were one of the judges of the 1692 Salem witch trials. He had an calm yet isolated childhood.
Nathaniel Hawthorne attented to Bowdoin Collage in Bruswick, Maine (1821-1824). Nathaniel wasn't intrested in other traditional profession so he went to writing his own short stories and published them in magizines, even when he graduated, he continued to write his short stories.
Later in his life, he married a painter named Sopia Peabody and had three children, the first Una, then Rose and last Julian Hawthorne who sooner became an author. A little later in thier marriage they moved to Concord, Mass.
In his career, he have wrote short stories like, "The custom house", also novels like, "The House of Seven Gables", "The Blithedal Romance", "The Marble Faun" and the one that made him famous "The Scarlet Letter". Hawthorne became one of the leading writer of his time. Herman Miller, another author, dedicated "Moby Dick" to Hawthorne.
Hawthorne was in the Transcendentalist movement, but got in trouble during the years in the Civil War, years before he died.
- 1)"Massachusetts, Town Clerk, Vital and Town Records, 1626-2001," database with images, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FHR4-LZ4 : 13 July 2016), Nathaniel Hawthorne and Sophia Amelia Peabody, 09 Jul 1842; citing Marriage, Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts, United States, , town clerk offices, Massachusetts; FHL microfilm 818,094.
- 2) Find A Grave Memorial# 459
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Nathaniel's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 3 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 18 Jul 2016 at 06:07 GMT Magnus Sälgö wrote:
- Wikipedia Nathaniel_Hawthorne
Nathaniel is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 11 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 21 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.