The Connect-a-Thon is one of our biggest events. Its mission: bring the world closer together by connecting more people on our big tree. For 72 hours we add missing relatives. It's like adding missing pieces to a puzzle. The more pieces of the puzzle we add, the more they connect.
It's our Year of Family Connections so we're holding three Connect-a-Thons in 2022. The third one begins Friday morning at 8:00am EDT (UTC -4) July 15, 2022 and runs until Monday at 8:00am EDT Jul 18, 2022.
Here is a time zone calculator if you need help figuring out the right time in your part of the world.
You need to register in advance.
Simply post an answer saying "Yes, I'd like to participate" along with what team you'd prefer, if any. If you're not sure about a team, say a few things about your location, genealogical interests, and/or what you like to work on at WikiTree.
After you post, we will award you the participant badge.
The cut-off date for registering is midnight on Wednesday, July 13, 2022.
If you have any trouble or questions, contact Mindy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For fun, participants are divided into teams.
If you don't choose a team (see the list below) we will assign one that seems to fit your geographic or genealogical interests.
Starting a team
Would you like to organize a team? Teams can be organized around anything, or just for fun.
Team captains are expected to:
- Create a free-space profile for your team to communicate on.
- Recruit for your team by replying to members who post on the register messages asking if they'd like to join your team.
- Communicate with team members to encourage them and cheer on the group.
- During the Connect-a-Thon, post to the team thread on G2G with updates about how the team is doing.
Are you interested in being a team captain? Contact Mindy at email@example.com and let her know. If you don't have an idea for a team, she can let you know which ones are needed.
- Every participant should be on one and only one team.
- Teams can have co-captains.
- The Wizards of Aus (Australia) . Captain: Kathleen Cobcroft
- Team Austria. Captain: Beate Hauer
- Canadian Connectors. Captain: Christine Daniels
- Flying Dutchmen (Netherlands). Captain: Coen Dijkgraaf
- Germany Genies. Captains: Traci Thiessen and Florian Straub
- Banyan Trees (India). Captain: Rob Wilson New!
- The Irish Idols. Captain: Alfie Gilbert
- Team Italy. Captain: Chris Ferraiolo
- Kiwi Crew (New Zealand). Captains: Campbell Braddock
- Mighty Oaks (England). Captains: Joan Whitaker, Maddy Hardman, Frances Weidman, & Carol Keeling
- Nordic Noir (Sweden, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Iceland). Captain: Missy Berryann
- South African Springboks. Captain: Pam (Cormac) Cormac Smith
- Twisted Thistles (Scotland). Captains: Sarah Mason and Bobbie Hall
- Welsh Dragons (Wales). Captain: Jutta Beer New!
US states and regions
- Cornbread Catchers, (Southern USA, formerly Southern Sourcers). Captain: Debi Hoag
- Little Team on the Prairie, (Kansas, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas), Captain: Judi Stutz
- Team Mid-Atlantic US, (Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Washington D.C., and West Virginia). Other regions welcome as well! Captain: Lucy Selvaggio-Diaz & Mickey Bazley
- Team Missouri (Missouri and surrounding states), Captain: Lori Zukerman
- Nor'Easters (covering Massachusetts, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island). Captains: Steven Tibbetts
- Northwest Terriers. Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin Captain: Jean Andrews
- Southwest Sunshiners (covering Arizona, California, Colorado, New Mexico, Nevada and Utah) Captain: Russ Gunther
- Southern Super Sweepers (covering Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Texas). Captain: Tommy Buch & Dorothy Barry
- Team Massachusetts. Captain: Bob Keniston
- Team VIrginia (covering Virginia & West Virginia, Kentucky researchers from other states also welcome). Captains: Mindy Silva & Sandy Patak
- Western Red Cedars (covering Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Wyoming, Montana, Oregon and Idaho). Captain: Azure Robinson
- A Rose By Any Other Name (aka Team Roses) . Captain: Emma MacBeath
- Legacy Heirs. covering all profiles Captain: Lisa Murphy
- The Musty, Dusty Team. covering Pre-1500 profiles. Captains: Marty Acks - Rich Devlin
- Toddlin' Tortoises. Captain: Melanie Paul
- Tree Nuts. Captains: Julie Ricketts and Robin Shaules
Our goal is to reduce the number of unconnected profiles on WikiTree by adding missing relatives.
For scoring, we simply count the number of non-living parents, siblings, spouses and children you add. Often these will be "collateral" relatives that members neglected to add when adding their family tree. Each relative you add increases the chance that an individual's tree will intertwine with our global tree.
Scores are tracked automatically. You do not need to use the "challenge tracker" or manually keep track of how many profiles you add.
Each time you add a new non-living family member (parent, spouse or child) to any other profile, you will earn a point. New profiles must have at least one valid source.
Creating any new profile counts as one point, with just two exceptions:
- If you create a profile with no relationship to any other profile, it does not count.
- If you create a profile for a living person, it does not count.
- Create person A with Add an Unrelated Person: 0 points.
- Create person B as the spouse of person A: 1 point.
- Create person C as the child of person A: 1 point.
- Create person D as the parent of person B: 1 point.
Ideas for where to work from
There are a few different ways to choose profiles to add to:
- Work from your Watchlist
- One of the easiest ways to participate is to work on building out your own family lines. Sometimes we focus so much on our direct lines that we forget about the collateral ones. You can work on building outward, not just upward or downward.
- Work on your Unconnected Profiles
- If you click here you will see a list of the people on your Watchlist who are not yet connected to the main tree. You can sort that list several ways, and also limit it to a particular surname. If you click on the highlighted word "total" in the first paragraph on that page, you will see a list of all unconnected profiles on WikiTree, which works the same way.
- The Needs Profiles Created Category
- This category collects profiles that have sources for family members but these family members have not been added yet. For example, a member might have only created a profile for one child in a census and there are other children listed.
- Other ideas:
- The Connectors Chat lists the largest unconnected branches on WikiTree, unconnected branches which are particularly challenging, and unconnected notables.
- Data Doctors DBE Unconnected has reports for different countries in the world showing unconnected branches.
- More places to find unconnected profiles.
If you'd like further help, Mindy Silva created this great tutorial.
Current scores and progress
Here is how to see the current totals for individual members and teams. These progress reports are from WikiTree+.
|Reports||By User||By Team||By Team and User||Update frequency|
|Simple||User||Team||Team and User||5 min|
|By Day||User by Day||Team by Day||Team and User by Day||1 hour|
|Total By Hour||User By Hour||Team By Hour||1 hour|
You can also view the family members that are being added right now on this feed: Newly-Added Family. These additions are what are being counted in the reports above.
We will be hosting live YouTube video chats throughout the weekend to cheer each other on and announce t-shirt prize winners. There will be a chat every four hours, around the clock, with one winner drawn per chat.
You can find the schedule and links to the chats here.
We will be awarding special "2022 Connect-a-Thon" t-shirts as prizes.
- The top five winners who add the most profiles will get t-shirts.
- We will draw one participant at random during every video chat. You don't need to be in the chat to win but you do need to register in advance and be participating.
Every participant can get only one t-shirt, therefore if you win a drawing, you can't win again or get a t-shirt as a top contributor.
In addition to the participation badge, the top winners will get the 2022 Connect-a-Thon winner badge. These winners will include:
- The top 10 winners overall.
- Everyone on the winning team who participated (both overall and by average).
If you have Connect-a-Thon questions, please post them in G2G (discussion thread coming soon).
This page was last modified 01:23, 2 July 2022. This page has been accessed 49,406 times.