Help:DNA Confirmation Example
Categories: DNA Help
This example shows how to determine which parental relationships can be marked as Confirmed with DNA based on a DNA test match between third cousins.
Open the Relationship Trails
First use the Relationship Finder to view the relationship trails that connect you and your DNA test match to a shared ancestor. (Go to your cousin's profile and select "Relationship to Me" from the pull-down menu at the top that starts with their ID.)
For example, here is the Relationship Finder page for Chris Whitten and Glenn Legge:
Edit Each Child in the Relationship Trails
One at a time, edit the profile for each child in the two relationship trails.
We say "child" here because the relationships being confirmed are the individual relationships between a specific child and their father or mother.
Start with one of the two test-takers, e.g. with your own profile.
It's recommended that you open the profiles in a new tab or window so that you can leave the Relationship Finder page open. In most browsers you can do this by right-clicking on the profile link with your mouse, as illustrated here:
On the child's profile, click the Edit tab. Then edit two things:
First: Mark the Relationship Status
Look in the right column under "Edit Family."
Select the Relationship Status indicator that says Confirmed with DNA for the parent in the relationship trail.
Second: Add the source
Then scroll down to edit the sources in the text section.
Add something like this:
For more source examples see Help:DNA Confirmation.
Repeat the two steps above for each child in the two relationships trails.
In our example, all these relationships can be confirmed:
- Ted Whitten as the father of Chris Whitten (from Chris's profile.)
- Ed Whitten as the father of Ted Whitten (from Ted's profile.)
- Effie (Legge) Whitten as the mother of Ed Whitten (from Ed's profile.)
- Benjamin Legge as the father of Effie (Legge) Whitten (from Effie's profile.)
- Carroll Legge as the father of Glenn Legge (from Glenn's profile.)
- Floyd Legge as the father of Carroll Legge (from Carroll's profile.)
- Benjamin Legge as the father of Floyd Legge (from Floyd's profile.)
- Annie (Corkum) Legge as the mother of Effie (Legge) Whitten (from Effie's profile.)
- Annie (Corkum) Legge as the mother of Floyd Legge (from Floyd's profile.)
To explain this last set ...
Confirm Both Parents in Common Ancestral Couple
In most cases cousins share two most-recent common ancestors: a father and mother in an ancestral couple.
In these cases, the relationships to both parents can be marked as Confirmed with DNA.
In our example, on Effie (Legge) Whitten's profile, Benjamin is being confirmed as her father and Annie is being confirmed as her mother. And for Effie's brother Floyd, Benjamin is being confirmed as his father and Annie is being confirmed as his mother.
This page was last modified 13:28, 15 October 2021. This page has been accessed 12,257 times.