Permissions and Restrictions
Permissions are granted on an individual basis since we do not have a standard license. Do not access or use the data without permission.
Generally speaking, usage should be non-commercial, but commercial purposes may be allowed. We need to make sure they are consistent with the WikiTree Pledge, i.e. "we will never knowingly and willingly sell or transfer the worldwide family tree to any individual or organization that intends to charge for access to it."
Unless or until WikiTree no longer exists, i.e. Interesting.com, Inc. is no longer supporting it and there is no successor organization:
1.) Files should not be redistributed. This is because we want to be sure anyone using the files is doing so in accordance with the above and below.
2.) If applicable for your use, the data in your application must be regularly updated. This is particularly important for privacy reasons. Even though the data is privacy-controlled, privacy settings are edited by members and subject to change. A member may have set a person as public one day and change the setting to private the next day. We also respond to copyright claims and privacy take-down requests on a daily basis.
3.) If your application has hyperlinks, person data should clearly link to the original profiles on WikiTree so that full information, updates, and credit to contributors is available to your users.
The files are available on the apps.wikitree.com server. They require a special login for SFTP access. Logins are based on your WikiTree ID so you will need to register as a WikiTree member and confirm your e-mail address if you haven't already done so. Then email jamie [at] wikitree.com.
After SFTP login, navigate up to the /dumps directory.
They are currently updated once a week on Sunday nights.
Using the Files
They are zipped tab-separated data files. For the key to the fields see below.
This is the main file. It contains all people on WikiTree except those who are at the Privacy Level "Unlisted." The information included is privacy-controlled. For example, if a person does not have a public family tree their father and mother will be 0.
- User ID: This is needed to connect father, mother, marriages, and photos.
- WikiTree ID: This is needed for the WikiTree URL.
- WikiTree ID_DB: The same as the WikiTree ID, but with underscores.
- Touched: When the profile was last changed.
- Edit Count
- First Name: This concatenates WikiTree's Prefix, Formal First Name, and Middle Name fields if the person is public. If the person is private it's Prefix, Preferred First Name, and Middle Initial.
- Preferred Name
- Middle Name
- Last Name at Birth: aka maiden name.
- Last Name Current: aka married name.
- Last Name Other
- Birth Date: YYYY-MM-DD or a decade, e.g. 1960s, if the person is private.
- Death Date
- Birth Location
- Death Location
- Father: User ID for father.
- Mother: User ID for mother.
- No Children
- No Siblings
- Page ID
- Has Children
- Is Living
- Thank Count
- Is Locked
- Is Guest
The privacy number corresponds to our Privacy Levels like this:
- 10: Unlisted
- 20: Private
- 30: Private with Public Biography
- 35: Private with Public Family Tree
- 40: Private with Public Biography and Family Tree
- 50: Public
- 60: Open
The only relationship we store other than father and mother is spouses. (Siblings and children can be inferred from parental relationships.) Marriages are stored apart from our main person table.
- User ID1
- User ID2
- Marriage Location
- Marriage Date
- Marriage Date Status
- Marriage Location Status
We store a Marriage End Date but it is not currently included.
The same person can be in multiple marriages.
No marriages are included if either person is private.
This contains URLs to images on WikiTree along with connected IDs.
- User ID: The ID of the profile the image is attached to.
- Photo: The URl to the image.
- IsPrimary: If the photo is the primary image for a profile.
- Privacy: The privacy level of the image.
In addition to dump_people_photos there is a zipped file containing the 75-pixel thumbnails.
This contains profiles that have categories attached.
- User ID: The numeric ID of the profile the category exists on.
This contains the manager for each profile.
- ProfileUserId: The numeric ID of a profile.
- ManagerUserId: The number ID of the manager on the corresponding profile.
This page was last modified 10:44, 22 November 2020. This page has been accessed 8,825 times.