This is a new draft. [Team, for reference: BT 761.]
When saving changes, our system checks to make sure that certain invalid characters do not appear in some key data fields. We are currently working to improve this system so that additional characters that cause problems, or may cause problems later, are not allowed. Whitten-1 10:42, 13 July 2017 (EDT)
- All letters in all alphabets should be allowed
- Dashes (-).
- Apostrophes (')
- Period (.)
- Comma (,)
- Numbers are allowed in the following fields
Not Recommended but Currently Allowed
- The following are not explicitly forbidden but are not recommended and should not be used.
- Ampersands (&) -- appear in many location fields, but they are not recommended and should be avoided. Instead, spell out "and."
- Parentheses -- currently being used to denote modern locations; however, this is not a recommended method. These will be phased out.
- Square brackets ( [ ] ) -- currently being used to denote modern locations; however, this is not a recommended method. These will be phased out.
- If you are currently using parentheses, square brackets or another set of symbols in Location Fields, remove them as you encounter them and use a note in the Biography to describe the information previously contained in the Location Field.
This page was last modified 11:28, 6 December 2020. This page has been accessed 302 times.