Categories: WikiTree Help
Memories section of profiles
Every person's profile on WikiTree has a "Memories" section for personal reminiscences and stories you were told about the person. This is an opportunity to make a person more than just a name on a family tree.
Here's how they are different from the other sections of a profile:
- They are not wiki. They are meant to be first-person — written by you and not edited by others.
- They are private on all private profiles, including profiles that are Private with a Public Biography.
- They are tracked separately in activity feeds. Since they will be reported as memories, they may pique the interest of non-genealogist family members to click over and see what you have written.
Here are some suggestions of things you can share in the memory section.
For an ancestor's profile
- If this was a "brickwall" ancestor describe your process of discovery.
- How did it feel when you first discovered this person?
- What about their life inspires you or makes you proud?
- Describe your feelings in visiting where they lived or when you visited their grave.
For a parent's profile
- Were you told the story of how your parents met?
- What was your favorite dish that your mother cooked?
- What do you remember about your mother or father's job?
- What wisdom did they share that has stuck with you?
- What stories about your parents do you remember?
For a sibling's profile
- Describe something you and your siblings did that would horrify your mother.
- What qualities in them do you admire?
- What's the first thing you think of when you think about growing up with them?
For a child's profile
- Were you there when they were born? What do you remember about the day?
- Describe something a child did that made you laugh. Is there something that was not funny at the time, but you can laugh about now?
- What have they done that makes you proud?
For a spouse's profile
- How did you meet your spouse/significant other?
- What are/were your favorite activities together?
- What were the greatest challenges you faced together?
For other relatives' profiles
- Do you remember meeting the person for the first time?
- Did they ever tell you a funny story?
- What relative that has passed away would you most like to see again? What would you say to them or ask them? Put this memory on their profile.
- What was the last family event you attended? Who was there? Put memories from the event on different people's profiles.
- Did anyone in your immediate family ever serve in the military? Who and what branch? Add what you remember to their profile.
For your own profile
- Where were you and what were you doing on September 11, 2001?
- What kind of car do you drive? Who taught you to drive? (This memory might go on their profile.)
- Name one thing you would try to do if you were president.
- Name two places in the world you would like to visit and why.
- What is the worst meal you have ever made?
- How many town, cities or states have you lived in? See how many you can list.
- Do you remember your first phone number? What was it?
- Describe something you did that would horrify your kids.
- Have you ever met anyone famous? Who, where and when?
- Do you have a favorite book?
- Do you have a favorite movie?
- Name an organization you're a member of, such as a church, union, book club, social club, FBI's Most Wanted List.
- What advice do you give your kids that you feel is most important?
See also: Biographies.
This page was last modified 18:37, 14 November 2020. This page has been accessed 7,907 times.