Categories: WikiTree Help
If you are on the Trusted List for a profile you will see its Private View by default but you can click the Public View tab as an easy way to see what other people see.
Even on the Public View, you won't see exactly what others see. The best way to see exactly what others see is to log out of WikiTree. (You may also need to clear your web browser's cache or force reloads of individual pages that you have visited before by clicking Cntl+F5.)
Differences Between What You See and What Others See on Public View
- The Pull-Down Menus at the top of the page still appear for you, but would not for others.
- What you see if you click an "Ancestors" or "Descendants" button may be different.
- What you see if you click any link will be different. Clicking a link takes you away from the Public View. For example, if you click to view the details of a change you'll be seeing what you would normally see. If you weren't on the Trusted List you couldn't see those details.
- Related to the above: The Public View is only for the main profile page. Most other pages look essentially the same whether or not you are on the profile's Trusted List — if the public can access them all. A few notable exceptions:
- If you click on a thumbnail image on a public profile you will not see the larger version and the photo details if you are not on the Trusted List.
- On Family Tree and Descendant pages you will not see private relatives' names unless you are on their Trusted Lists. For example, if a public father has a public son and a private daughter, the father's Descendants page will list the son's name but not the daughter's. There are also some "My Family Tree" links on these pages that are unique to you.
- On Privacy pages for public profiles you will see who is on the Trusted List but not their e-mail addresses, and of course you can't perform actions such as changing the Privacy Level or adding other people to the Trusted List.
This page was last modified 16:32, 27 December 2017. This page has been accessed 7,512 times.