Help:Saturday Sourcing Sprints
See sourcing_sprints in G2G for the current challenge.
What are Saturday Sourcing Sprints?
Sourcing Saturday Sprints are one-day challenges. They're casual mini-versions of our fun annual Source-a-Thon.
To participate, simply reply once in the current G2G Forum post, giving us your GMT time zone and team name, if any. After that, use the Challenge Tracker to count your profiles sourced (see the weekly thread for instructions). We can continue to use the thread to brag, complain, commiserate, and generally share and have now added a Google Hangout where we can chat real time. It will be as quiet or busy as we make it.
- All profiles improved must come from the Unsourced categories or already be present on WikiTree and unsourced (don't create new profiles without sources and then add them).
- The tally is of profiles improved, not sources added. That said, if you can add a number of sources to a profile, all the better. Remember, your sources need to be as full and specific as possible, so others find them useful. That means, if the source is online, you should link to it. If it is a page from a book, the page number should be included so others can easily see where you found the reference.
- If the only source on a profile is "Ancestry tree," "Geni.com," Ancestry search results page, "Pedigree Resource Files" from FamilySearch, and the like, the profile can count as unsourced. If you add better sources to the profiles, it can count in your tally.
- If you attempt to add sources to a profile and just cannot find any, please add a note under a == Research Notes == section giving where you tried to find records and you can sign it with the four tildes so the date is applied as well. That way the next researcher knows where to start. Do not remove the Unsourced Template and do no count in your tally. Examples:
- "Looked for John in the US Census records for 1900-1940 and couldn't find him on FamilySearch or Ancestry"
- "Searched Google for an obituary and didn't find one."
- "FamilySearch's Pedigree Resource File has a record for this person but no sources are included" and give the link
- If you find a match and can merge a profile into an already sourced profile, that counts too. You still found a source, plus you eliminated a duplicate.
Follow the tag sourcing_sprints to get the weekly posts.
Changes and Suggestions
- The Saturday Sprints started November 2016 and are still evolving. See this G2G post for changes and suggestions.
- Total sourced profiles by week for October:
- 474 for 4 November 2017
- 118 for 11 November 2017
- 391 for 18 November 2017
- for 25 November 2017
Congratulations to John Noel, Saturday Sourcing Sprint winner for the Sprint held 18 November 2017!
Participant list current through 22 November 2017 2:46pm EST
- 7 October 2017, 14 October 2017, 21 October 2017, 28 October 2017
- 4 November 2017, 11 November 2017, 18 November 2017
This page was last modified 15:11, 22 November 2017. This page has been accessed 4,038 times.