Springtime is here! To celebrate, we're having a three-day Spring Clean-a-Thon April 22-24!
Our goal for the Spring Clean-a-Thon is to clear out as many database errors as possible. To make it fun we're having teams and competing to see who can clear out the most.
We're starting Saturday morning at 12:01 EDT (GMT -4), April 22.
The event runs until Monday at midnight EDT, April 24.
We have these set times so that Wiki Genealogists from all over the world will be participating together, at the same time.
We will be hosting live YouTube Hangouts throughout the weekend to cheer each other on and announce prize winners. There will be one every four hours, around the clock.
Click here for the Hangout Schedule and viewing links.
You need to register in advance.
Sorry, but registration is now closed. We'd love your help cleaning, but you won't be eligible for the door prizes, etc.
If you have any trouble or questions, contact Eowyn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The cut-off date for registering is April 20, 2017 at 12:01 am.
Participants will be divided into teams.
If you don't choose a team by April 19 (by answering that team's G2G post, see below), you will be assigned a team based on the location or interest you mentioned in your registration post, or randomly.
Forming a Team
Any participant can organize a team.
Teams can be organized around anything, or just for fun. They could be location-based, for a surname, related to a project, or, especially pertinent for the Clean-a-Thon: around a specific error or error group.
Team leaders will be expected to post updates on how their team is doing from time to time in the team thread. (This will be posted once the Clean-a-Thon has begun.)
What's your idea? Start a team by posting in G2G asking for members, and create a free-space profile for your team to communicate on, and for customized error lists to be posted to for your team to use during the Clean-a-Thon.
Note: You can only be on one team and teams are capped at 20 members each, including the Team Leader.
- Team The Musty, Dusty Team, (42748 Errors), , Pre 1500 errors, Leader: Robin Lee
- Team LDS Project, (361+6705 Errors), , LDS Project & Utah errors, Leader: Jamie Nelson
- Team Australia, (25888 Errors), , Australia, Leader: Vicky Majewski
- Team Canada Cleanup Crew, (63198 Errors), , Leader: Erin Breen
- Team Flying Dutchmen, (17568 Errors), , Netherlands, Leader: Bea Wijma
- Team Spic-n-Span Scandinavians, (24594 Errors), , Sweden,Norway,Finland,Denmark, Leader: Julie Ricketts
- Team Springboks South Africa, (5698 Errors), , South Africa, Leader: Susan de Bruyn
- Team UKleaners, (179627 Errors), , United Kingdom, Leader: Eowyn Langholf
- Team Massachusetts 600, (112734 Errors), , Errors in Massachusetts (mainly 600 Location), Leader: Bob Keniston
- Team New England Neatniks, (261434 Errors), , Pennsylvania,PA,New York,NY,Ohio,OH,Connecticut,CT, Leader: Eowyn Langholf
- Team Nor'Easters, (170316 Errors), . Canadian Maritimes and New England: Newfoundland, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island. Leader: Chris Whitten
- Team Southern Super Sweepers, (302671 Errors), , Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas, Leader: Dorothy Barry
- Team Tennessee, (40926 Errors), , All errors in Tennessee, Leader: Summer (Binkley) Orman
- Team Tidying Tornadoes, (188775 Errors), , Illinois, Iowa, Indiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Leader: Abby Glann
- Team Virginia Spring Cleaners, (124503 Errors), , Virginia profiles (mainly 600 Location), Leader Liz Shifflett, Co-Leader Pat Hickin
- Repeated LDS Project, (361+6705 Errors), , LDS Project & Utah errors, Leader: Jamie Nelson
WorldWide or Multi-National
- Team 811, (194731 Errors), , 811 Uncleaned profile after merge errors, Leader: Lori Zukerman
- Team A Rose By Any Other Name, (663494 Errors), , 600 Location &700 Name errors, Leader: Emma McBeth
- Team Clean Sweepers, , ?simple errors?, Leader: Abby Glann
- Team Cobweb Catchers, (175876 Errors), , 570 FindAGrave errors, Leader: Lance Martin
- Team Dust Bunnies, (47275 Errors), , 900 unconnected profiles errors, Leader: Eowyn Langholf
- Team Dust Busters, , Leader: Julie Ricketts
- Team Merry Moppers, , Leader: Lucy Lavelle
- Team Watchlist Washers, , Personal Watch list errors, Leader: Karen Tobo
A detailed tutorial can be found on the Spring Clean-a-Thon Tutorial.
Where to Find Errors to Correct
There are a few different ways to choose errors to work on:
- By Project:
- Go to the category page for the project you're interested in, e.g., Category: Project Name Project -- and look for the sub-categories named "Project Name Needs ..." or "Project Name Maintenance Categories".
- Use the "Managed By" option on WikiTree+ and enter the Project Account to run the error list on the watchlist for your project. You can find a list of Project Accounts here: Category: Project Accounts
- By Error Category:
- By Surname:
- Go to any surname page and click the "error report" link (HINT: It's in the middle of the links above the list of profiles)
Progress reports are up to 5 minutes old:
- Status changes by Team
- Status changes by Team (Detailed)
- Status changes by Team and User
- Status changes by Team and Error
- Status changes by Team and User and Error
- Status changes by Team and Error by Day
- Status changes by Team and User by Day
- Status changes by Users
- Status changes by Errors
- Status changes by hour
- Status changes by hour by Team
- Status changes by Errors Team
Once you finish work on an error, you can set a status and enter a comment for it.
There are five actions:
- Comment (no change in status): This enables you to add a comment without changing the status.
- Not corrected: This sets the error as not corrected. It will continue to be shown in all lists.
- Corrected (hide until next recheck): This sets the error as corrected so it will be hidden from error reports until next dump. After that it will be shown again if it was not actually corrected.
- False error (hide forever): This sets the error as a false error. It will be hidden from WikiTree+ error reports forever.
- Proposed merge (hide for 30 days): This hides the error for 30 days thus giving a merge time to be completed. The error will be hidden from prepared error lists.
Each time you work an error and set the status, you'll earn a contribution point.
We will be awarding special "WikiTree Spring Clean-a-Thon 2017" t-shirts as prizes.
Winners will be drawn at random in live YouTube Hangouts that we will be hosting every four hours during the weekend. See Hangouts for the scheduled times. Note that you don't need to video chat to participate, you can just watch and post comments if you like.
To be eligible to win you need to:
- have registered in advance, and
- be online during the drawing.
We know that many participants won't be online when their number is drawn. The Clean-a-Thon is running 24-hours a day for 72 hours straight. If you're online for 72 hours we'll be worried about you!
If you're not present when your name is drawn, you'll have until the next Hangout starts to claim your shirt. Winning names will be posted at the top of this G2G message. You claim your prize by replying to the G2G post.
If you don't claim your shirt before the next drawing, your name will go back in the hat.
After someone wins and claims a prize, their name will come out of the hat. In other words, you can't win more than one shirt.
Badges for Winners
In addition to the participation badge, the top winners will get the 2017 Spring Clean-a-Thon Winner badge. These winners will include:
- The top five overall participants.
- The top participant in each error category.
- All active participants on the winning team.
Also see: Clean-a-Thon Questions
This page was last modified 07:29, 29 December 2017. This page has been accessed 8,696 times.