- Eston (Hemmings) Jefferson's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
Eston was born into slavery at Monticello, the youngest son of Sally Hemmings and Thomas Jefferson, as evidenced in a 1998 DNA test that showed a descendant of Eston matched the Jefferson male line.
Jefferson freed Eston and his older brother Madison in his will, as they had not come of age at his death.
Abt 1852 Eston and his wife and 3 children moved to Madison Wisconsin where they changed their surname to Jefferson and entered the white community, their descendants identifying as white.
A 1998 DNA study found that a male descendant of Eston Hemmings Jefferson matched the rare Y-chromosome of the Jefferson male line. Most historians took this result as affirming other historical evidence related to the paternity issue, and have acknowledged that the president and Sally Hemmings had a 38-year relationship in which he fathered her six children of record. While some historians disagree, most Jeffersonian scholarship has changed to incorporate this.
- ↑ See this well-sourced Wikipedia article for a discussion of the evidence
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Monticello. org
Profile created by Leslie Ridley 16 Jan 2014
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Eston by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Eston:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 19 Apr 2016 at 11:12 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
Eston is 18 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 34 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 17 degrees from Bob Keniston, 20 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 15 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.