- William Hoff's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
William HOFF (bp 20 Apr 1685 Brooklyn - will of 30 Oct 1742, Middleton twp, Monmouth Co, NJ, proved 20 Nov 1746) apparently lived at Trenton and in Monmouth Co. One William HUFF was a resident of Maidenhead by 1722. He named his wife Elizabeth ( - will of 1 July 1758) as executor of his will and bequeathed to his son William, dau Catherine DORSETT, and "three youngest children." Witnesses were James MOTT, Jarratt WALL, and Garsham WALLING. William was a yeoman with considerable property. On 11 Dec 1746, inventory of the estate by James MOTT and Gisbert VANBRACKEL showed estate worth over 386 pounds, including 2 guns and a negro man.
In her will, Widow Elizabeth HUFF listed ch William HOFF, Leonard HUFF; Richard HUFF, John HUFF, Catherine DORSETT, Sarah GIGRE, Hannah CARMEN, Christian HUFF, and Elizabeth HUFF. It appears that this family is fairly complete. John, Christian, and Elizabeth HUFF were to execute the will. All the ch were listed as HUFF except William, who remained as HOFF.
William HOFF and his family had apparently lived at Trenton, NJ, in 1740; and they had property both in Trenton and at another location two miles out of town. They owned a large tract of land on Weycake-Neck where Leonard HOFF lived in 1748. Elizabeth HOFF in 1748 still lived in Trenton. Eldest son William HUFF of Shrewsbury, Middleton twp, Monmouth Co, in 1750 objected to any sale of property to which he was not a partner. Of the above, William seemed to have stayed in NJ and Leonard, Richard, and John possibly moved away. Diligent research in NJ records may indicate what happened to Leonard, Richard, and John; but this has not been done.
1. William HOFF ( ) was apparently the eldest son who felt he had an inherent right to approve or not approve any of his mother's actions. He is believed to be the person who md Abigail WALLING and had at least four ch; namely Leonard; John (who md Helena STOUT); William (who md (1) Elizabeth WALLING and (2) Martha DEY; and Elizabeth (who md Andrew MAIN. This William HOFF (or HUFF) apparently lived near Shrewsbury, Middleton twp, Monmouth Co, NJ. His descendants prospered there as HOFF.
2. Katherine A. (bp 4 mo, 22d, 1714, Maidenhead, Hunterdon Co, NJ - ) md ???? DORSETT by 1742. The year of marriage may have been 1740.
3. Leonard (of age in 1748 NJ - ) lived on a tract of land on Weycake-Neck, a part of his father's estate, in 1748. He and his mother advertised some of his father's estate for sale, but the oldest son William HOFF, Jr, objected to any sale to which he was not a party. Leonard was alive in 1758 and was specifically mentioned in his mother's will.
(It has been suggested that Leonard was the person (c 1720/25 - poss before 1800 Cocke Co, TN) who moved to the Southwest VA frontier by 1760. Indeed, three individuals, Leonard Hoof/Huff, Richard Hough/Huff, and John Huff were just east of the Blue Ridge in present day Franklin Co about 1760 and later. Little is known about Richard and John and where they went later. Leonard from this group moved across the mountains and settled at Bent Mountain in present day Roanoke or Floyd Co. By 15 Mar 1786, Leonard was exempt from paying taxes, indicating a probable birth year of 1721. The Leonard HUFF/HOOF of SW VA was apparently md with ch becoming adults in the 1770/80 era. By 1782, Leonard, Sr, and Leonard, Jr, were both landowners and residents of Botetourt Co, VA. It is generally assumed that Leonard, Sr, and his wife Elizabeth moved to Cocke Co, TN, by 1788, where Leonard became a member of the Big Pigeon Primitive Baptist Church. This Leonard died before 1800, and his wife Elizabeth designated her son John as her attorney to get back her lands in Montgomery Co, VA. This Leonard and Elizabeth clearly had son John, probably son Leonard, and, by family tradition, sons Joseph and Peter. These four probable sons did go to TN before 1800. It is possible that a generation has been lost among the Leonard HUFF families. It is also clear that no documentation has ever found which indicates that Leonard of SW VA is the same person as Leonard, son of William, of NJ. There are also Leonard HOFF/Huff individuals in Lancaster Co, PA, Fredreick Co, MD, Hampshire Co, VA, and Orange Co, NC, who could just as logically be the son of William.)
4. Richard (alive in 1758 NJ - ) is only known from the will of his mother. There are one or two references to a Richard HOUGH or HUFF in SW Virginia east of the Blue Ridge in present day Patrick, Henry, or Franklin counties. His origin and family are not known.
5. John (alive in 1758 as a resident of Middletown, NJ - ) is known from the will of his mother. He was executor, along with his sisters Christian and Elizabeth. (He seems by age to have been the person in Monmouth Co, NJ, who md Helena STOUT, but other records indicate this was not the case. As shown above, the John who md Helena is believed to have been son of William and Abigail, and nephew to this John.) One John HUFF did appear in SW VA east of the Blue Ridge Mountains in the 1760 decade. If he is not this person, his origin and family are not known.
6. Sarah ( ) had md ???? GIGRE by 1758. One Sarah HOFF, spinster, dau of William HOFF of Trenton, Hunterdon Co, NJ, on 29 Jan 1739/40 md Thomas PEARSON of Nottingham, Burlington Co, NJ. If the same person, her marriage to GIGRE was as a widow.
7. Hannah ( ) by 1758 md to ??? CARMEN. (One Hannah HUFF (2-12-1725 - ) in Trinity Ch, prob. in Middlebury, Monmouth Co, NJ, on 2-22-1757 md Richard BURGE. She must have been a different person.)
8. dau Christian ( ) unm in 1758.
9. Elizabeth ( ) unm in 1758.
Huff/Hoff lineage is William and Elizabeth ( ) HOFF of NY and NJ; Dirk Pauluszen (Hoff) and Sara (Willemse) of NY; Paulus Dirksen and Gerrtje (Willemse) of NY and NJ;
- Research by Edwin Huff
- pp 1-10, Eileen M. Bone, Shirttail Kin, 1984.
- p 239, NJ Calendar of Wills, 1730-1750, will of William HOFF.
- p 257, NJ Calendar of Wills, 1771-1780, will of Elizabeth Hoff, dated 1 Jul 1758.
- 1722 William Hooff's lot in Trenton bounded that of Enoch Andrus on 15 Apr 1722. (WJD BB:362).
- 1727 William Hooff was one of 8 grantees in a deed of Enoch Andrus for a lot in Trenton, 150 by 150 feet. (WJD AT:108).
- Compilation by Harman R. Clark, Jr, 229 So. Washington Ave, Dunellen, NJ p8812-1645.
- Max Huff, William and Elizabeth Hoff of NY, NJ, documented 2/6/94 based on earlier research by Granville Hough
2. Pieter (c 1678 Brooklyn, NY - c 1748) also adopted HOFF as a surname. He md c 1704 Catherine BROUCARD (bp 14 Mar 1686 - before 1748), dau of Burgeon and Catherine (LE FEBRE) BROUCARD, and lived in Flushing, LI, and NJ. He was mentioned in the will of his father as a minor debtor to the estate. Ch incl Pieter; Borgon; Dirck or Richard; Catalyntje; Egen or Jannetje; Gertrude; Isaa
Thank you to Michael Harris for creating WikiTree profile Hoff-421 through the import of M. F. Harris Family Tree_2013-09-09.ged on Oct 28, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Michael and others. Thank you to Joshua Storment for creating WikiTree profile Hoff-445 through the import of janehuff.ged on Dec 18, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Joshua and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with William by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line. It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with William:
- Chris (Merrell) Brady : 23andMe, GEDMatch M665829
- Teri (Merrell) Foreman : 23andMe, GEDMatch M085992
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 9 Jul 2016 at 18:13 GMT Ros Haywood wrote:
On 2 May 2016 at 22:42 GMT Michelle McQueen wrote:
On 2 May 2016 at 03:28 GMT Billy Huff wrote:
On 2 May 2016 at 00:41 GMT Kenneth Kinman wrote:
On 29 Mar 2016 at 01:24 GMT Billy Huff wrote:
On 29 Mar 2016 at 01:08 GMT Billy Huff wrote:
William is 20 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 25 degrees from Bob Dylan, 19 degrees from AJ Jacobs, 19 degrees from Michael Phelps and 18 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.