Profile last modified 3 Jan 2020
| Created 5 Mar 2015
This page has been accessed 397 times.
Joshua was born about 1802. Joshua Holcomb ... He passed away about 1872. 
Joshua L. (T?), b. 1802-3, SC. Cherokee application # 17775, of son James A. (Sylvester) lists Joshua as dying 4 Oct. 1881, near Atlanta; application # 7189 lists Joshua's death date as 1872, in former Milton Co., presently Fulton Co., GA.
Joshua's son Bennett lists his father as being born in TN on 1900 census. Joshua was a farmer living in the 587th GA Military District, (Clayton) Rabun Co., GA, where he served as Constable in 1846.
Joshua signed deeds in Rabun Co. for land: 28 Jan 1828, for land lot #58, in 5th district, for 490 acres; 6 Nov. 1829, for land lot #17 & 18, in 2nd district, for 50 acres; 6 May 1859, for land lot #14, in 2nd district, for 50 acres.
He married in Rabun 9 July 1823, to Nancy Tilly (also Tilley, Tiller, Talley). Their children:
1. Thomas Jefferson, b. 1824-5, married 2 Feb. 1846 to Elizabeth Welborn;
2. John T., b. 1827-8
Nancy died and Joshua signed bond in Rabun, 14 June 1843, as guardian for Thomas J. And John T. Holcomb.
His 2nd marriage was to Malinda Gooch, b. SC 1810-11. Application # 17775 states Malinda Gutch d. 19 Aug. 1880. Their children:
3. Edward McDonald, b. 1828-9, married Susannah Bates. Edward served as Pastor to Hopewell Bapt. Church, Milton Co., ca 1857-59, application #17775 lists Edwin as b. 1830, d. 1867;
4. Reuben P., b. 1830-31, married 18 Aug. 1853, in Habersham Co., GA., to Sarah Putnam. Sarah b. ca 1834 GA;
5. Infant, died unnamed;
6. William Walker (H.), b. 1833-4, married 7 June 1853, in Habersham Co., GA, to Cynthia Welborn. Cynthia b. 1 June 1853;
7. Tillman Dixon, b. 8 Apr. 1836, d. 18 Aug. 1913, Jefferson Co., AL, married Lousia Jane Bates 13 Jan 1858 in Milton Co., GA, She was b. 11 Aug. 1836, DeKalb Co., GA, d. 3 Jan 1929, Jefferson Co., AL;
8. Isabella, 1837-8;
9. Henry Snow, b. 26 Feb. 1840, d. 16 Feb. 1935, Oakman, Gordon Co., GA, buried Hopewell Bapt. Cem, Oakman, married Rhonda Ann Bates 26 Oct. 1863 in Milton Co., GA, b. 26 July, 1844 in DeKalb Co., GA, d. 25 April 1916, Oakman, Gordon Co., GA, buried same;
10. Bennett Gaines, [my line] b. 9 June 1842, d. 3 Aug. 1923;
11. Renda, (or Ronda);
12. Malinda L., 1845-46, married George W. Worley;
13. Vienna Minerva, b. 1847-8, d. 28 Dec. 1937, Bolton, buried Hollywood Cem., Fulton Co., GA, married Jasper M. T. Bates, 13 Dec. 1866, b. 28 Sept. 1842, DeKalb Co., GA, d. 10 Sept. 1914, buried same in section 1-c, lot # 432;
14. Amanda, (Elmira?) b. 1849-50; 15. James (Sylvester) A., b.1852-3, married Molly Mary Hood. Sylvester is buried in Chattanooga, TN.Family
Is Joshua your ancestor? Please don't go away! Login to collaborate or comment, or contact
the profile manager, or ask our community of genealogists a question.
Sponsored Search by Ancestry.com
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Joshua by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA.
However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line.
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Joshua: