- Maria (Jay) Banyar's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
When Maria Jay was born on February 20, 1782, in Madrid, Spain, her father, John, was 36 and her mother, Sarah, was 25. She married Goldsborough Banyar on April 22, 1801 in New York. They had two children during their marriage. She died on November 21, 1856, in New York, at the age of 74.
Maria was inseparable from her sister, Ann (Nancy), until she insisted on attending the Moravian Young Ladies' Seminary in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania.
When her mother died, she became very distraught. This tragedy was followed by the deaths of her son, Goldsborough, husband and daughter, Sarah (all within eight years). Her faith allowed her to carry on and care for her aging father-in-law. In 1819, she joined her father in his retirement at Bedford, and upon his death moved with Ann to New York City. They were once again inseparable and together, were very dedicated to charities including the Episcopal Church, Sunday schools, family members and others less fortunate and in need.
Remarkably, they died within eight days of each other in 1856.
Maria is buried at John Jay Cemetery, Rye, Westchester County, New York.
Maria can be found in the 1850 United States Federal Census at New York Ward 15 Eastern half, New York, New York (family number 790). Other members of the household include: Ann Banyer (68), Eliza Jay (26), Matilda Jay (24), Eliza Kelly (23), Mary Daley (25), Bridget Crowan (20) and Edward Taig (50).
Maria Banyer was mentioned in the following newspaper articles:
- The Evening Post (New York, New York), 14 Mar 1839, Thu, Page 4 (Newspapers.com).
- The Evening Post (New York, New York), 10 May 1839, Fri, Page 4 (Newspapers.com).
- The Evening Post (New York, New York), 24 Apr 1846, Fri, Page 1 (Newspapers.com)
- Brooklyn Evening Star (Brooklyn, New York), 22 Nov 1856, Sat, Page 2 (Newspapers.com)
- The Sun (Baltimore, Maryland), 24 Nov 1856, Mon, Page 4 (Newspapers.com)
- The Sun (Baltimore, Maryland), 26 Nov 1856, Wed, Page 4 (Newspapers.com)
- The Times-Picayune (New Orleans, Louisiana), 2 Dec, 1856, Tue, Page 8 (Newspapers.com)
- The Sun (Baltimore, Maryland), 3 Dec 1856, Wed, Page 1 (Newspapers.com)
- Burlington Weekly Free Press (Burlington, Vermont), 26 Dec 1856, Fri, Page 1 (Newspapers.com)
On 18 Nov 2008 Crystal McCann wrote:
passionately, as no mortal should love a mortal. Little would those who think 'the heart soon heals' believe how deeply to this day I feel his loss."
On 18 Nov 2008 Crystal McCann wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Maria's mitochondrial DNA have taken an mtDNA test and no close relatives have taken a 23andMe, AncestryDNA, or Family Tree DNA "Family Finder" test.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Send a private message to the Profile Manager. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Maria is 17 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Stephen Hopkins, 20 degrees from Ben Kingsley, 20 degrees from David Selman and 14 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.