||William Kelsey migrated to New England during the Puritan Great Migration (1620-1640).|
Join: Puritan Great Migration Project
William KELSEY is not on any of the three passenger lists at the Mary and John Clearinghouse, and arrived in 1632 or 1633. It is a mistake to assign him as a passenger of the 1630 ship Mary & John.
Disputed wife The mistaken notion that William Kelsey's wife was a "Bethiah [?Hopkins]" can be traced to early reporting by a number of authors. In 1846, she was mis-identified by Hinman as "Bethia" the woman who married second to David Phillips.
- Unless otherwise noted, the information that follows was abstracted from Robert Charles Anderson's 1995 work on the immigrant, William Kelsey.
William Kelsey was born about 1609, based on estimated date of marriage; origins unknown. [Gale Ion Harris says he was born "in England, about 1600, perhaps in county Essex"]  He migrated in 1633, settling initially in Cambridge, Massachusetts, but removing first to Hartford, Connecticut in 1635 and last to Killingworth, Connecticut by 1668.
He married by 1634 _____ ____, who was "born about 1613 and living at Hartford in December 1666" [TAG 68:213-214]. (Several false leads regarding the identity of the wife of William Kelsey have been carefully examined and discarded by George E. McCracken and Gale Ion Harris [TAG 37:38-42, 68:211-14]. Based on onomastic evidence Harris suggests that her given name was Hester.)
Original proprietor of Hartford, Connecticut
William Kelsey, born ab. 1600; Cambridge, 1632; freeman, Mass., March 4, 1635; removed to Hartford, where he was an original proprietor; his homelot in the distribution of 1639 was on the road from Centinel Hill to the North Meadow (now Village Street.); removed to Killingworth, ab. 1663; rep. in 1671 from K.; he was living in June, 1674. - Ch.: i. John; Killingworth. ii. Abigail, b. April 19, 1645. iii. Stephen, bapt. Nov. 7, 1647; m. Nov. 15, 1672, Hannah, dau. of John Ingersoll; his father gave him his dwelling-house, and he remained in Hartford; d. Nov. 30, 1710. iv. Daniel, b. July, 1650.
On 21 Sept 1676, his will and inventory were presented at New London County Court; these documents do not, unfortunately survive. [TAG 69:28, citing New London County Court Records, Trials, 3:83]
Children of William Kelsey
- Mark, b say 1634; m1 in Windsor 8 Mar 1658/9 Rebecca Hoskins [WiLR 1:58]; m2 in Windsor 26 Dec 1683 Abigail (____) Atwood, widow of Capt. Thomas Atwood [WiLR 1:58; CTVR 52 (giving only the year of the event)].
- Hester, b abt 1636; m1 by 1656 James Eggleston, son of Bigod Eggleston; m2 in Windsor 29 Apr 1680 James Eno; m3 Windsor 10 Jun 1686 John Williams. (See TAG 68:208-10 for a detailed discussion of her marital career, which includes full documentation.)
- John, b abt 1638; m by 1668 Hannah Desborough [TAG 38:210-11, 68:214]
- Priscilla, b abt 1640 (aged 17 on 22 Dec 1657 [TAG 68:214, citing WMJ 74]); m by Jan 1659/60? Cornelius Gillett, son of Jonathan Gillett [TAG 68:214].
- Mary, b abt 1644 (aged 14 in May 1658 [TAG 68:215, citing WMJ 109]); m in Windsor 23 Apr 1661 Jonathan Gillett [Grant 39], son of Jonathan Gillett.
- Abigail, b Hartford 19 Apr 1645 [HaBOP 575]; m Killingworth 3 Dec 1668 John Hull [TAG 68:215]
- Stephen, bp Hartford 7 Nov 1647 [HaBOP 578]; living 1670/1 [HaBOB 141-44]
- Daniel, b Hartford July 1650 [HaBOP 581]; ;m1 Killingworth 27 Mar 1672 Mary Stevens [TAG 68:215]; m2 by 1693 Jane Chalker [TAG 68:231].
- ↑ http://www.thekelseykindred.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=115
- ↑ https://familysearch.org/photos/artifacts/2368874
- ↑ https://archive.org/stream/hcbbrownson#page/98/mode/2up/search/Kelsey
- ↑ John Steevens of Guilford, Connecticut : five generations of 17th & 18th century descendants with surnames Steevens, Stevens, Stephens, Kelsey ... by Barlow, Claude W: https://archive.org/details/johnsteevensofgu00barl?q=kelsey+genealogy
- ↑ The "Old Northwest" genealogical quarterly: https://archive.org/stream/oldnorthwestgene12oldn_0#page/225/mode/1up/search/kelsey+genealogy
- ↑ Source: #S369 Search for the Passengers of the "Mary & John 1630, Volume 1, Page: 32
- ↑ R. R. Hinman, ‘’A catalogue of the names of the first Puritan settlers of the colony of Connecticut; with the time of their arrival in the colony, and their standing in society, together with their place of residence, as far as can be discovered by the records. Collected from the state and town records’’ (1846), 44; digital images, ‘’Hathi Trust’’ (accessed 2014).
- ↑ Robert Charles Anderson, Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Vols I-III (1995), 3 vols., 2:1117-1119 "William Kelsey."
- ↑ Source: #S74185 The Family of William^1 Kelsey of Hartford, Connecticut with notes on Hester^2 Kelsey, Wife of James^2 Eggleston, James^1 Eno, and John^1 Williams of Windsor, Connecticut, Gale Ion Harris, TAG Vol 68 (1993), page 210
- ↑ Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford--William Kelsey
- ↑ Source: #S197 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, p. 768 Text: Mary Kelsey...daughter of William Kelsey [TAG68:209, 210, 215]
- ↑ Source: #S197 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, p. 768 Text: Priscilla....daughter of William Kelsey [TAG 68:214; Grant 39]
- ↑ Source: #S401 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, Page: 768 Text: Mary Kelsey...daughter of William Kelsey [TAG68:209, 210, 215]
- ↑ Source: #S401 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, p. 768 Text: Priscilla....daughter of William Kelsey [TAG 68:214; Grant 39]
- ↑ Source: #S197 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, page 768 Text: ...daughter of William Kelsey.
- ↑ Source: #S401 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, Page 768 Text: ...daughter of William Kelsey.
- Source: S74185Gale Ion Harris, The Family of William^1 Kelsey of Hartford, Connecticut with notes on Hester^2 Kelsey, Wife of James^2 Eggleston, James^1 Eno, and John^1 Williams of Windsor, Connecticut, The American Genealogist Vol. 68 (1993): 208-215; digital images, AmericanAncestors.org (accessed 2014). [Note: In his 1995 overview of the immigrant, William Kelsey, Robert Charles Anderson referred to this article and wrote, "We rely on [Harris'] conclusions here, except for a few minor adjustments in approximated dates to conform with the guidelines used in these volumes.]
- George E. McCracken, "The Wife of William Kelsey," The American Genealogist 37 (1960):38-42; digital images, AmericanAncestors.org (accessed 2014). [Note: This work is referred to and cited by Gale Ion Harris in "The Family of William^1 Kelsey of Hartford, Connecticut ..." The American Genealogist 68 (1993):208-215.]
- The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III. (Online database: AmericanAncestors.org, New England Historic Genealogical Society, 2010), (Originally Published as: New England Historic Genealogical Society. Robert Charles Anderson, The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Volumes I-III, 3 vols., 1995). Pages 1117 - 1119
- Society of the Descendants of the Founders of Hartford.
- Barbour, Lucius Barnes, 1982, Families of Early Hartford, Connecticut, Baltimore, Maryland: Genealogical Publishing Co. Inc. (1982), Baltimore, Maryland and Glastonbury, Connecticut: Connecticut Society of Genealogists, Inc. (1982), p.351
- The Kelsey Genealogy Book 1, pages 24 to 38; Harleian Society Publications, Volume XIV, page 588; Bysshe's Visitation of Essex, page 55; Burke's General Armory Kelsey Family Website
- Source: S197 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, Anderson, Robert Charles, Great Migration Study Project, New England Historic Genealogical Society ; Boston, 1995 Date: 09 Apr 2004, Vol. II, G-O Repository: #R175 Call Number: Gen Ref 974 An24g v.2 (G-O) Repository: R175 Saint Joseph County Public Library, 304 South Main Street, South Bend, IN 46601 USA, URL: www.libraryforlife.org
- Source: S401 Great Migration Begins : Immigrants to New England 1620-1633; Vol. II, G-O, Anderson, Robert Charles, Great Migration Study Project, New England Historic Genealogical Society ; Boston, 1995
- Source: S276 and S369 Search for the Passengers of the "Mary & John 1630, Volume 1: Passengers & their children, Publication: Burton W. Spear, 5602 305th Street, Toledo, Ohio 43611, copyright 1985 - B. W. Spear, Fourth Printing - revised Date: 12 Aug 2006, Repository: #R209 Call Number: Gc 974 Sp3s v.1 Repository: R209 Allen County Public Library, 900 Library Plaza, Fort Wayne, IN 46801-2270 USA, E-Mail Address: Genealogy@ACPL.Info URL: http://www.genealogycenter.org/Home.aspx
- Find A Grave Memorial# 18761806 -Burial at Indian River Cemetery, Clinton, Middlesex County, Connecticut
On 17 Apr 2013 Sharon (Hoffmann) Meeds wrote:
Login to add your own memory.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with William by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Puritan Great Migration Project WikiTree, John Ellis, Donna Gehring, Jonathan Watkins, Kay Carter, Judith Meagher, and Ellen Blackwell. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 13 Nov 2016 at 02:18 GMT Lisa (Kelsey) Murphy wrote:
On 24 Mar 2016 at 23:04 GMT Deirdre Lavieri wrote:
On 26 Dec 2015 at 20:53 GMT April (Dellinger) Dauenhauer wrote:
On 19 Jun 2014 at 11:55 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
On 19 Jun 2014 at 03:16 GMT Dan Thompson wrote:
On 18 Jun 2014 at 20:39 GMT April (Dellinger) Dauenhauer wrote:
Please read the profile Mark Kelsey.
Documentation has been added proving that Berthia Hopkins-173 is not his mother, and not the wife of William Kelsey-7.
I'm asking managers of related profiles if they agree on removing her from wife to William Kelsey.
Please let me know your thoughts on this.
PS I see Jillaine already has documented her thoughts. see message below:)
On 6 May 2014 at 22:08 GMT Jillaine Smith wrote:
William is 15 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 9 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 22 degrees from Ayn Rand, 19 degrees from Peter Roberts and 16 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.