- Joseph Knight's Profile
- Family Tree & Genealogy Tools
- Joseph Knight was born about 1624 in Romsey, Southampton, England.
Marriage and Children
- Married: Hannah Unknown, before 10 December 1649.  On this date, he sold his house in Watertown with Hannah his wife, and removed to Woburn.  She is sometimes said to be Hannah Lamb, or Hannah Russell - neither of these names are proven (see errors below).
- Children of Joseph and Hannah Knight:  
- (1) Sarah b. March 8, 1651
- (2) Samuel, b. Sept 8, 1652 & died Dec 26, 1653
- (3) Hannah b. Mar 25, 1654
- (4) John b. Jan 16, 1665/6
- (5) Elizabeth b. April 7, 1658, m. Thomas Kinne Sr., 23 May 1677, Concord, MA
- (6) Mary b. June 6, 1660 died April 10, 1661
- (7) Dinah b. July 4, 1661 m. John Morse of Watertown 1686
- (8) Samuel (again) b. Mar 18, 1663
- (9) Mary b. Dec 12, 1672; died March 1, 1673
- (10) Joseph b. Dec 12, 1673
- (11) Edward b. Aug 31, 1677
- (12) Isaac b. Feb 24, 1679/80; died Mar 4, 1679/80
- (13) James b. April 22, 1681 & died the next day.
- Died: Joseph Knight, Sr. died 13 August 1687 in Woburn, Massachusetts.
- "Knight, Joseph, Sen., s. of ----, Aug. 13, 1687." 
- His wife Hannah died 13 January 1694/5 in Woborn.
- "Hannah, relict of Joseph Knight, se., died 13 Jan. 1694-5."  
Common Errors to Avoid
- Wife's LNAB: His wife Hannah is commonly found on the internet as possibly being Hannah Lamb, the daughter of Edward Lamb born 10 December 1633 in Watertown.  No evidence has been found to support this identification. Anderson, in his Great Migration profile of Edward Lamb, states that no further record has been found regarding Hannah Lamb besides her birth record.  It is not an impossibility that this is true, just apparently not proven and without evidence. It should be noted that the Watertown lands of Edward Lamb and John Knight were immediately adjacent to each other. 
- Holman, in her Stevens Ancestry, calls her Hannah [Russell?].  The basis of calling her possibly Russell is not known.
- Footnotes and citations:
- ↑ NOTE: this is the date most often given as his marriage to Hannah Lamb.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Sewell. History of Woburn, p. 623-624.
- ↑ Torrey's Marriages, v. 2, p. 907
- ↑ Woolsen, p. 58
- ↑ Woburn Vital Records, part I: Births, p. 145-146.
- ↑ Woburn Vital Records, part II Deaths p. 108
- ↑ Woburn Vital Records, part II Deaths p. 108
- ↑ Watertown Records: Births and deaths and marriages, p. 3
- ↑ Anderson. Great Migration Begins vol. 2, p. 1151
- ↑ Watertown Records: Lands, Grants and Posessions, p. 94.
- ↑ Holman. Stevens Ancestry, vol. 1 p. 232
- Source list:
- Sewall, Samuel. The History of Woburn, Middlesex County, Mass., from the grant of its territory to Charlestown, in 1640, to the year 1860 (BVoston, 1868):623-624. Archive.org LINK
- Watertown, Watertown Records: Comprising the first and second books of town proceedings with the lands grants and possessions, also the proprietors' book and the first book and supplement of births and deaths and marriages. (Watertown: Historical Society of Watertown, 1894):3. Archive.org LINK
- Anderson, Robert Charles. The Great Migration Begins: Immigrants to New England 1620-1633, vol. 2 G - O, (Boston: NEHGS, 1995):1151. AmericanAncestors.org (paid) LINK
- Torrey, Clarence Almon. Torrey's New England Marriages to 1700, vol. 2 (Boston: NEHGS, 2008):907. AmericanAncestors.org (paid) LINK
- Holman, Mary Lovering. Ancestry of Colonel John Harrington Stevens and his wife Frances Helen Miller, (1948):232.
- Woolson, Lula May. The Woolson-Fenno Ancestry and Allied Lines, with Biographical Sketches. (Springfield, VT, 1907):58. Archive.org LINK
- Woburn, Johnson, Edward Francis ed. Woburn Records of Births, Deaths, and Marriages from 1640 to 1873, part I: Births. (Woburn, 1890): 145-146. Archive.org LINK
- Woburn, Johnson, Edward Francis ed. Woburn Records of Births, Deaths, and Marriages from 1640 to 1873, part II: Deaths. (Woburn, 1890): 108. Archive.org LINK
- Acknowledgements and Contributors:
- WikiTree profile Knight-1291 created through the import of Scoullar Family Tree dec07.ged on Jul 10, 2011 by Rhonda Scoullar. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Rhonda and others.
- WikiTree profile Knight-1220 created through the import of WALKER2Large.ged on Jun 9, 2011 by Amanda Walker. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Amanda and others.
- WikiTree profile Knight-2528 created through the import of my family 10.ged on Aug 1, 2012 by Lydia Vierson. See the Changes page for the details of edits by Lydia and others.
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
No known carriers of Joseph's Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA have taken yDNA or mtDNA tests.
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Lydia Vierson, Eugene Quigley, Beverley Scott, and Rhonda Scoullar. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
There are no public comments yet.
Joseph is 13 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 14 degrees from Abraham Lincoln, 22 degrees from Ayn Rand, 17 degrees from Peter Roberts and 17 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II of the Commonwealth Realms on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.