Categories: Lewis and Clark Expedition Project | Pioneer Cemetery, Hohenwald, Tennessee | Explorers | Whiskey Rebellion | American Heroes | Missouri Territory Governors | Namesakes US Counties | Notables.
||Meriwether Lewis was involved in the westward expansion of the USA.|
Join: Lewis and Clark Expedition Project
Discuss: and Clark Expedition Lewis and Clark Expedition
1st Territorial Governor
of Louisiana Territory
3rd Territorial Governor
Part of the explorer team of Lewis and Clark
Meriwether Lewis (August 18, 1774 – October 11, 1809) born in Albemarle County Virginia. He was the second child and first son of William and Lucy Meriwether Lewis. His father, who served in the Continental Army, died after his horse fell into an icy stream in 1779. Six month later, his mother married another Army officer, Captain John Marks, and raised Meriwether and his two siblings while managing a 1,000 acre plantation about 10 miles from Monticello. Meriwether Lewis was an American explorer, soldier, and public administrator, best known for his role as the leader of the Lewis and Clark Expedition, also known as the Corps of Discovery, with William Clark. Their mission was to explore the territory of the Louisiana Purchase, establish trade and sovereignty over the natives near the Missouri River, and claim the Pacific Northwest and Oregon territory for the United States before European nations. They also collected scientific data, and information on indigenous nations. President Thomas Jefferson appointed him Governor of Upper Louisiana in 1806. He died of gunshot wounds in what was either a murder or suicide.
Oral tradition also holds that Meriwether Lewis and a Teton Sioux woman named Ikpsapewin (Winona) conceived a child. The boy, known both as Turkey Head and as Joseph Lewis DeSmet, lived until the age of 84. His baptismal record, which was written when he was an elderly man, lists Lewis as his father.
According to other traditions, Lewis fathered a man named Martin Charger when among the Sioux. Other sources list Joseph Lewis DeSmet as the father of Martin Charger.
There is no DNA evidence to prove or disprove either of these claims.
- Counties in six U.S. states have been named in Meriwether Lewis's honor: Idaho, Kentucky, Missouri, Montana, Tennessee, and Washington.
- ↑ On June 4, 1812, the Territory of Louisiana was renamed to the Territory of Missouri to avoid confusion with the newly admitted state of Louisiana formed from the Territory of Orleans.
- Thornton 1300 -1917 by Mrs. Lola Jane Carr-Bates
- "Meriwether Lewis." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 23 Oct. 2012. Web. 25 Oct. 2012. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meriwether_Lewis>.
- PBS Biography of Captain Meriweather Lewis - http://www.pbs.org/lewisandclark/inside/mlewi.html
- Frances Hunter's American Heroes Blog - "Did Lewis and Clark Father Indian Sons" found at https://franceshunter.wordpress.com/2009/10/23/did-lewis-and-clark-father-indian-sons/
- Find A Grave Memorial# 623
- WikiData: Q313492 Wikidata Information Reasonator enwiki Ancestors (about wikidata)
Searching for someone else?
Do you have a GEDCOM? Login to have every name in your tree searched. It's free (like everything on WikiTree).
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Meriwether by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA. Y-chromosome DNA test-takers in his direct paternal line on WikiTree:
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Family Tree DNA.
Images: 1 Collaboration
- Login to edit this profile.
- Private Messages: Contact the Profile Managers privately: Vic Watt, Thomas Allen, and Allen Minix. (Best when privacy is an issue.)
- Public Comments: Login to post. (Best for messages specifically directed to those editing this profile. Limit 20 per day.)
- Public Q&A: These will appear above and in the Genealogist-to-Genealogist (G2G) Forum. (Best for anything directed to the wider genealogy community.)
On 13 Nov 2016 at 01:59 GMT Rick Brown wrote:
Relationships are based on shared ancestry. The first common ancestor we found for Meriwether Lewis and Rick Brown is David Crawford.
To name the relationship we first had to name the relationship between Meriwether and David and the relationship between Rick and David. See the relationship trails below for the details. We then found the intersection of their relationships to David on a relationship table.
We can't call this relationship DNA-Confirmed, Confident, or Uncertain because one or more parent-child relationships in the connection are unmarked or non-biological. See below for more details.
Explore more: 408 common ancestors were found between Meriwether and Rick within 25 generations. To view the relationship trails, select the common ancestor here. Advanced filter: Enter one to three additional WikiTree IDs, separated by commas, to limit the common ancestor list to those that are also ancestors of other people. This is made for working with DNA matches. FILTER more information Help Relationship Trails
1. Meriwether is the son of William Lewis [unknown confidence] 2. William is the son of Jane (Meriwether) Lewis [unknown confidence] 3. Jane is the daughter of Elizabeth (Crawford) Meriwether [unknown confidence] 4. Elizabeth is the daughter of David Crawford [unknown confidence]
This trail tells us that David is the second great grandfather of Meriwether.
1. [Private] is the son of Cecil O'dell Brown [unknown confidence] 2. Cecil is the son of Nathan Virgel Brown [unknown confidence] 3. Nathan is the son of Benjamin Buckhannan Brown [unknown confidence] 4. Benjamin is the son of Mary Wells (Smith) Brown [unknown confidence] 5. Mary is the daughter of Miriam (Poindexter) Smith [unknown confidence] 6. Miriam is the daughter of Archibald Pledge Poindexter [unknown confidence] 7. Archibald is the son of Thomas Poindexter III [unknown confidence] 8. Thomas is the son of Thomas Poindexter II [unknown confidence] 9. Thomas is the son of Sarah (Crawford) Poindexter [unknown confidence] 10. Sarah is the daughter of David Crawford [unknown confidence]
This trail tells us that David is the eighth great grandfather of Rick.
On 14 Nov 2014 at 04:26 GMT Doug Lockwood wrote:
On 14 Nov 2014 at 04:15 GMT Doug Lockwood wrote:
On 14 Nov 2014 at 04:14 GMT Doug Lockwood wrote:
Meriwether is 19 degrees from Kevin Bacon, 34 degrees from Charlotte Brontë, 19 degrees from Bob Keniston, 20 degrees from Ben Kingsley and 13 degrees from Queen Elizabeth II Windsor on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.