Philemon Libby was born on 29 May 1749 in Scarborough, Maine. His parents were John Libby and Anna (Fogg) Libby.
He married Martha Small on 8 May 1772 in Scarborough. They lived there for a time before moving to Limington, Maine, around 1777. They were one of the first families to settle in the town. They had ten children, the first three in Scarborough and the rest in Limington:
1. Rufus, born 4 May 1773; married Dorcas Strout
2. Philemon, born 7 Jul 1775; married Liberty Norris
3. Eunice, born 2 Sept 1776; died 1782
4. James, born 11 Jan 1779; married Emma Chase
5. Abner, born 29 May 1781; married Olive Gray Chase
6. Martha, born 28 Aug 1783; married Isaac Mitchell
7. Eunice, born 13 Apr 1786; died 1787
8. Anna Small, born 29 Jan 1788; married David Otis
9. Dorothy, born 28 Jun 1791; married Francis Small
10. Eunice, born 4 Jul 1795; married Benjamin Tyler
Philemon passed away on 22 December 1811 in Limington.
Libby, Charles Thornton. The Libby Family in America, 1602-1881. Portland, Maine: B. Thurston & Co., 1882. Pages 66-67.
Thank you to Dawn Westerling for creating WikiTree profile Libby-937 through the import of The Opperman_Westerling Tree.ged on May 28, 2013. Click to the Changes page for the details of edits by Dawn and others.
It may be possible to confirm family relationships with Philemon by comparing test results with other carriers of his Y-chromosome or his mother's mitochondrial DNA.
However, there are no known yDNA or mtDNA test-takers in his direct paternal or maternal line.
It is likely that these autosomal DNA test-takers will share DNA with Philemon: