Winfield Scott Lovecraft was named after General Winfield Scott, who visited Rochester, New York, on 14 October 1852.
Winfield Scott Lovecraft was born in 1853, but owing to difficulties he did not remove to Mount Vernon with his parents in 1863. He remained in Rochester with various of his relatives working at his trade of blacksmith.
In the early 1870s he worked for the James Cunningham, Son & Company carriage factory as a blacksmith. His whereabouts from 1874 to 1889 are not clear, although it has been suggested that he worked in New York City for his cousin, Frederick.
In 1889 he began working as a traveling salesman for Providence’s Gorham & Company. He married Sarah Susan Phillips on 12 June 1889 at St. Paul’s in Boston.
In 1893 he began having hallucinations while in Chicago on business, and on 25 April he was admitted to Butler Hospital in Providence, diagnosed as having “general paresis” – the tertiary stage of neurosyphilis.
Burial at Swan Point Cemetery, Providence, Providence, Rhode Island, United States
Have you taken a DNA test for genealogy? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.