James Lowrie was born in about January 1844 in Lantonford, Northumberland, England. His parents were William and Susan Lowrie. He worked as the Station Master at Leamside Railway Station. for almost 50 years until his retirement in 1909.
In 1851 and 1861 the England Census shows he was living in Northumberland.
After his retirement in 1909 he and his daughter Edith left West Rainton and moved to Liverpool, where they settled in West Derby with his daughter Susan (Lowrie) Fairs, son-in-law John Thomas Fairs and grandson Geoffrey Fairs (1911 Census).
He passed away in 1911, not long after the 1911 Census. His death was registered during Q2, 1911.
With the increased demand for coal to power the industrialisation of Britain the wooden waggonways used for transporting coal were replaced by the locomotives and iron railways. The Leamside Line was the former Main Line through Ferryhill, Leamside, Fencehouses, Penshaw and Washington to Pelaw. The companies using the line were the Durham Junction Railway and the Newcastle and Darlington Junction Railway. In 1854 the North Eastern Railway was formed and in the 1881 census James Lowrie was listed as the Station Master of Leamside Station.