Extract from Wikipedia-
The Earl was the son of Thomas Lyon, 8th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne, and his wife, the former Jean Nicholsen. In 1767, he married the heiress Mary Eleanor Bowes, and as per the stipulations of the will of the father of the bride, assumed his wife's name of Bowes. This change of name required an Act of Parliament. The two had five children:
From 1 October 1767 and until his death, he sat as a Scottish Representative peer in the House of Lords. On 7 March 1776, Lord Strathmore died of tuberculosis whilst at sea on his way to Portugal.
John [Lyon later Bowes], 9th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
born - 17 Jul 1737
21 Feb 1767 Mary Eleanor Bowes (mar. (2) 17 Jan 1777 (div. 3 Mar 1789) Andrew Robinson Stoney later Stoney-Bowes MP, of Coldpig Hill, co. Durham; d. 28 Apr 1800), only dau. and hrss. of George Bowes, of Streatlam Castle and Gibside, co. Durham, by his second wife Mary Gilbert, dau. of Edward Gilbert, of St Paul's Walden, co. Hertford
1. Hon John Bowes, later 10th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
2. Hon George Bowes, of St Paul's Walden, co. Hertford (b. 17 Nov 1771; dsp. 26 Dec 1806), mar. 14 Jun 1805 Mary Thornhill (mar. (2) 1811 her brother-in-law Col Barrington Price, of Becket, co. Gloucester), dau. of Edward Thornhill, of Kingston Lisle, co. Berkshire
3. Hon Thomas Bowes later Bowes-Lyon, later 11th Earl of Strathmore and Kinghorne
1. Lady Mary Bowes (b. 22 Apr 1768; d. 22 Apr 1806), mar. 11 May 1789 Col Barrington Price, of Becket, co. Gloucester
2. Lady Anna Maria Bowes (d. 29 Mar 1832), mar. 22 Jan 1778 Henry James Jessop
died - 7 Mar 1776
Have you taken a DNA test? If so, login to add it. If not, see our friends at Ancestry DNA.
John is 16 degrees from David Crockett, 25 degrees from Juan Almonte, 20 degrees from Juana Alsbury, 16 degrees from Micajah Autry, 17 degrees from James Bonham, 16 degrees from James Bowie, 28 degrees from Susanna Dickinson, 17 degrees from Patrick Herndon, 16 degrees from James Neill, 22 degrees from Juan Seguin, 16 degrees from William Travis and 19 degrees from Todd Murray on our single family tree. Login to find your connection.